Vermont Flag Site Logo

Fisher, George W.


Age: 22, credited to Plainfield, VT
Unit(s): 2nd VT LARTY
Service: enl 8/26/64, m/i 8/26/64, PVT, 2nd VT LARTY BTRY, dis/dsb 2/13/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 1842, Lyndon, VT
Death: 05/18/1869

Burial: Lyndon Center Cemetery, Lyndon, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Carolyn Adams
Findagrave Memorial #: 35262392


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 3/21/1865, not approved; father George, 6/19/1890, VT, not approved
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Lyndon Center Cemetery, Lyndon, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


SUICIDE --- George W. Fisher of Red Village, a young man about 25 years old, hung himself in his chamber at 6 o'clock last Tuesday evening. It seems that on Friday last a keg of liquor had been carried into the place by one of the neighbors, which was divided among the owners, one of whom was George, and some of those conversant with Red Village affairs claim that rum was the occasion of suicide. Others claim that a girl was in the scrape, and that Fisher having determined not to marry Emeline Danforth, one of Gero's strumpets, made way with himself in order to avoid that disgrace. Chapman Bonnett story is as follows.

One day last week this girl, who is now in Newark, wrote Fisher to go and see her, which he did, and when he returned told Bonett, and others, that he should never marry that girl. Soon after his return he was speaking of death to his mother, and remarked to her that when he died he wanted to be laid out in his best clothes. At 5 1/2 o'clock, on Tuesday night he had conversation with Bonett in his father's kitchen (Bonett said he was perfectly sober) of which death was the subject. George seemed quite serious and remarked that there was nothing in the world worth living for, and that he believed the dead were better off than the living. Just after this went upstairs to an unfurnished chamber, nailed a board across the rafters six inches above his head, took a leading rein, made a slip noose, which he put onto his neck, tied the other end over the board and sank down toward the floor. A half an hour afterwards he was found dead, with his knees nearly touching the floor.

We do not know that this suicide is the direct result of the rum, though rum very often does such work, and it frequently flows freely in that part of town> It is natural that many suspect that it had something to do with the case. It is an unfortunate affair, while we regret young Fisher's death, we hope it may have some good moral effect upon his living associates. - LYNDON UNION.

Orleans Independent Standard, May 25, 1869
Courtesy of Deanna French

Previous Page