Vermont Flag Site Logo

Individual Record

Dow, Samuel H.

Age: 19, credited to Greensboro, VT
Unit(s): 4th VT INF
Service: enl 8/29/61, m/i 9/21/61, Pvt, Co. D, 4th VT INF, wdd, Funkstown, 7/10/63, wdd, Wilderness, 5/5/64, m/o 7/13/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

Birth: 1842, Barnet, VT
Death: 06/05/1913

Burial: Lincoln Cemetery, Greensboro, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Deanna French

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Unknown
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

Copyright notice


Lincoln Cemetery, Greensboro, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.

Samuel H. Dow

"Samuel H. Dow, son of S. Dow, was born in Greensboro. He enlisted at the age of nineteen, at Greensboro, Aug. 29th, 1861, as an original member of Co. D, 4th Regiment, and was mustered into the service at Brattleboro, Sept. 20th, 1861.

"He remained with the company at Camp Griffin, Va., until taken sick with dysentery, March 1st, 1862, when he was sent to Cliffburn general hospital, March 10th, 1862. He remained there sick two months, and as nurse two months. He was then sent to Fort Ellsworth, near Alexandria, but his health remaining poor, he was sent to Fairfax Seminary Hospital.

"In a few weeks he again went to Fort Ellsworth, rejoining his company when it arrived from the Peninsula. He proceeded with it to the second Bull Run battle, and back; then went to Fort Ellsworth again, when the company started on the Maryland campaign, and remained there until about Feb. 15th, 1863, when he rejoined his company at Belle Plain, Va., and was with it during the battles of St. Marie's [sic] Heights, second Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Funkstown, Rappahannock Station and Mine Run.

"He reenlisted, Feb. 10th, 1864, and went home on a thirty-five days' frurlough, rejoining his company at Brandy Station, March 17th. He was wounded by a minnie ball in the thumb, at the battle f the Wilderness, May 5th, and was sent to Fredericksburg, thence to Washington, and thence to Brattleboro, from which place, wanting to see his friends and not being able to procure a furlough, he went without one; returning in four days, he was detailed as orderly for Surgeon Phelps. From Brattleboro he was sent to Cliffburn Hospital, Washington D. C., and rejoined his company July 11th, at Washington, and continued with it during the battles of Charles Town, Winchester and Fisher's Hill.

"He was detailed as officer's cook soon after the latter engagement, and remained detailed at Petersburg until shortly before the capture of Petersburg, when he was sent to his company, and was with it until mustered out at Ball's Cross Roads, Va., July 13th, 1865.

Source: E. E. Rollins, preparer, The Memorial Record of the Soldiers who enlisted from Greensboro, Vermont, to aid in subduing The Great Rebellion of 1861-5, Accompanied by a brief history of each regiment that left the state., (Freeman Printing House, Montpelier, 1868), pp. 20-21.



Body of Samuel Dow Brought Here For Burial

The remains of Samuel Dow, a former resident of Greensboro, were brought here for burial Wednesday and services were held in the Congregational church Thursday afternoon and the interment was in the village cemetery. Mr. Dow was a veteran of the Civil war, enlisting in 1861 in Company D, 4th Vt. Regiment and serving until July 1865. He was 71 years of age at the time of his death. He leaves a wife and four brothers, two of whom live in this town.

St. Johnsbury Caledonian-Record, June 11, 1913

Contributed by Tom Boudreau.