Vermont Flag Site Logo

Individual Record

Brown, Sherrod

Age: 22, credited to New Haven, VT
Unit(s): 1st USSS, VRC
Service: enl 9/8/62, m/i 9/20/62, PVT, Co. F, 1st USSS, wdd 11/27/63, tr to VRC 5/15/64, m/o 9/20/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

Birth: 9/1840, New Haven, VT
Death: 12/11/1924

Burial: Evergreen Cemetery, New Haven, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Alan Lathrop
Findagrave Memorial #: 40785042
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

2nd Great Grandfather of Richard S. Brown, Jr., Clayton, NC

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

Copyright notice

Evergreen Cemetery, New Haven, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.


(Courtesy of Richard L. Smallwood-Roberts)


Sherrod Brown was born September 20, 1840, the second son of Ira and Eliza (Bouge), in New Haven, Vermont. As a youth he worked on his father's farm, which, in later years, became his own. As he grew up he assisted in the toils of the farm as well as pursuing his education in local schools, the district institution, and Beeman Academy.

When the war came upon the country he resolved to give his service to the preservation of its integrity, and enlisted in September 1862, in Company F., Berdan's First United States Sharpshooters. During three years of service, he maintained the honor of the family name and was honorably discharged with a creditable record. Being attached to the Army of the Potomac, he was under fire in these engagements; Snickers Snap, Fredericksburg, Richard's Ford, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Upperville, Wapping Heights, Culpepper Court House, Auburn Creek Ford, Brandy Station, Locust Grove. At the latter engagement, he was permanently disabled by a gunshot wound, November 27, 1863. He was sent to the hospital where he remained two months. On partial recovery, he was detailed as quartermasters clerk at Fort Schuyler, where his grandfather had served so long ago.

On his discharge from military service, Mr. Brown returned to his native town and resumed the cultivations of the home far, which now became necessary on account of his father's advancing years. In 1872 he went to Sioux City, Iowa, where he was employed for some time in a flouring mill and packing house. Returning again to the farm in 1875, he remained until 1876, when he went to Westport, New York, and continued to reside there until 1884, conducting a meat market during most of this period. Since the last named date he has been a resident of his native town, and now resides in the village of New Haven, while his son operates the farm.

With his family, Mr. Brown is affiliated with the Congregational Church of New Haven. He has always been a Republican in political principle and has filled most of the town offices. Upon the adoption of the present school law, he was elected one of the directors of the town and made chairman of the board continuing three years. He is now serving his fifth year as superintendent of schools. Within this period, two graded schools have been established in the town. In 1902 he was the party nominee for representative, but his pronounced prohibition principles caused his defeat, in common with many others, in the local option that swept the state.He is an active member of William P. Russell Post G.A.R., of Middlebury, and Comrades of the Battlefield, a national organization.

Mr. Brown was married September 4, 1868 to Miss Stella E. Braman, who was born August 31, 1844, in Westport New York, a daughter of Jason and Laura (Hubbell) Braman of old New York families. Two sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Brown, Wickliffe and Frank. The latter died at eight years, and the former is now tilling the old homestead.

Hiram Carleton, Genealogical and Family History of the State of Vermont, Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, 1903), ii:511-513.

Courtesy of Deanna French.


In Vermont, having an ancestor who was part of the Revolutionary War is a big thing. It ranks almost as high on the prestigious scale as being related to the Allen family of the Green Mountain Boys fame. It allows one to wear this invisible mantle of honor that is admired and envied by all others who wish they too could claim direct ancestry to this famous (and infamous) connection to America's history. Imagine the surge of pride one would feel if you could claim that it was your grandfather who fired the "shot heard around the world"!! The one individual who in one moment of time performed the single act that set in motion historical events that shaped the destiny of the most influential nation on earth. Sherrod Brown may have been fully justified in making such a boastful statement.

