ROLL OF HONOR
NAMES OF SOLDIERS
IN DEFENCE OF THE AMERICAN UNION
PRISON PENS THROUGHOUT THE SOUTH
"Whether on the scaffold high,
Or in the battle's van,
The noble place for man to die
Is where he dies for man. "
WASHINGTON, D. C.
GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE
GENERAL ORDER QUARTERMASTER GENERAL'S OFFICE No. 7 Washington, D. C. , February 20, 1868.
The following list of the names of deceased Union Soldiers who died and were buried at the various Prisons at the South during the war, forwarded by Brevet Brigadier General J. J. Dana. Q. M. U. S. A. , is published by authority of the Secretary of War, for the information of surviving comrades and friends.
D. H. RUCKER Acting Quartermaster General, Brevet Major General, U. S. A.
QUARTERMASTER GENERAL'S OFFICE, SIXTH DIVISION, WASHINGTON, D, C, July 24, 1867
Brevet Major General D. H. RUCKER. Acting Quartermaster General, U. S. A. Washington, D. C.
I have the honor to submit herewith for publication the record of the names of a portion of the Union Soldiers who died in the prison pens throughout the States lately in rebellion: being "Roll of Honor" No. XIV.
This record contains the names of about 12, 000 Union prisoners, and is arranged alphabetically under the names of the various places in the different Southern States where they are now interred. ; it contains all the names of deceased Union prisoners which this office has been able to obtain, excepting the 13, 000 names of prisoners who died at Andersonville, Ga. , which have already been published in General Order No, 69 ½, from this office, November , 1865, and such other names as been heretofore been published in other Rolls of Honor.
It is presumed that not more than half of the remains of these soldiers have been identified as yet.
These names have been obtained principally from the records on file in the Office of the Commissary General of Prisoners, on which they have been entered from the original death rolls, so far as hitherto obtained. From a great many of the prisons at the South, however, no rolls have as yet been obtained, having been destroyed or secreted by the keepers of the prisoners at the close of the war; for this reason there will be found in this list only a small portion of the names of those buried at the prisons in Tennessee, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Florida, and at Salisbury, N. C. , and Florence, S. C. , and none at all of the names of those buried at many other places where Union prisoners were confined.
The rolls recovered were, at most, very incomplete, for which reason the " cause of death" appears within for only about one-half the number of the deceased; in most instances, where recorded, it is given as chronic diarrhea, scurvy, dysentery, or wounds.
I am, General,
your obedient servant
J. J. DANA Major and Quartermaster General, U. S. A. Brevet Major General
DANVILLE NATIONAL CEMETERY, VA.
Abstract of the reports of Brevet Lieutenant Colonel J. M. Moore, Quartermaster, U. S. A. in charge, dated January 9 and February 12, 1868.
This cemetery is situated one-fourth of a mile south of the city of Danville, Pittsylvania county, Va. , ( 140 miles southwest of Richmond) just within the corporation limits, half a mile from the Dan river, and immediately adjoining the city cemetery. The county road Greensboro', N. C. and also the Piedmont railroad to the same place, pass within a short distance. Like the Richmond cemetery, it is admirably adapted for the interment of the dead, and embraces three acres of land, which formed a portion of the Widow Greene's estate.
The country adjacent is hilly and well watered by a number of beautiful streams; the valleys and slopes are heavily timbered; the scenery diversified and picturesque.
Unlike most sections of Virginia, the traces of war are not visible; but highly cultivated farms and homesteads meet the eye.
The cemetery is enclosed by a substantial picket fence, which is in perfect repair, and will last for years. The head boards are in good condition, and in sufficient number. As in all other National Cemeteries constructed under the direction of Colonel Moore, the ground has been laid out in sections and subdivisions, with walks intersecting each other at right angles, and with a mound in the centre, on which a flagstaff has been erected.
But few trees or shrubs have been planted as yet. In the spring however, additional ones will be set out and the cemetery still further improved and beautified.
Operations at this cemetery commenced December 15, 1866, and were completed July 31, 1867, The working party was under the charge of Superintendent J. J. Johnson, who acted under the supervision of Colonel Moore, Chief Quartermaster of the district.
The remains of United States soldiers interred were almost entirely those of prisoners of war who died in rebel prisons in Danville, with some few removed from the surrounding country.
The prisoners were confined in seven "tobacco warehouses" which were situated in the city of Danville, at a distance of from one-half to three-quarters of a mile north of the cemetery.
