Vermont Flag Site Logo

Hall, Eleazer A.


Age: 22, credited to Plymouth, VT
Unit(s): 2nd VT INF
Service: enl 5/7/61, m/i 6/20/61, Pvt, Co. I, 2nd VT INF, wdd, Marye's Heights, 5/3/63, dis/wds, 5/27/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 02/03/1839, Plymouth, VT
Death: 02/02/1935

Burial: Plymouth Notch Cemetery, Plymouth, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Joie Finley Morris +
Findagrave Memorial #: 106021537


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 6/1/1863
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Plymouth Notch Cemetery, Plymouth, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Eleazer Hall, Civil War Veteran And His Limekilns in Plymouth

By Sevilla R. Trudo.

Lime from those old ledges in Plymouth furnished the strongest and whitest plaster that was ever made," said Eleazer Addison Hall, 94-year-old veteran of the Civil war and also of the old kiln burning lime manufacturers of Plymouth.

"The plaster on my old house at Plymouth Union looks good for several more generations."

This picturesque old house to which he refers is standing beside the road that, winding up the narrow valley, forms a connecting link between the Coolidge Memorial highway at Plymouth Union and U. S. route 4 at West Bridgewater.

The house was built by Mr. Hall before he went to the war. The lumber for it was cut on the farm and the plaster was made with lime from his own kilns.

The old-style kitchen dances were ever popular with his family and they were held frequently in a room over the dining room of the old house from year to year but the plaster still remains firm and un-broken.

"Just a matter of the superior quality of the line that was used in mixing the plaster," is the opinion of this old veteran.

Civil War Record.

At the call of President Lincoln for troops Eleazer Addison Hall enlisted on May 7th, 1861, for three years, in Company I, 2nd regiment Vermont volunteers, the first three year regiment raised in the state. He was mustered in June 20th with other Windsor and Rutland county boys and left Burlington the 24th for Washington.

Later they were joined by the 3rd-4th and 5th Maine regiments, under command of Colonel O. O. Howard, who was later promoted to major general.

The regiment was soon in active service and was engaged in the battle of Bull RUn July 21, '61. Later it was detached from Howard's brigade and ordered to Virginia where they built Fort Marcy and Ethan Allen. In September of that year the 4th and 5th Vermont regiments arrived at the for and united with the 2nd to form the famous "Old Vermont Brigade."

Soon after General SMith was given command of the division of which the Vermont brigade was a part; it being the 2nd division.

Later General W. T. H. Brooks took command and from then until the close of the war the 2nd regiment was identified with the brigade in all the battles in which the latter took part.

In the famous battle at Marcy's Heights (sic), which has been commemorated in song and story, Sunday, May 3rd, 1863, Mr. Hall was seriously wounded barely escaping death.

Vermonters Mowed Down.

"The mowed the Vermonters down like grass," he said, in speaking of the battle. A slug struck him in th face, passed through is mouth tearing out 17 teeth and chattering his jaw.

About a month later, he was honorably discharged and came home. He returned to the farm and gradually resumed his business of lime burning.

He was married November 16th 1870 to Miss Miranda Sanderson of Bridgewater.

Nine children were born to them, seven of whom are living now. Mrs. Hall Hall died in 1911 and Eleazer continued to live at the old place until six years ago when he went to Ludlow to live with his daughter, Mrs. Balch.

One of his greatest pleasures in later years has been checker playing, at which he is hard to beat.

Lime Burning in Plymouth.

Plymouth lime was noted for its great strength and masons always called for it -- as long as it could be had. Eleazer Hall operated his ledges, one of white and one of gray lime rock. The gray was used for stone masonry and the base of foundation plastering; the white for the finish coat, whitewash, etc.

He had to make a haul of two miles to get the white rock to the kiln for burning.

Having a great liking for oxen Hall used them when ever he could do so profitably. There were used to haul the rock to the kilns and the wood for the fires. He usually employed four men to help about the work and two horse teams were kept busy on the roads taking the finished lime to market.

Before dynamite was coming blasting powder and fuse were used to break up the ledge. Then the rocks, loaded on a cart or stone boat, were drawn in by the ox teams.

