Vermont Flag Site Logo

Individual Record

Jones, Jared L.

Age: 28, credited to Rochester, VT
Unit(s): 4th VT INF
Service: enl 8/26/61, m/i 9/21/61, Pvt, Co. E, 4th VT INF, dis/dsb 11/24/62

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

Birth: abt 1833, Pittsfield, VT
Death: After 1890

Burial: Goshen Cemetery, Goshen, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Alan Lathrop
Findagrave Memorial #: 40601281
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Unknown
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

Copyright notice

Goshen Cemetery, Goshen, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.


Jared L. Jones was physically smaller than the average male of the mid-nineteenth century. But he had a badger-like quality that more than lived up to the Vermonters' well known determination and persistence. Coupled with his wife, Amelia, the two Jones' formed a fighting dynamic duo that was very impressive.

Jared L. Jones was born on July 26, 1833 in Pittsfield, Vermont. His full name was Jared Lorenzo Jones.[1] His father was Lorenzo Dow Jones and his mother was Mary Hall Jones. Lorenzo died in Rochester, Vermont in 1839 when Jared was only six years old.[2] Jared was apparently an only child of Lorenzo and Mary. Mary remarried to Joseph Perkins who had two boys from a previous marriage. So, in 1850, Joseph, Mary, Luther, Stilman and seventeen year old Jared all lived together in Rochester, Vermont.[3] For his entire life, Jared was a farmer or was living with one. He did not move around much, only living in two places most of his adult life - either Rochester or Goshen.[4]

Jared married twice. The first marriage took place on March 18, 1857 in Rochester. The bride was Arvilla H. Jones. Arvilla bore Jared two sons; Charles E. (1858) and Arvil A (1859). She died three days after giving birth to Arvil, on May 27, 18559.[5] Following his first wife's death, Jared and his two young sons moved in with his uncle, Stilman Jones, who also lived in Rochester, Vermont.[6] His second marriage did not occur until after his service in the Civil War. On October 14, 1866, he married the widow of Ferrin A. Cross in Goshen, Vermont. Cross, too, was a Civil War soldier who was killed June 3, 1864 at the Battle of Cold Harbor. The new bride was Antoinette Amelia Brown Cross and brought to the marriage four more children, all fathered by Ferrin: Alice Amelia, (1855); Elsie Adeliza, (1856); Caroline Lamira, (1859); and Edgar Freemont, (1861).[7] So, in 1866, the blended family consisted of two adults and six children. Between 1868 and 1875, five more children were added to the family: Heman D., (1868); Ora B., (1870; Henry, (1872); John, (1874); and Gertie, (1875).[8]

Whatever possessed Jared to enlist in the army during a time of war when he had two small children to care for is a secret only he could answer. But, on August 26, 1861 at Rochester that was exactly what he did. He signed for three years and became part of Company E, Fourth Regiment Vermont Infantry. He was a twenty-eight year old farmer and father who stood five feet five and one half inches tall. He had a light complexion with blue eyes and light colored hair.[9] His Regiment was mustered-in at Brattleboro, Vermont on September 21, 1861.[10] And off Jared went to war leaving Vermont and his two boys at home with relatives.

The Fourth was a part of the Old Vermont Brigade and saw serious action during its service. It was organized in September of 1861 and mustered-out in July of 1865. During its term of service, thirteen officers were lost and four hundred twenty-nine enlisted men became casualties. The Regiment saw action in many major engagements including: Lee's Mill; Savage's Station; White Oak Swamp; Crampton's gap; Antietam; Fredericksburg; Marye's Heights; Gettysburg; The Wilderness; Spotsylvania Court House; Cold Harbor; Petersburg; Winchester; Cedar Creek. And it was present at the surrender of General Lee at Appomatox.[11]

Jared missed everything the Regiment was a part of since he was sick and in one hospital or another practically from the time he enlisted. When he applied for an invalid disability pension later in life (1875), he detailed his time in the service quite well:

