Site Logo
Home Page | Cemeteries | Battles | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Hopkins, Lyman H.


Age: 24, credited to Cabot, VT
Unit(s): 6th VT INF
Service: 1st Co. Vt. Drafted Men; enl 7/11/63, m/i 7/11/63, PVT, Co. A, 6th VT INF, dis/dsb 1/24/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 03/23/1836, Cornish, NH
Death: 03/23/1877

Burial: Durant Cemetery, Cabot, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Monica White

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, widow Mary G., 8/16/1881
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Durant Cemetery, Cabot, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Suicide - Lyman H. Hopkins committed suicide while temporarily stopping at the house of O. B. Ramsey, last Friday, by cutting his throat with a common pocket knife. Mr. Hopkins formerly worked in this place, but some three years ago moved to the Stearn Mill in Sutton, and from thence to Boston. Finding times harder in the city than in the country, he came back with the intention of getting work here with his old employer. After visiting his friends in Cabot, he arrived here on Thursday, with his wife and only child, and went to Mr. Ramsey's to remain a few days, until he could find a tenement and work. His conduct seemed a little strange on Thursday night, and Friday forenoon he was sick and remained about the house. Soon after dinner he went to his room, and in a few minutes his little girl went in search of him, and came back reporting that her father was on the floor bleeding awfully. He was found lying on the floor in a large pool of blood, very nearly dead. Dr. r. B. Skinner was summoned at once, but he found Mr. Hopkins dead when he arrived. Justice Woodman and some of the town authorities repaired at once to the house, but an inquest was deemed unnecessary. No cause, unless it might have been despondency on account of being out of business, could be assigned for the commission of the deed. The remains were sent in charge of G. W. Jenness, to Cabot, where Mr. Hopkins' friends reside, on Saturday. Mr. Hopkins was an industrious and honest man. The blow is a terrible affliction to the wife, who has previously buried four children - two of them by accidental death.

Source: Orleans County Monitor, March 26, 1877.
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.