Vermont Flag Site Logo

Guernsey, George H.


Age: 22, credited to Calais, VT
Unit(s): 11th VT INF
Service: enl 8/11/62, m/i 9/1/62, PVT, Co. I, 11th VT INF, pr CPL 12/26/63, pr SGT 2/11/65, m/o 6/30/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: abt 1840, Calais, VT
Death: After 1890

Burial: Green Mount Cemetery, Montpelier, VT
Marker/Plot: Lot 902 1/2
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Kathy Valloch
Findagrave Memorial #: 77120618


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

Webmaster's Note: The 11th Vermont Infantry was also known as the 1st Vermont Heavy Artillery; the names were used interchangably for most of its career


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Green Mount Cemetery, Montpelier, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Ex Mayor George H. Guernsey passed away quietly and peacefully at his home, No 68 East State street, Wednesday at a little before four o'clock. His death, although expected, came very suddenly, and was a severe blow to all in the community. The cause of his death is given as catarrh, consumption and peritonitis.

Yesterday morning Mr. Guernsey was up and about the house the same as usual, and did not complain of any trouble until after dinner, when he was taken suddenly with pains in his stomach. He went to bed, but was unable to remain there long because of the severe suffering he was passing through. Several times during the afternoon he got out of bed and sat in his chair in order to get relief. The doctor gave him a treatment towards evening which afforded him some relief. His end came peacefully and he was conscious until the last.

Mr. Guernsey has been in poor health for a number of years, but did not give up active work until about two years ago when he found it almost impossible to do much of anything which required an excessive amount of labor. It was at that time, accompanied by his wife, that he went south to see if he could not obtain some relief or benefit from the climate there.

He was in the south two months, and while there stopped in Augusta, Ga. and Southern Pines, N. C. and when he came back was feeling somewhat better.

Last spring, while visiting in Springfield, Mass., he was taken ill with rheumatism and was confined to the hospital ten weeks. He came back to Montpelier in the middle of May, and remained here until his death.

He was the son of Gilman and Clobina Southwick Guernsey of Calais, and was born December 10, 1839, when he came to Montpelier and has made this city his home ever since.

He enlisted in Co. I., Eleventh Vermont regiment when he was but 22 years of age and served with the army in the war of the rebellion three years, during which time he was promoted a number of times for bravery while on duty.

After the war, or rather in 1867, he was wedded to Alpa Adelia, daughter of Daniel and Betsey Hill of Marshfield, and they made their home here, the marriage ceremony taking place in North Montpelier.

As a bridge builder his services were continually required and his reputation along this line was one that any man might be proud of. In Montpelier alone there are three bridges, the work of Mr. Guernsey. They are the "three mile" bridge, one at the Pioneer, and the Wells River bridge. He also built the well known Quechee Bridge.

In the work of building churches he had associated with him as a partner Napoleon Dubuc, now living in Nashua. This partnership existed for a number of years. Among the churches that were built by Guernsey and Dubuc was that at Nashua, N. H. and also another at Manchester, the one at Manchester being the last one that Mr. Guernsey assisted in building.

In public life Mr. Guernsey was always a man who took great interest in all affairs pertaining to his city and State. Always a well read man he could discuss any subject quite readily. In 1897 he was elected as mayor of the city of Montpelier and at the time was commonly know as George the III. He filled the position of mayor to the entire satisfaction to all and was instrumental in carrying out many prominent undertakings for the advantage of the city.

In private and social life he was a kind and loving husband, a man looked up to by all in the community and respected by both young and old. He ever had a kind word and many a time would go out of his way to assist a fellowman.

In matters pertaining to religion he made the Baptist house his home and was always a liberal giver.

Besides a widow, he is survived by one daughter, Mrs. George Goss of this city, a brother Oscar living in Calais, and one sister, Mrs. Mahala Wallace of Waterloo, Canada.

Mr. Guernsey enlisted in Company I, 11th Vermont regiment, August 11, 1862, as a private. December 26, 1863 he was promoted to the rank of corporal and again, February 11, 1865, he was made a sergeant. He was mustered out June 30, 1865.

From the Argus & Patriot, Montpelier, VT, December 5, 1900.

Contributed by Cathy Hoyt

See an Off-site review of the recently published Guernsey biography by the Bethel Historical Society.

Previous Page