"….I further say that on or about the 25 day of November A.D. 1861, at Camp Conval (escence) near what was called chain Bridge v.a. became sick with chronic diarrhea disabled from doing duty unable to go with his Company when they marched to Camp Griffin remained at Camp Conval two or three days after the Regt marched to Camp Griffin - I then went to Camp Griffin and was sent to the Brigade Hospital - off from duty several weeks - in January I rejoined my company and continued to do duty with my company untill about the 4th day of May 1862 - when I had another attack of chronic diarrhea at Yorktown unable to do duty was sent to Carver Hospital Washington, D.C. entered said Hospital sometime in may - and on or about the 27th day of August 1862, I became sick again with chronic diarrhea and was sent to the Hospital at Annapolis Md - there a short time - and then was sent to the Douglas Hospital at Washington D.C. - remained there untill on or about the first day of November 1862 - from there was sent to Convalescent Camp near Fairfax Court House V.a. - remained there untill discharged -…."[12]

Jared was now almost thirty years old and suffered from a condition that he stated many times over later in life as severely disabling and that he got it while in the service. He went back to Goshen, presumably to his children and farm, and tried to resume his civilian life. By 1870, he and his new wife, Amelia, with their brood of eight children ranging in ages from fifteen years to two months, where on a small farm in Goshen being operated by Jared and his two sons, Charles and Arvil. All of the children not working or too young, were attending school.[13]

At the beginning of 1880, the Jones family had shrunk slightly. All the Cross children were gone from the household. Charles Jones was also absent. Arvil and Heman were still living with their parents. Three new Jones' had been added since 1870: Henry (8), John (6) and Gertie (5).[14] This was the last census for which Jared was alive. On April 5, 1899, Jared died of dropsy, a condition caused by fluid retention especially in the various cavities throughout the body and might lead to fatal conditions such as congestive heart failure.[15]

From what has been shared thus far about Jared and Amelia's lives, it would seem that they were pretty much an ordinary, typical couple trying to raise a family in a quiet, rural New England mountain village. But, remember the old saying about "still waters". Although Jared missed the big military escapades of his Regiment on the battle fields of the Civil War, he waged another type of war with his own Government after his discharge that showed the kind of metal he was made of. And Antoinette, who changed her name to Amelia after being married to Jared in 1866, did not age gracefully as an old widow living alone. Both of these individuals exhibited a persistence and tenacity that would make any native Vermonter proud.

When Ferrin was killed in the War of The Rebellion, Antoinette became eligible for a widow's pension which she applied for and was granted. She drew on it for only two years before she remarried and lost it. She had been receiving $8 per month plus $2 per month for each of the four children orphaned by Ferrin's death. The children were to receive these payments until they each reached sixteen years of age. The Government did not contest the payments of child support to Ferrin's children. Of course, neither did Amelia or Jared since they wanted the extra income to keep coming. From the Government's point of view, the dilemma seemed to be around who should receive the payments. Apparently the money couldn't go to the mother because it was not her pension. The children were minors, so they could not receive the money. Jared was no relation to the children at all, so he couldn't rightly be the recipient of the eight dollars a month. What was to be done? To whom was the money to be sent?

It was Jared who seemed to comprehend the problem most clearly and it was he who came up with a solution to it. He could not adopt them, because that would result in the pension money ceasing to flow in. But he could get himself appointed their guardian. And that was what he did. How he got around the fact that their biological mother was living in the same household as the children, so they weren't abandoned by her, I do not know. But he pulled it off. By December 11, 1866, when Jared filed a claim for an increase of pension for the minor Cross children, he had become their legal guardian.[16] This arrangement seemed to be satisfactory to all parties at the time and for the next ten years. That is when Ferrin's youngest child and only son, Edgar Freemont Cross became dissatisfied with living in the Jones' household and chose to remove himself from it at fifteen. Amelia's brother, Romeo M. Brown was appointed Edgar's legal guardian by the Probate Court of Addison on January 26, 1876.[17]