The total number of interments made is as follows, viz:
United States soldiers, known 1, 175 United States soldiers, unknown, 148 ______ Total 1, 323
The names of 1, 280 additional deceased Union soldiers have been printed in Roll of Honor, Vol. XIII.RICHMOND NATIONAL CEMETERY, VA.
Abstract of the reports of Brevet Lieutenant Colonel J. M. Moore, Quartermaster, U. S. A. , in charge, dated January 9 and February 12, 1868.
This cemetery is situated in Henrico county, southeast of Richmond, Va. , on the south side of the Williamsburg road, and near the fork of the Darby road, two miles from the city limits, and one and a half miles from the James river. It is Located on a site well adapted for burial purposes. The land is high, rolling, and elevated one hundred sixty feet above tide-water. It embraces eight acres, five of which were originally owned by William Brown, and three by William Slater.
The surrounding scenery is not picturesque, nor is it devoid of interest; affording a commanding view of the city and, in the distance, the valley of the James.
The cemetery is just within the inner line of fortifications thrown up by the rebels, which is still visible; but heavy rains and the plough of the farmer are fast obliterating these reminiscences. It is enclosed by a substantial picket fence in excellent condition; the posts are of cedar and the sills &c. of pine. The wicket gateway at the entrance bears the inscription, "U . S. National Cemetery, Richmond, Va. "
It is divided by a rectangular system of paths, into sections and divisions, A carriage drive passes through the middle, and surrounds the whole, A flagstaff has been erected in the centre, from which the national colors are displayed from sunrise until sunset, This is surrounded by a high mound, upon which has been placed a stand for visitors.
Each grave is designated by a neat tablet or head board, painted white, and bearing, in black letters, the name, rank, company, regiment and date of death of the deceased.
The walks are in fine order, well settled and graveled. Brick drains are placed on the sides of the walks and drives.
Neither trees nor shrubbery have as yet been planted, the transportations and employees having been engaged in making substantial and necessary repairs until the suspension of work at the beginning of this winter. As soon as the weather will permit, the National Cemeteries throughout this district will be suitably adorned with trees and shrubbery.
Operations on this cemetery were commenced on September 1, 1866, and were completed September 30, 1867. The working party in charge of Superintendent A. M. Dougherty, who acted under the direction of Colonel J. M. Moore, Chief Quartermaster of the district.
The interments made comprise bodies removed from Belle Isle, Hollywood, Oakwood, and Pour-House cemeteries, at Richmond, VA. , and several hundred removed from Hanover Courthouse, Cold Harbor, Gaines Mills, and Fort Harrison, Va. , which had not been previously found.
The total number of interments made is as follows, viz:
United Sates soldiers, Known 817 United States soldiers, unknown 5, 459 Total 6, 276
SALISBURY NATIONAL CEMETERY, N. C.
This cemetery is situated near Salisbury, Rowan County, N. C. , which is on the North Carolina Railroad, and about 132 miles west of Raleigh.
Originally there were two soldier's cemeteries at Salisbury. The first and principle one is situated on a small hill, about half a mile southwest of Salisbury, and about one hundred yards south of the North Carolina Railroad, and is enclosed with a hard fence, and contains about one and one half acres of ground. It contains thirteen (13) trenches, in which were buried without coffins or boxes, and without any means of identifying them, ( except sixteen (16) belonging to the Masonic Fraternity) about 5, 000 bodies of deceased Union soldiers, who died while confined in the Salisbury prison, and in hospitals near the "stockade, " during the rebellion.
The burial of these soldiers in so inhumane a manner was done by one Sergeant Harris, under the orders of Major Gee, both of the rebel army. Out of some nine or ten thousand soldiers confined here, over five thousand fell victims to the cruelty of the rebels then in charge, by starvation and disease.
The other called the Lutheran Cemetery, was situated about one hundred and fifty (150) yards northwest of the railroad depot. The exact number of graves of Union soldiers buried in this cemetery could not be ascertained, on account of the indiscriminate burial of rebels in the same ground; also on account of the irregularity of the graves , and of the want of headboards.
In this cemetery were buried fourteen (14) Union soldiers, who, upon taking the oath of allegiance to the rebel government were admitted to the rebel hospital, where they afterwards died. There is no record of State, regiment, or arm of service of these men; no headboards at their graves; and therefore they cannot be identified.
The bodies from this cemetery and some others from the vicinity of Salisbury, estimated in all at about one hundred (100) in number, are now being re-interred in the principle Cemetery.
