ROLL OF HONOR

(NO. X)


NAMES OF SOLDIERS

WHO

DIED IN DEFENSE OF THE AMERICAN UNION,

INTERRED IN THE

NATIONAL CEMETERIES

AT

FREDERICKSBURG, VIRGINIA; MOBILE, ALABAMA; AND FORT GIBSON, INDIAN
TERRITORY AND NAMES NOT HERETOFORE PUBLISHED OF UNION
SOLDIERS INTERRED IN THE NATIONAL CEMETERIES AT
HAMPTON, VIRGINIA; BARRANCAS, FLORIDA; AND
ALEXANDRIA, LOUISIANA.


"Let summer send her golden sunbeams down
   In graceful salutations for the dead,
And autumns moving host of leaflets brown
   Break ranks above the fallen soldier's head. "


WASHINGTON:
GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE.
1870


ROLL OF HONOR No. XXV.

QUARTERMASTER GENERAL'S OFFICE,
Washington, D. C. , March 10, 1870


The following Roll of Honor, prepared in the cemeteries branch of this office, under the direction of Brevet Brigadier General Alex. J. Perry. Quartermaster United States Army, containing the records of the graves of twenty five thousand seven hundred and sixty six (25, 766) Union soldiers interred in the national cemeteries at Fredericksburg, Virginia, Mobile, Alabama; Barrancas, Florida; Alexandria, Louisiana; and Fort Gibson, Indian Territory, is published by authority of the Secretary of War, for the information of their surviving comrades and friends.

M. C. MEIGS
Quartermaster General. Brevet Major General U. S. A.


QUARTERMASTER GENERAL'S OFFICE,
Washington, D. C. , March 5, 1870


GENERAL: I have the honor to submit herewith for publication, ( as the twenty-fifth volume of the Roll of Honor) the record of twenty five thousand seven hundred and sixty six( 25, 766) graves of deceased Union soldiers interred in the national cemeteries at Fredericksburg, Virginia; Hampton, Virginia; Mobile, Alabama; Barrancas, Florida; Alexandria, Louisiana; and Fort Gibson, Indian Territory.
I am, General, very respectfully, your obedient servant

ALEX. J. PERRY
Brevet Brigadier General and Quartermaster, U. S. A.


Brevet Major General M. C. MEIGS
     Quartermaster General U. S, A, , Washington, D. C.


FREDERICKSBURG NATIONAL CEMETERY
TOTAL NUMBER15, 068
KNOWN2, 467
(Officers, 333. Privates, 2, 134)
UNKNOWN 12, 601
(Officers, 27, Privates, 12, 574)

The Fredericksburg National Cemetery is situated about one mile west of the city of Fredericksburg, Virginia on the southern extremity of a prominent bluff, known as Marye's Heights. The surface of the eastern portion of the cemetery is arranged in terraces, each containing one row of graves and following the slope of the original surface, including about one-fourth of the area of the cemetery. The remaining portion of the cemetery is nearly level, excepting the extreme southern part which is broken by a ravine extending some two hundred feet into the cemetery from the southern line.

The cemetery is enclosed with a picket fence, and contains several hundred shade trees, most of which were set out in 1867 and 1868, and will, in a few years, afford a very comfortable shade and improve the present rather bare appearance of the cemetery.

The superintendent's lodge is situated on the right of the entrance, on the eastern side of the cemetery. The graves have been well sodded, the roads and walks graveled, and brick drains constructed n every section and on each side of every road. The remains of fifteen thousand and sixty eight Union soldiers are interred in this cemetery, comprising two thousand four hundred and sixty seven known officers and soldiers, and twelve thousand six hundred and one unknown. The graves are marked by plain white tablets, with inscriptions in black, showing the number of each grave, and the name, rank, and corps, if known. The bodies were collected from the battlefields of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Chancellorsville, and Fredericksburg.

The operations on this cemetery were commenced in the summer of 1866, and were completed in the fall of 1869, The total expense of construction and interments are reported as about $180, 000.

A superintendent has been appointed by the Hon. Secretary of War, and is now in charge of the cemetery, under the direction of rhe chief quartermaster, first military district.


HAMPTON NATIONAL CEMETERY
TOTAL NUMBER OF GRAVES5, 121
NUMBER OF KNOWN4, 642
NUMBER OF UNKNOWN479

The Hampton National Cemetery is located about two and three quarter miles from Fort Monroe, Virginia, in Elizabeth City Cou8nty, Virginia, on a main road leading from Fort Monroe to Hampton, Virginia. It comprises, within its limits 11 7/16 acres of land, and is enclosed by a well-built picket fence.

The lodge of the superintendent is a neat building on the left side of the main entrancem the right side being occupied by a frame church, erected by subscription during the war.

Gun monuments have been erected on each side of the flag staff, and the center of the cemetery is graced by a chaste and beautiful granite monument, erected by private subscription under the direction of Miss Dorothea Dix.

The cemetery was located, and interments therein commenced, on the 27th of June, 1867, under direction of Brevet Colonel A. P. Blunt, assistant quartermaster, United States Army, chief quartermaster first military district at the time. The completion of the cemetery has been directed and supervised by Brevet Lieutenant Colonel Henry W. James, captain and assistant quartermaster United States Army, who was placed in charge of the same on the 28th of March, 1868. On account of the sandy soil, much labor and expense have been incurred to provide the cemetery with good and substantial driveways, and over eleven thousand feet of brick gutters have been constructed.

The entire cost of the cemetery, including interments, will not fall short of $60, 000. The cemetery is very attractive in appearance, and is visited by many strangers, as well as the residents of Fort Monroe and its vicinity.

The bodies of those interred in the cemetery were remove from Big Bethel, Newport News, Norfolk, Craney Island, Deep Creek, Jamestown, Suffolk, Smithfield, Portsmouth, Blackwater , and Cherrystone, Virginia, in addition to those who died in the hospitals established around Fort Monroe.

The drainage of this cemetery is being rapidly pushed forward, and it is expected that it will be completed by the close of the current year.

The number of known soldiers interred in this cemetery is four thousand six hundred and forty two; the number of unknown soldiers interred in this cemetery is four hundred and seventy nine; total number of bodies, known and unknown, five thousand one hundred and twenty one.

A superintendent has been appointed and is now in charge of the cemetery, under the directions of the depot quartermaster, Fort Monroe, Virginia.


NATIONAL CEMETERY AT BARRANCAS, FLORIDA

TOTAL NUMBER1, 391
TOTAL KNOWN719
TOTAL UNKNOWN672


NATIONAL CEMETERY AT ALEXANDRIA, LOUISIANA

TOTAL NUMBER1, 280
TOTAL KNOWN517
TOTAL UNKNOWN763


Home Preface Background Index Legend Name Listing Bibliography

A Special Research Project created especially for Vermont in the Civil War
by Richard Barry, a Green Mountain Boy!