Vermont Flag Site Logo

Individual Record

Dutton, Salmon

Age: 22, credited to Cavendish, VT
Unit(s): 1st VT INF, 7th VT INF
Service: comn 2LT, Co. E, 1st VT INF, 5/3/61 (5/3/61), m/o 8/15/61; comn CPT, Co. G, 7th VT INF, 1/31/62 (2/4/62), m/o 5/31/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

Birth: 1839, Cavendish, VT
Death: 09/29/1871

Burial: Cavendish Village Cemetery, Cavendish, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Joie Finley Morris +
Findagrave Memorial #: 85662268
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes
Portrait?: VHS off-site
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

Cousin of Darrin A. Dutton, Dupo, IL

Great Granduncle of Salmon Fletcher Dutton vii, Houston, TX

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

Copyright notice

Cavendish Village Cemetery, Cavendish, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.


Capt. Salmon Dutton, of Cavendish, died in New York on Friday last. He served in the 1st Vermont from the commencement of the late civil war until it was mustered out, and afterwards served as aid to Gen. "Baldy" Smith. In November, 1861, he returned to Vermont to recruit Co. G, in the 7th Volunteers, and served with that regiment until 1865, when he received the appointment of government detective. He had recently been stationed at Richford, as a Custom House deputy.

St. Albans Daily Messenger, October 4, 1871
Contributed by Bob Hackett.


Suicide of a Deputy Marshal.

Salmon Dutton, age 28, a boarder at No. 32 Greenwich ave., and for several months past a Deputy U.S. Marshal under Marshal Harlow, was found, last Friday, on the street near his boarding house, apparently grossly intoxicated and almost insensible. He was taken to the Charles St. Police Station and placed in a cell. Early on Saturday the doorman found him dead.

An inquest was held, and the post-mortem examination indicated that he had died from corrosive poison. It was shown by witnesses that, during the recent war, the deceased was an officer in a Vermont regiment; that his dependent position had preyed upon his mind; that for several days before his death he was almost constantly under the influence of liquor, and that on many occasions he had threatened to take his life. A verdict of suicide by poisoning was rendered.
New York Tribune, October 2, 1871
Contributed by Bob Hackett.

Courtesy of Linda M. Welch