Laying up and packing the lime-kiln was an art and Mr. Hall was the artist.

The kiln itself was made from ordinary stone, built like a large brick oven, with an arch underneath for the fires. Then the lime rock was carefully placed so the smoke could rise and a proper draft be maintained.

When the fire was built the lime-kiln had to be kept burning steadily, day and night for 48 hours. Then it was left to cool 24 hours before being opened.

Lime is now sold in tin cans but 50 years ago Mr Hall used to ship his lime in bulk and in barrels.

When sold in bulk the loose white rock from the kilns were thrown into wagon bodies and drawn to the freight depot by two or three horse teams.

He shipped lime to all the New England states and to New York; by train from Ludlow and Woodstock.

Prices paid were 50 cents a barrel for gray and 60 cents for white, finished lime.

It was an all-day's trip to either Ludlow, 11 miles, or Woodstock 16 miles, from Plymouth Union. So his horse teams were always busy, the usual order being 100 barrels or a kiln full of lime for a shipment. He burned lime every 10 days usually and was actively engaged in the business over 25 years.

Mr. Hall is one of the two surviving members of the O. O. Howard post, G. A. R., at Ludlow, the remaining comrade being George Petty, a mere boy of around 85 years. They are living near each other in Ludlow, but Mr. Hall's heart is still with his beloved hills and dales in Plymouth.

Newspaper clipping in a scrapbook dated 1933, probably the Rutland Daily Herald.

Courtesy of William J. Powers.


Ludlow: Eleazer Alonzo Hall, 95, the last surviving Civil War Veteran and member of O. O. Howard Post G.A.R. in Ludlow and vicinity, died Saturday afternoon after a two weeks' illness at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Bert Balch on Pond street. Mr. Hall would have celebrated his 96th birthday had he lived until Sunday, Feb. 3.

Mr. Hall was born in Plymouth, Feb 3, 1839, son of Nathan and Prudence Hubbard Hall, being one of four boys, Christopher, William, Stillman, and Eleazer. His two younger brothers died several years ago. Christopher died in 1929. Mr. Hall married Myranda Sanderson, Nov. 17, 1869. Nine children were born to them, one died in infancy and another when very young. The oldest son, Eugene, died a year ago.

In the early years of his life, Mr. Hall owned and operated the Plymouth Lime Works and also operated a lumber business. When the Civil War broke out he was one of the first young men in Plymouth to enlist, which was in 1861. He enlisted in Co. I, 2nd Vermont Volunteers and was in every important engagement, for two years. He fought in the first and second Battles of Bull Run. On May 3, 1863, at the Battle of Chancellorsville, he was shot through the head in such a manner that the bullet came out the corner of his mouth taking out 11 teeth and nearly severing his tongue. It was two days before he received medical attention and during that time had nothing to eat and it was thought he could not recover. A strong constitution proved to be in his favor.

He refused to take ether during medical treatment due to the bullet wounds. When he was discharged from the hospital he returned to his home in Plymouth, where he always made his home, except for the past eight years, he has lived with his daughter, Mrs. Bert Balch who had devotedly cared for him.

Mr. Hall was a great lover of music and of the old time dances. He attended them regularly up to within a few years ago. On his 94th birthday, he danced a jig in such a manner that made the younger dancers admire his ability.

Mr. Hall was an ardent checker player and was often seen in the Ludlow Checker club rooms. He had been in exceptionally good health until recently.

He leaves two daughters, Mrs. Bert Balch and Mrs. Floyd Hadley of Ludlow, and three sons, Verne, Julian, and Lindsey, also a cousin, Mrs. Prudence Albee of Springfield who is near Mr. Hall's age. Fourteen grandchildren survive, also five great -grandchildren.

The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at the Snow and Spaulding Undertaking parlors on Main Street. Rev. Norman Moss officiated. The Ballard Hobart Post American Legion had charge of the service at the grave at Plymouth. The Woman's Relief Corps attended the funeral in a body.

The Vermont Journal, February 7, 1935

Contributed by Cathy Hoyt.

Previous Page