Site Logo
Soldiers - Units - Battles - Cemeteries - Towns

Field, Reuben A.


Age: 30, credited to Rutland, VT
Unit(s): 12th VT INF
Service: enl 8/23/62, m/i 10/4/62, Pvt, Co. K, 12th VT INF, m/o 7/14/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 1832, Weathersfield, VT
Death: 09/16/1868

Burial: Evergreen Cemetery, Rutland, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Jennifer Snoots
Findagrave Memorial #: 58801130


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Not found
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: See Benedict's Army Life in Virginia


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Evergreen Cemetery, Rutland, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Reuben A. Field

Rutland Daily Herald, Sept. 17, 1868

Supposed Suicide. - The people of our village were somewhat startled, last evening, by the report that Mr. R.A. [Reuben A.] Field had committed suicide by throwing himself into Otter Creek, near the place familiarly known as the sand bank. We give the rumors that are about and await further developments. From what we learn, Mr. Field, for some reason, has been troubled with fits of despondency, commonly called "the blues", and yesterday he left a note, addressed to his wife, in which he stated that if she wanted his body it would be found in Otter Creek. About one o'clock p.m. He was seen on his way toward Otter Creek. About 1 o'clock, his hat, marked with his name, was found by Patrick Connaughton on the bank of the creek, who immediately gave the alarm. His tacks down to the edge of the water were plainly discernible. A number of our citizens have been dragging the river, during the afternoon and evening, but, up to the time we write, with no success.

Rutland Daily Herald, Sept. 18, 1868

SUICIDE. The body of R. A. [Reuben A.] Field, of whom we spoke yesterday, was found in Otter Creek in the afternoon at a little before 5 o'clock, some six or seven rods north of where it was supposed he plunged in. Many doubts were expressed about his having made away with himself, and others thought it more probable that he had left his hat, as he did, as a sort of blind, and gone to parts unknown. The stream was most effectually dragged on Wednesday evening, until near 11 o'clock, with no success. Thursday morning search was again commenced, but without success, until, by the exertion of a large number of citizens, a couple of large trees which had blown over and became embedded in the sand and debris, were removed. After the removal of these trees, the dragging hooks were used near the spot, and upon the first throwing of the grapples they fastened themselves into the clothes of the unfortunate man. After being drawn to the shore, and laid upon the bank, the Selectmen were advised of the finding of the body, in order that an inquest might be held if necessary. But the case being so clear a one of suicide, no inquest was held. His body was taken to the store of Col. Levi G. Kingsley, where it was properly prepared and placed in a coffin, after which it was taken to the residence of Mr. Charles W. Potter, on Spring street.
There seems to be no doubt but that the unfortunate man committed the act, while laboring under an aberration of mind, symptoms of which have been noticed in him during the past few weeks.
His wife feels his death with uncommon severity, and, at the present time, seems almost inconsolable at her sudden and unexpected loss.
Much comment is made that no member of our village authorities was on the ground, either to aid in the search for the missing man, or to give directions as to the finding of the body.
The funeral services will be held today at 3 o'clock p.m.

Courtesy of Jennifer Snoots.