Vermont Flag Site Logo

Individual Record

Cull, Richard T.

Age: 42, credited to Belvidere, VT
Unit(s): 7th VT INF
Service: comn 2LT, Co. E, 7th VT INF, 1/9/62 (2/4/62), d/dis 7/28/62

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

Birth: abt 1821, Hadley, PQ, Canada
Death: 07/28/1862

Burial: Baton Rouge National Cemetery, Baton Rouge, LA
Marker/Plot: See Remarks
Gravestone researcher/photographer:

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, widow Frances
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Listed in Roll of Honor, but not recorded in National Gravesite Locator. Father of Henry, 7th VT INF.

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

Copyright notice
Baton Rouge National Cemetery, LA
Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.

Richard T. Cull


Lieut Richard Thomas Cull, died on board ship, Morning Light, in Baton Rouge, July 27th, 1862, aged 51 years..

He was born in Hadley, C.E.. From early life, his career has been an eventful one, but he met life's vicissitudes with a brave and manly heart, and won himself a noble character.

He was tender hearted, benevolent, confiding, and was greatly attached to his family; but in respect to his country's call he tore himself away from the endearments at home, to meet the stern realities of war.

Mr. Cull was appointed second Lieut. of Company E, 7th Vermont regiment, and stationed at Ships Island, New Orleans, and near Vicksburg.

At the latter place he was attacked with the prevailing disease, the dysentery, and when partially recovered, the climate fever set in, and soon after the return of the regiment to Baton Rouge, he died.

During his sickness he was attended by his affectionate son of only 16 years, that entered the army with him.

Some of the letters written before his sickness, attest a prayerful spirit, and through the violence of the disease admitted of no testimony in death, we hope he sleeps in Jesus.

He left his home in Belvidere, a devoted wife, and four children, who deeply mourn his loss.

The funeral services were attended at the Union Church in this place, on the 7th ult., by a crowded assembly.

May God bless and sustain the mourning friends.

Courtesy of Deanna French.