Vermont Flag Site Logo

Campbell, Edward Romanz


Age: 18, credited to Londonderry, VT
Unit(s): 11th VT INF
Service: enl 8/4/62, m/i 9/1/62, Pvt, Co. G, 11th VT INF, m/o 5/13/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: abt 1844, Londonderry, VT
Death: 03/12/1936

Burial: Battleground National Cemetery, Washington, DC
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Tom Ledoux
Findagrave Memorial #: 18252350


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, Application date
Portrait?: White Collection
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

Webmaster's Note: The 11th Vermont Infantry was also known as the 1st Vermont Heavy Artillery; the names were used interchangably for most of its career


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Battleground National Cemetery, DC

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


(Courtesy of Brian White)


Maj. Campbell, 92,
Of Takoma, Dead

Union Veteran Succumbs to
Pneumonia -- Fought at
Fort Stevens.

Special Dispatch to The Star.

Takoma Park, Md., March 11. -- Maj. Edward R. Campbell, 92, who participated in the Battle of Fort Stevens, at Brightwood, in 1864, in the defense of the Nation's Capital, died last night at Mount Alto Hospital, Washington. For many years he has resided here with relatives at 30 Elm avenue. Death was due to pneumonia.

Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at V. L. Speare Co., undertakers, 1009 H street, Washington. Burial will be in Battle Ground National Cemetery, where a number of Union soldiers were buried where they fell in defense of the Capital.

Maj. Campbell was a member of the Union forces which were rushed here from City Point, Va., to defend the Capital from Confederate forces under Gen. Jubal A. Early. He saw President Lincoln expose himself to fire at old Fort Stevens and saw Gen. H. G. Wright, commander of the fort, order the President to a safer position.

Maj. Campbell was believed to be the last survivor of the 6th Army Corps of the Union Army. He was born in Londonerry, Winfham (sic) County, Vt., January, 29, 1844. He enlisted July 5, 1862, in Company G, 1st Vermont Volunteer Heavy Artillery, and participated in 13 battles, including that of Fort Stevens. During one of the engagements he was slightly wounded. He was employed in the Bureau of Pensions from 1882 to 1915, when he resigned.

He was a member of Burnside Post, G.A.R., and national commander in chief in 1901-2. He was also past commander of the Department of Maryland, member of William B. Cushing Camp, No. 30, Sons of Union Veterans, of which he was also a past commander; member of Maj. E. R. Campbell Camp, Sons of Veterans, U.S.A; member St. Paul Lodge ,No. 25, Brandon, Va., F.A.A.M., and was a thirty-third degree Mason.

At one time he held a commission as first lieutenant signed by the Governor of Vermont; a commission as captain of the National Guard of the District of Columbia, signed by President Cleveland, and one as a major, signed by President Harrison. He served for nine years in the old Fourth Battalion, District of Columbia National Guard. For a number of years past he has been residing with his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Goodrich, here.

Surviving, in addition to Mr. and Mrs. Goodrich, are a granddaughter, Mrs. Marion G. Nevitt, and two great-grandsons, Robert G. and John G. Nevitt, who reside here.
Evening Star (Washington, D.C.), March 11, 1936. Campbell Rites Today

Funeral services for Maj. Edward R. Campbell, 92, who was believed to be the last survivor of Union Army forces which defended Washington at Fort Stevens in 1864, were to be held at 2 p.m. today in the V. . Speare Co. funeral parlors, 1009 H street. Burial was to be in the Battle Ground National Cemetery here, where a number of Union Army soldiers were buried where they fell in defense of the Capital.

Maj. Campbell, who lived with members of his family at 30 Elm avenue, Takoma Park, Md., died Tuesday night of pneumonia in Mount Alto Hospital. He was a member of the Union forces which were rushed here from City Point, Va., to defend the city when Confederate forces, under Gen. Jubal A. Early, threatened.
Evening Star (Washington, D.C.), March 12, 1936

Previous Page