Vermont Flag Site Logo

Colt, George M.


Age: 32, credited to Brattleboro, VT
Unit(s): 2nd VT INF
Service: enl 5/1/61, m/i 6/20/61, Pvt, Co. C, 2nd VT INF, wdd, Funkstown, 7/10/63 (severely), pr CPL, wdd, Wilderness, 5/5/64, m/o 6/29/647

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 1830, Smynra, NY
Death: 07/28/1895

Burial: Prospect Hill Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Tom Ledoux
Findagrave Memorial #: 13927926


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Prospect Hill Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


While searching for something else, I came across the following from the Green Mountain Freeman, February 27, 1884

A Suicide At Brattleboro.-George M. Colt of Brattleboro, about fifty years old, shot himself twice, probably fatally, just below the heart while alone at his home Friday. He was suffering from melancholy and had been in poor health for some time, never having recovered from disease contracted and wounds received while a soldier in the late war. During one battle he was nearly shot to pieces, receiving a dozen wounds. He had quite an experience with rebel prisons and while at Andersonville managed to whittle out with a jackknife a very passable violin of full size and quite sweet tone. This instrument whiled away many an hour for the prisoners, and Mr. Colt was allowed to bring it north with him when he was exchanged.

Then I got curious, because our records indicated he died in 1895, eleven years later.

Source: Vermont Phoenix, August 2, 1895

George M. Colt.

George M. Colt, an old Union veteran died at his home in West Dummerston Sunday, July 28. Mr. Colt has been seriously ill since the first of February, 1894, with little hope of permanent recovery. During his entire sickness he has suffered intensely, but through all has borne up under it with a remarkable endurance. Death fairly stood over him for many weeks. No one who knew him but feels that he greatly prolonged his stay in the flesh by force of will. He would not succumb. He fought the great battle of life inch by inch, and yet he was always cheerful.

Mr. Colt was born in Smyrna, N.Y., November 1, 1828 where he lived during his boyhood, moving to Stockton, Ill., in 1853. While there in 1855 he joined the Odd Fellows. He married Miss Mary M. Ladd of Brattleboro April 22, 1858. In the fall of 1858 they moved to Brattleboro where they lived, with the exception of the year 1868, when they returned to Stockton, Ill., until 1886, when they moved to West Dummerston. They have had five children.

His wife and two sons survive him, Charles H. of Brattleboro and William M. of Keene, N.H. Mr Colt was employed by E. Crosby & Co. a number of years. He was police and night watchman in this village for four years and was employed much of his time as nurse caring for the sick.

When the war broke out he was among the early ones to enlist, May 1, 1861, in Company C, Second Regiment Vermont Volunteers, which whom he served till June 29, 1864, when he was mustered out. His ardor and ambition to be in the front won for him much praise as well as exposed him to great danger. He was wounded at Salem Heights, Va., May 4 1863; Funkstown, Md., July 10, 1863; severely wounded in the Wilderness, Va., May 5, 1864, in the right arm, which always caused him much pain and trouble. He bore all of his afflictions with cheerfulness and courage.

He will be remembered by his comrades in the old Second Vermont as the maker of the fiddle in camp at Brandy Station, Va., during the winter of 1863 and 1864, a relic of those days of camp life which he has always kept with a pride so justly earned by his indomitable perseverance.

He never tired of conversing about the war, and during his last sickness he enjoyed the company of his old comrades. He was an ardent Grand Army man , being a charter member of Sedgwick post, No. 8. He was a member of Wantastiquet lodge, I.O.O.F., and Palestine encampment. Truly it can be said that he was loyal to his country and comrades. He loved the flag for which he fought. He was sympathetic, devoted in friendship, generous to a fault, charitable to those in sickness and trouble.

He formed his own opinion of right and wrong. He was honest in all his dealings. He hated false pride and scorned the idea of surrendering his manhood to please any one. After his mind was once formed and his purposes matured he carried them through triumphantly in the face of the most formidable opposition. He was original from first to last, therefore he never received the honor so justly his due.


Previous Page