The trenches are each to be surrounded by a wall about one foot in height, which is to be filled up with earth, making a mound over the trench, and grass seed is to be sown. The paths to be neatly graveled, trees set out, and wooden tablets, painted white, to be erected, with the following inscription in black letters: "U. S. Soldiers. Unknown. "
In the centre of the Cemetery is to be raised a mound or circle thirty (30) feet in diameter, with a proper flagstaff in the centre. The whole is to be surrounded by a neat and substantial fence , with a gateway, over which will be an arch, bearing the inscription, "United States National Cemetery;" and such other improvements are to be carried out as will tend to give neat and attractive appearance to the place.CHARLESTON NATIONAL CEMETERY ( RACE TRACK)In this Cemetery are buried two hundred and fifty- one (251) Union soldiers, who died while confined at the "Race Course Prison" near the city of Charleston, S. C.
The enclosure is surrounded by a wooden fence nine (9) feet high.
Numbered stakes were placed at two hundred forty-nine (249) of these graves. Only one was provided with a head board showing the name and regiment of the soldier. Eight of the graves are supposed to be those of officers.
The names published in this volume are copied from the death records of the prison; but no records have as yet been found by which the identity of the individual graves can be established.
The bodies interred in this Cemetery will probably removed to some more permanent situation in one of the larger National Cemeteries; probably to that at Beaufort, S. C.FLORENCE NATIONAL CEMETERY, SOUTH CAROLINA
This cemetery is situated about one and a half mile southeast of Florence, in Darlington District, South Carolina, near the intersection of the Wilmington and Manchester and the Charleston and Northeastern Railroads, and one-fourth of a mile from the Florence prison stockade, and about one hundred and two miles from Charleston, South Carolina. There were originally two burial places here--- about four hundred feet apart-- the larger one covering an area of about four acres of ground, and containing 2, 322 graves; the smaller one covering an acre of ground, and containing 416 graves; making, with 55 other bodies removed from the vicinity, 2, 793 graves in all. The bodies in the smaller Cemetery have been removed to the larger one. The bodies have been arranged close together, numbering about fifty graves in each row. New head boards of suitable form , have been placed at the graves, bearing the original marks and numbers ( running as high as 2, 482 ) found on the old head boards. These numbers, it is thought, will correspond with those on the records kept by the officer in charge of the "Prison Pen" if those records are ever recovered. A liberal reward has been offered for the records by the Quartermaster General, which will be paid upon their delivery to him. Sufficient space is left upon each head board to insert the name, regiment &c. , of the soldier, if ever ascertained. The soil is a sandy loam, and well adapted to the purpose of interments. This Cemetery is now enclosed with a neat and substantial post and board fence, five feet high , and well whitewashed. A flag staff is to be erected in the centre of the Cemetery; and such walks and avenues may be necessary to a proper access to the different pats of the Cemetery are to be laid out and well graveled. Trees and shrubbery are to be set out, and the surface well drained; and such other improvements as may be necessary to give the grounds a neat and attractive appearance will be made. A superintendent has been appointed from among the soldiers disabled in the rebellion, to take charge of the place and a lodge for his accommodation is being built at the main entrance.MILLEN NATIONAL CEMETERY, GEORGIA
This Cemetery is situated at Lawtonville, near the "Stockade" five miles from Millen Ga. , which is on the "Central Georgia Railroad, " 79 miles northeast of Savannah. Originally there were two burial places here. The larger one was situated one and a half miles south of "Hack's Mill, " and contained three trenches, holding, respectively 150, 319, and 491 bodies-- in all 960. The smaller one was situated one mile southwest of "Hack's Mill, " and had but one trench, containing 682 bodies. There were also four scattered graves outside the enclosure. These two burial places have been consolidated, and the scattered bodies reinterred with the rest. A substantial board fence, well whitewashed, encloses the Cemetery; and suitable headboards, painted white and lettered in black, have been erected at the graves of those who could be identified. The records kept by the officer in charge of the Stockade, under the rebel General Winder are supposed to have been taken away or concealed, and as yet have not been recovered. A liberal reward has been offered by the Quartermaster General for the recovery of these records, which offer is still outstanding. A suitable space has been left upon the head boards, at the graves of those not identified, to insert the name, regiment, &c. , of the soldier if ever ascertained. [NOTE-- All the bodies have been removed from the above Cemetery to the National Cemetery at Beaufort, South Carolina, during the month of February 1868]Quartermaster General's Office, May 8, 1868.