When Jared had been discharged from the service, he was given a certified disability severance for chronic diarrhea which had kept him from doing duty for the eight months previous to his November, 1862 release from the army. His original claim for disability pension was filed by his lawyers just a few months after November. The basis for his claim was chronic diarrhea.[18] Jared was awarded $2 per month which began retroactively to November 25, 1862 - one day after his discharge became official. He received that amount until July 17, 1877. At that date, the Government suspended Jared's pension payments because he could not provide evidence that his disability continued to the satisfaction of the medical board.[19] He must have had some warning that the Government was going to remove him from the pension rolls, for as early as December, 1875, he was writing declarations supporting his disability claim. In one letter, he chronicled all the times he had been forced into military hospitals while with his Regiment. In another, he outlined the many times he had gone to the local doctor in Rochester and Goshen to receive treatment for his chronic diarrhea. He usually summarized his condition as "…my condition as to being able to perform manual labor has been worse, not able to do but very little work…."[20]

Dr. Huntington from Rochester, who had submitted affidavits on behalf of Jared in 1875 and 1876, submitted another one May 3, 1877 that stated he saw Jared as his physician at Alexandria, Virginia during the War for "chronic diarrhea and feeble health" before his discharge and several times after for the same condition while they both lived in Rochester.[21] In addition to the doctor's support, Jared had to get other affidavits signed by friends, neighbors and other reputable citizens to support him. One was Franklin Sanderson of Brandon. Sanderson and Jared had ridden a train to Montpelier together in 1879. Sanderson vowed that Jared suffered greatly from chronic diarrhea the entire three days he was with him.[22]

Another person to support Jared's claim of disability was his hired man of three years, Thomas Rowe. He swore that even doing light physical work would sometimes put Jared in bed for days at a time and that of late (June, 1877) "…he is not able to perform manual labor near all the time; for the past year or two his difficulty has seemed to trouble him more severe. his attacks are more frequent and last him longer…."[23]

Charles W. Carr of Rutland had served in the same company of the Fourth VT before Jared's discharge. His affidavit cleared up any doubts as to the health of Private Jones when he first entered the service on September 21, 1861: "…and knew him to be a Sound healthy man to all appearances - no diseases had developed itself at that time…."[24] Despite all the evidence Jared had gathered in defense of his claim, the Government rejected it. On August 28, 1877, it was ruled that there was "…no reliable degree of disability from cause alleged (chronic diarrhea)…."[25]

Jared had missed the opportunity to show his courage and determination in combat with the Rebels. But he was now faced with the challenge of taking on his own Government in a different kind of warfare. His battle for benefits truly showed how much grit and gumption he possessed. Jared did not accept the Department of the Interior's decision as final.

His first task was to find physicians that would support his claim of disability and state that his poor health was service related and not caused by what was termed back in the 1800's as "vicious habits". To that end, Jared went to no fewer than four different doctors in three separate counties (Rutland, Addison and Chittenden) to be examined between June, 1881 and September, 1881. He did not get the results he was hoping for. Three of the four physicians found him to be "…corpulent and lethargic…." (he was five feet four and one half inches tall but weighed 170-180 pounds) and they could not find any cause of a disability.[26] Only one doctor, Charles W. Peck of Brandon, Vermont found Jared to "…be a sick man, incurable, honest & upright & Entitled to a pension…."[27] Dr. Peck, who was Jared's family physician, described Jared's "ailments" only in the most general and vague terms.

The disappointing results of his physical exams did not deter Jared from pressing his disability claim. In May 1882, Jared submitted to another examination by a team of doctors. By now, Jared was beginning to realize he needed a stronger argument for being disabled. So he added rheumatism to the list of afflictions. He now had chronic diarrhea continuously and rheumatism. But the board of physicians found him in "perfect health" again and could find no evidence of disability.[28]

Jared was really irritated by the latest findings. He went back to his lawyers and re-filed his petition for restoration of his pension on August 27, 1884.[29] Once again he sought Dr. Peck's help in the matter. This time, the good doctor fortified his statement with a barrage of medical jargon: "…I was first called professionally into Jared L. Jones family on Sept. 15th, 1869….and found him suffering from 'Chronic Intestinal Catarrh' due to obstructed portal circulation…I then prescribed for him…with the same result of relieving him for a few days only when the diarrhea again returned…and will doubtless follow him…I think his trouble is caused by 'obstructed portal circulation' causing a congestion of the small intestines and thus a diarrhea, a disease I find quite common among men who served in the late war…It would be my judgment that this man has been able to work about one half the time since I knew him…."[30]

