ROLL OF HONOR
NAMES OF SOLDIERS
DIED IN DEFENCE OF THE AMERICAN UNION
INTERRED IN THE
WASHINGTON, D. C.
AUGUST 2, 1861 TO JUNE 30, 1865
“On fame’s eternal camping ground
Their silent tents are spread,
And glory guards with solemn round
The bivouac of the dead”
GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE.
GENERAL ORDERS, QUARTERMASTER GENERAL’S OFFICE No. 35 Washington, D. C. , June 15, 1865
The following roll of names of soldiers -- victims of the rebellion-- interred in the several military cemeteries at the capital of the United States , is published by authority of the Secretary of War, for the information of their comrades and friends.
M. C. MEIGS Quartermaster General. Brevet Major General.
The following pages are devoted to the memory of those heroes who have given up their lives upon the altar of their country, in defense of the American Union, and who now rest within the limits of the United States Military Asylum, Harmony, Battle, and the New National Cemeteries.1
The United States Military Asylum Cemetery is situated about two miles northeast of the city, or about one mile from the Seventh street toll-gate, upon a portion of the asylum, from whence it derives its name. It contains about six acres, laid out into blocks, divided into ranges, and subdivided into single graves, The first interment took place August 3, 1861 and owing to the great mortality among the soldiers in the hospitals of Washington, the space allotted was filled May 13, 1864. It now contains five thousand two hundred and eleven graves.2
This city of the dead has been neatly and appropriately decorated, All the graves have been sodded, the walks are graveled, trees, flowers, and shrubbery have been planted, vine-shaded seats and a plain lodge have been erected for the comfort and reception of visitors. The whole place is surrounded with a suitable fence. A neat and appropriate tablet is placed at the head of each grave, painted white and lettered in black with the name, company, regiment, and the date of the death.
The Harmony Cemetery is located on the new Bladensburg road, about one and one-half miles from the city. It was opened February 17, 1863, and is reserved for those who die of contagious diseases.3
The Battle Cemetery derives its name from the sharp engagement which took place around its site on the 12thof July, 1864. It is situated on the Seventh street road, about one-quarter of a mile north of Fort Stevens, or a little more than four miles from the city, and en closed by a neat fence, and laid out in walks, and decorated with trees and shrubbery. The graves of those who fell repulsing the rebel attack on Washington are placed in a circle with a flag-staff in the center, from which the emblem of our nationality waves over the remains of those who died in its defense.4
Since the closing of the of the United States Military Asylum Cemetery, interments have been made at Arlington, Va. , upon the estate formerly the residence of the rebel general R. E. Lee.5
This cemetery is located about three miles from the city, and is reached by way of the aqueduct bridge, Georgetown, D. C. It was opened May 13, 1864 and now contains, June 30, 1865 five thousand and three bodies.
Interments are daily taking place here, The same system of burial is carried on as in the other cemeteries, and the ground is laid off in the same manner, excepting that the blocks are larger and are subdivided into sections.
Already the place is enclosed. It covers about one hundred and fifty acres. Unlike the United States Military Asylum Cemetery, the ground is undulating, which greatly enhances the beauty of the cemetery,
The Custis mansion has been converted into an office for the transaction of business , and for the reception of those who go to visit the graves of friends and relatives.
The ground is being rapidly improved and ornamented, that it may become worthy of those who rest therein, and stand as a monument of a nation’s gratitude to her fallen defenders.
In these grounds rest, also, the remains of many of those who have died in Washington as prisoners of war, and who received in hospitals and after death, the same care and attention as our own soldiers.
1. The new National Cemeteries were at Arlington and Alexandria, VA.
2. These are all Civil War graves.
3. Removed to Arlington National Cemetery. The Cemetery no longer exists.
4. The Cemetery is no longer open for burials.
5. The government purchased the site at public auction following tax default by Robert E. Lee after he left to join the Confederacy. For further details see No. XV.
Home Preface Background Index Legend Name Listing Bibliography
A Special Research Project created especially for Vermont in the Civil War
by Richard Barry, a Green Mountain Boy!