Solomon Brown, Sherrod's grandfather, may have been that individual. He was from Lexington, Massachusetts. He was eighteen years old in April of 1775. He was one of those militia "Minutemen" who formed on the green of that village upon hearing that the "British were coming". And it was he that some historical authorities believe fired the first shot that drew British blood in the War of Independence.[1] Who it really was has been the focus of much debate and investigation ever since the occurrence at Lexington and no one, I believe, has been given the uncontested credit for it. But what is indisputable is that Solomon was on that green in Lexington that day. He was a Revolutionary War soldier. And he was one of the earliest settlers of the township called New Haven in Vermont. He purchased land on Beech Hill, one and one half miles south of the village center on what today is called South Street. He had seventeen children by three different wives: Marina Barnet, (1759-1802); Lorinda; and Eunice (Bigelow?) Lamb (1775-1839). And Ira Brown, Sherrod's father, was one of his sons.[2] In addition to being a Revolutionary soldier, a busy farmer and father, he found time to hold many official town offices including: Grand Juror (ten times between 1791 and 1823); Sealer of Leather *; Highway Surveyor, twice (Road Commissioner today); Tithingman**(twice); Town Treasurer (twenty years); Poundkeeper (32 years); School clerk (twenty years); Moderator at Town Meeting (six times); Hayward***; Selectman (nine years); Fenceviewer; Congregational Church Deacon (twenty-nine years); and numerous other civic committees formed for a variety of town business.[3] Solomon's farmland was located a mile and a half south of the village center at the northern foot of Beech Hill in the town of New Haven. Later, he acquired another plot at the crest of Beech Hill where he built a large, fine brick house. This was the parcel he passed on to his son, Ira, Sherrod's father, who farmed it until he passed it on to Sherrod when he became too old to operate the business anymore.

Ira was born August 22, 1801 in New Haven. He was described as a thrifty and industrious farmer. Typical traits of a New England Protestant. He was a quiet man, well read and an admirer of Horace Greeley. He was, in his politics, a conservative Whig (Republican today). He, like his father before him, identified with the Congregational Church. In 1835, he married Eliza D. Bogue. She had been born in Enosburg, Vermont on June 5, 1812. Sherrod's mother was the daughter of Ebeneezer and Laura Bogue. Both parents were of Scottish descent. Together, Ira and Eliza had five sons and one daughter: Willard (1838-1900); Sherrod (1840-1924); Wickliffe (1842-1865); Winfield (1846-1859); Corintha (1848-1908); and Frank F. (1853-1875).[4] Sherrod was the second oldest son in the family. Willard was the oldest boy. He grew up to become a Congregational minister. Sherrod spent his youth on the New Haven farm, helping Ira with the farm chores whenever he could lend a hand.

By 1850, Ira and Eliza had had all but one of their children. Willard, twelve, and Sherrod, ten, did what they could on the homestead farm in New Haven. Ira, forty-three, had built the farm up nicely by then. It was valued at $2,500 in the 1850 Federal Census. He had a twenty-eight year old hired man working for him. He was Jeremia Doody from Ireland. There were several additional grown females living in the household. One was Betsey Brown, Ira's forty-five year old sister and the other was Sophiona Desafee, a fifty-six year old from New York. It was assumed, but not stated, that both women where there in the household to help Eliza run the house and to manage the five children who ranged in age from twelve to two years old.[5]

