Vermont Flag Site Logo

Individual Record

Jaquith, Edwin Marshall

Age: 23, credited to Woodstock, VT
Unit(s): 12th VT INF
Service: enl 8/26/62, m/i 10/4/62, Pvt, Co. B, 12th VT INF, m/o 7/14/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

Birth: 01/31/1839, Hartland, VT
Death: 09/30/1887

Burial: Walker-Jaquith Cemetery, Woodstock, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Myrl Jaquith

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes
Portrait?: MHI off-site
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: See Benedict's Army Life in Virginia

Great Grandfather of Myrl Jaquith, Port St. Joe, FL

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

Copyright notice

Walker-Jaquith Cemetery, South Woodstock, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.

Edwin Marshall Jaquith was born 31 Jan. 1839 and mustered in at Brattleboro on 4 Oct 1862. He served in Company B, 12th Regiment, Vermont Infantry, attached to the 2nd Brigade. He was mustered out on 14 July 1863. He was a farmer and stonemason as were many of his ancestors. He died on 16 Sep 1879, age 40, of typhoid, probably contracted during his military service and left his wife with 8 children ages 1-17. He was originally buried in the Jenneville Cemetery in Hartland, and still has a gravestone there. However, his wife had his remains dug up and moved to the Walker-Jaquith cemetery in South Woodstock near the West Windsor town line. They are both buried there.

Grandfather Edwin was a dedicated diary-keeper. I don't know where the diaries were kept for many years, but they finally came into my brother's possession before he died in 2010. I went to his home in 2008 and photocopied seven of them. Two years ago, we visited his widow and she had obtained another ledger-style book with diaries for 1878 and 1879 and then partial diaries for 1884 and 1888 that were kept by his family members. He was pretty faithful about making an entry for each day. Many of them were routine but a few were interesting as when he logged the family's trip to Sonora, California in 1867 and when they returned to Vermont in 1868. No, they didn't go by covered wagon - that trip might have been a little too exciting. They took a steamship from New York City to the Isthmus of Panama, crossed the 48 miles and boarded another steamship that took them to San Francisco. The entire trip took about 2 months. The reverse trip followed the same route. He had a small farm, owned half interest in a timber ranch and hauled boards into Sonora to sell. He reported one tree that was 10 feet in diameter, the stump was higher than his head, and the part that was cut yielded 11,000 boards.

All in all, he was probably the best-documented member of our family. Diaries and photos do wonders to bring us closer to our ancestors. I noted with great interest that he was born on 31 Jan 1839 and I was born on 23 Jan 1939. Pretty close to the 100-year mark.





Camp Scene


Biography courtesy of Myrl Jaquith. Photographs courtesy of Myrl and Valmar Jaquith.