When the 1860 Federal Census was conducted, there had been some substantial changes made in Ira's household in New Haven. All of his sons, except for the youngest, Frank F., had grown to manhood. Willard was twenty-one, Sherrod was twenty, and Wickliffe was eighteen. Little Frank was only six. There was no need for Ira to pay for a hired man any longer, not when he had three strong, healthy boys at home to help bear the weight of operating a thriving agricultural business now valued at $5,000. Ira's personal property had increased right along with the value of his real estate. He had an additional $1,500 in estate value. Nelson Brown, Ira's brother, lived right next door to Ira and he had developed an equally impressive operation. His farm was assessed at $5,400 with another $1,000 added for personal property. The two brothers were building quite a dynasty in New Haven on the eve of the Civil War.[6] Betsey was still attached to her brother's household, but, overall, Ira's family was declining in size. Winfield had died in 1859 of "putrid sore throat" or diphtheria.[7] Now that there was only Frank to care for, there was no need of three adult women in the house, so there was no "nanny" or house servant. And when the Civil War broke out in April of 1861, it was only a matter of time before it drew at least some of Ira's sons into it. Willard, because of his strong anti-violence leanings, was not so inclined to want to put on a uniform and charge off to war. Sherrod, on the other hand, had not such qualms about violence. In 1862, he opted to join an elite group of infantrymen whose sole job was to seek out and destroy selected enemy targets from a great distance if possible. Of all combatants, the sharpshooters brought war to the most personal level for it was killing on a deliberate, premeditated and personal basis. Sherrod's entry into the war was somewhat delayed, most likely through the influence of his father more than anything. He did not enlist until September 8, 1862 in Rutland, Vermont. He joined Berdan's First United States Sharpshooters, Company F, which was all Vermonters originally formed the year before, in September of 1861.[8]

Hiram C. Berdan was the founder of the Sharpshooters, a special infantry regiment of superior marksmen whose sole mission was to kill important enemy targets such as officers and NCOs. He was born in Phelps, New York on September 6, 1824. He was a talented mechanical engineer and a creative inventor as well as a military officer. His special interest in rifles and sharpshooting led him to the idea of creating a regiment full of men who all possessed exceptional shooting skills. He began recruiting men for the First U.S. Sharpshooters in 1861. He took men from New York City, Albany, New Hampshire, Vermont, Michigan and Wisconsin. To qualify to be a member of the Sharpshooters, each man had to pass a rifle test. He had to place ten consecutive shots inside a ten inch diameter circle at the distance of two hundred yards (two football fields). The most notable and obvious aspect of Berdan's Sharpshooters was their non-standard uniform. It was green rather than blue. Along with the color, there were no brass buttons allowed that might reflect sunlight and give away the location of a sharpshooter in hiding. As the war went on, the men were not reissued this color uniform, so, by Gettysburg, most of the men wore the more common blue uniform.

Company F was formed in Vermont in September of 1861. It was completely made up of Vermonters. The men were mustered-in the service at Washington, D.C. One hundred thirteen enlisted men left Vermont but thirteen were rejected to reduce their numbers to none hundred which the regulations required. In November, William Y.W. Ripley was given command of Company F. He remained in command of it until his wounding in action disabled him. The Company remained in a camp of instruction near Washington until March 22, 1862 when it embarked for the Peninsula. The Company served in every battle of that campaign, except for Fair Oaks. It was engaged at Yorktown, Hanover Court House, Mechanicsville, Gaines' Mill and Malvern Hill. At the close of the Seven Days' Battle, the unit marched to the Second Bull Run affair. At Antietam, it got to watch the action but was not engaged in it. About this time, Private Brown joined the Regiment. He saw combat in all of the actions Company F was involved in. At Blackford's Ford, it performed well, helping to capture two guns and taking a few prisoners. At Chancellorsville, the Company was used at different points along the Union line every day. In the second day's battle at Gettysburg, Company F, along with three other companies of the Regiment, helped check Longstreet's advance on the Union left. Throughout the second and third days at Gettysburg, the Sharpshooters utilized their special skills to cause as much damage as they could. As part of the Mine Run Campaign, the Regiment was called upon again to employ their expertise in the deadly game of warfare. It was at Locust Grove, or Robertson's Tavern, on November 27, 1863, that Private Brown received his debilitating wound which sent him to the hospital for six months. After the Mine Run Campaign, the decimated First U.S. Sharpshooters were consolidated with the Second Brigade, Third Division, Second Corps. As such, it took part in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor and the various actions around Petersburg.

The small remnant of the company left after these bloody engagements were transferred to Company E of the Second U.S. Sharpshooters. The Company was present at no less than thirty-seven battles and major skirmishes. During its term of service, Company F's original one hundred thirteen enlisted men and three officers had seventy-four recruits added to their numbers for a total of one hundred ninety men. Of those, forty-five (24%) died. Other losses (discharged, deserted, transferred) amounted to ninety-five. Only forty-eight enlisted men and two officers were mustered-out on December 23, 1864.[9]

Sherrod was one of those recruits who arrived late in the ranks of Company F of the First U.S. Sharpshooters. He did see action at Snicker's Gap, Fredericksburg, Richord's Ford, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Upperville, Wapping Heights, Culpepper Court House, Auburn Creek Ford, Brandy Station and Locust Grove. It was at the latter engagement where he received a wound that sent him to the Base Hospital where he recuperated and partially recovered from his injuries. He was transferred to the Invalid Corps (Veterans Reserve Corp) on May 5, 1864.[10] He was then detailed to serve out his term of service at Fort Schuyler as a Quarter Master's clerk. He received his discharge on September 30, 1865 at the end of his enlistment.[11]

When Private Brown became Mr. Brown again, he headed straight back to New Haven, Vermont and the family and farm on Beech Hill. It was necessary he return immediately for his father was getting older and had to run the farm by himself. Willard, Sherrod's oldest brother, had left the homestead to pursue a career in the clergy. Wickliffe, Sherrod's younger brother, had left for war in 1863 and had become one of the hundreds of thousands of casualties of the war who never saw home or loved ones again. Winfield, the only other brother in the family besides twelve year old Frank, had died of diphtheria in 1859. So Ira was in need of his surviving son to assist with the work on the farm. But Sherrod's return home was not all work and no play. Somehow he found time to court a young women. His love interest was Miss Stella E. Bramen, daughter of Jason and Laura (Hubbell) Bramen. Stella was born in Westport, New York on August 31, 1844. She and Sherrod were married on September 4, 1868.[12] In 1870, he and Stella lived on the farm in New Haven in the big brick house on Beech Hill that his grandfather, Solomon, had built. Sherrod and his new bride shared the large house with Ira and Elitha, Sherrod's father and mother. The farm was now valued at an inspiring $8,000 by the appraiser.[13] Sometime in 1872, Sherrod got the idea to move to Sioux City, Iowa to live and work, leaving the farm in Vermont in the hands of his sixty-four year old father and nineteen year old brother, Frank. Out in Iowa, Sherrod worked in a flouring mill and a packing house. He returned to Vermont in 1875 and remained until 1876 when he moved again this time to his wife's hometown of Westport, New York. During his stay there (twenty-seven years) he was employed in the meat market business (a butcher). Sherrod returned to Vermont and the New Haven farm about 1903. By that time, Sherrod's son, Wickliffe, was operating the family farm.[14] Wickliffe S., of course, was named after Sherrod's lost brother who died in the war of rebellion. He was born to Sherrod and Stella in 1872. A second son had been born in 1879 named Frank W. who had been named for Sherrod's brother, Frank F., who had died in 1875.[15]

According to the 1890 Special Schedule for surviving military personnel and their families done at the same time as the lost 1890 Federal Census, Sherrod was back in New Haven then. The only mention of any disability Sherrod suffered from came in the form of a remark - "…wounded once".[16] By the 1900 Federal Census account, Sherrod and Stella lived with their son, Wickliffe S. Brown and his wife, Grace E. Brown. Wickliffe was listed as head of household. The couple had presented Sherrod and Stella with two grandchildren by 1900: Gertrude L. aged four and Harold H. aged two. The New Haven family homestead still supported the extended families.[17] In 1905, Sherrod lost Stella, his wife of thirty-seven years.[18] She died and was buried in New Haven's Evergreen Cemetery.

Within three years, sixty-two year old Sherrod found a replacement for Stella. She was Ella M. Greene, a forty-four year old widow from Schenectady, New York. It seemed that Sherrod had a preference for New York state females since both his wives were from across the pond. Ella was working as a general manager at a local hospital in Schenectady when they married on June 10, 1908. She was the daughter of James McNiff and Ellen Pendergast, both form the Emerald Isle. She had been born in Keyesville, New York. Both the groom and the bride were widows, so this was the second marriage for the couple.[19] After the wedding, the newlyweds moved back to New Haven, Vermont where they took up residence. Sherrod was retired and living off of pension money he was getting from the Government plus whatever investments he had made during his working life.[20] He had been receiving a pension for some time, as far back as 1870 when he first applied for one as an invalid. He had been wounded in the war and spent months trying to recover in a general hospital in Virginia. His condition never improved sufficiently for him to be sent back to the ranks of Company F in Berdan's Sharpshooters. In fact, in May of 1864, his injuries caused him to be transferred to the Veterans Reserve Corps where he completed his term of service in the military. Originally, Sherrod had applied on April 13, 1870. He reapplied, presumably for an increase in benefits, on October 12, 1910.[21] It was not clear what home Sherrod and his new wife occupied in New Haven. It may have been the old homestead on the hill or a new place altogether. In any event, he owned it free of any liens. Accompanying Sherrod and Ella back to New Haven was Ella's twenty-two year old daughter, Catherine M. Greene. She worked as a private nurse in a family home in New Haven.[22] Perhaps Ella found life in rural New Haven too dull after living in urban Schenectady. In 1918, Sherrod's address changed to 44 Bay View, Burlington, Vermont. Not only had Sherrod retired from farming, he had retired from living on one. Apparently watching the grass grow on Beech Hill was far too boring for the couple, so they moved to where there was more action. 44 Bay View is where Sherrod spent the last years of his life. He died at that address on December 9, 1924 from "Chronic endocarditis, cholecystitis, gastritis and hypostatic pneumonia".[23] The eighty-four year old veteran was taken back to New Haven and placed in Evergreen Cemetery among family and friends. As for Ella, widowed for the second time, all that can be said of her was that her last known address was 44 Bay View, Burlington, Vermont.


1., Memorial #40785042 for Jerrod Brown; Genealogical and Family History of the State of Vermont, by Hiram Carleton, Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago, 1903, ii: pp. 511-513. Hereinafter referred to as Carleton, Family History, pp. 511-513.
2. Carleton, Family History, pp. 511-513;, U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 for I. Brown.
3. New Haven in Vermont, 1761-1983, by Harold Farnsworth and Robert Rogers, Town of New Haven, 1984, p. 285. *Sealer of Leather - town officer who had authority to see that all sales of leather were made honestly as to quality and quantity. The sealer of leather was authorized to put his "seal' or stamp of approval on items he inspected ( Century of the History of Springfield: 1636-1736); **Tithingman - was a parish officer elected to preserve good order in the church during divine service ( Century of the History of Springfield: 1636-1736); ***Hayward - a herdsman in charge of cattle and other animals grazing on common land (
4. Carleton, Family History, pp. 511-513;, Brown Family Tree for Ira Brown.
5., 1850 U.S. Federal Census for Ira Brown.
6. Ibid., 1860 U.S. Federal Census for Ira Brown.
7. Ibid., Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908, Death for Winfield Brown.
8., New York Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts for Brown, Sherrod, image 316233295.
9; United States Sharpshooters by William Y.W. Ripley, Ltc.
10. Carleton, Family History, pp. 511-513;, New York Civil War Muster Roll Abstracts for Brown, Sherrod.
11., 1890 Veterans Schedules for Sherrod Brown.
12. Carleton, Family History, pp. 511-513.
13., 1870 U.S. Federal Census for Ira Brown.
14. Carleton, Family History, pp. 511-513.
15., Brown Family Tree for Sherrod R. Brown.
16. Ibid., 1890 Veterans Schedules for Sherrod Brown.
17. Ibid., 1900 U.S. Federal Census for Sherrod Brown.
18. Ibid., Brown Family Tree for Sherrod R. Brown.
19. Ibid., New York, County Marriage Records, 1847-1849, 1907-1936 for Eliza D. Bogue.
20. Ibid., 1910 U.S. Federal Census for Sherrod Brown.
21., Pension Files for Sherrod Brown, images 55161514 and 24597444.
22., 1910 U.S. Federal Census for Sherrod Brown.
23. Ibid., Vermont, Vital Records, Death for Sherrod Brown.

Courtesy of Bernie Noble.