The good reliable doctor hit all the bases on his assessment of Jared. He linked the disability to his service. He included the degree of disability. He identified the origin of it and its duration. He was very particular in his description of the cause for it. However, the Government didn't buy it and again rejected the application on May 25, 1885.[31]

A lesser determined man would have given up by now. Not Jared. June 11, 1886 he filed to be restored again. He added two new ailments to his growing list. Besides diarrhea and rheumatism, he suffered from dyspepsia and indigestion all related to his getting soaked in a rain storm while marching to Lee's Mills, Virginia in 1862.[32]

Then, in 1890, Congress passed a revised act (Act of June 27, 1890) that had new provisions in it that were advantageous to Jared's case. The most critical eligibility requirement that affected Jared was the one which stipulated that a soldier's permanent disability not due to "viscious habits" nor "…need not to have originated in the service…" The rates ranged from $6 to $12 "…proportioned to the degree of inability to earn a support…."[33]

By the 10th of July, 1890, Jared and his lawyers had started the process for reinstatement of his pension for the last time. Because the disability did not have to be service related, just present, Jared had no trouble finding doctors who would swear he could not support himself through manual labor. Now in his sixties, none of them found Jared to be in "perfect health". In fact, one doctor's examination of Jared done July 21, 1897 found: "….Conjunctive injected. Teeth 1/2 gone, gums ulcerated. Tongue brownish coat. skin pale and moist. Stomach dilated. abdominal walls fat. abdomen nonpanitic. spleen normal. slight general oedema (edema). Liver dullness…Rheumatism upper joints. Normal crepitus in right knee. in Left leg throughout…." He also had a bad heart and a double hernia.[34]

It took Jared thirteen years to get back on the pension rolls of the Government, but he finally succeeded. The Department of the Interior was probably glad to get rid of the pesky little mosquito. He was paid $12 per month which commenced on July 15, 1890. The Feds did not have to pay him very long. On April 5, 1899 Jared died in Goshen, Vermont of dropsy, the excessive accumulation of fluid in the cavities of the body especially around vital organs.[35]

Within two weeks of Jared's death, Amelia, now his widow, applied for a pension.[36] At sixty-four, she was expecting something as his widow. She and her lawyer filed for benefits under the Act of June 27, 1890. Her declaration was in the hands of the Pension Bureau by July 25, 1900.[37]

The Government insisted on being provided with proof that Amelia was actually married twice, to two different men, both of them former soldiers. She had get town officials, neighbors, friends, relatives and even herself to complete affidavits swearing to the fact that she was legally married to Jared in 1866. She even had to provide proof that Jared's first wife, Arvilla H. Jones, was actually dead. Once all of that was done, the Pension Board finally gave their approval in January, 1901 of her claim.[38] For her trouble, Amelia was awarded an $8 per month pension.[39]

Just like her deceased second husband, Amelia was a fighter. She had won a pension, but it may have been too little to meet her needs. In July of 1901 she filed a brief to reopen Jared's 1885 rejected claim for disability. The family physician, C.W. Peck, once again submitted evidence to the Pension Bureau in 1897 and 1899 which was considered by a "medical referee" and found unconvincing. The appeal was rejected on July 20, 1901.[40]

Like her late husband, Jared, Amelia was to benefit from new pension legislation passed by Congress. One Act was passed in 1901 and the other in 1903. Both laws enhanced soldiers' and widow's benefits. One condition allowed widows to receive a pension under a soldier killed in action even after she remarried. Certainly Amelia had grounds for meeting this rule since she was remarried and lost her widow's pension under Ferrin. Additionally, she met the income requirement which stipulated that a person could not have an income above $250 annually.[41] Her declaration was filed on April 12, 1904 and she was granted $12 per month, under Ferrin's service, by May 3, 1904.[42]

In the process of applying for this new benefit, Amelia had to submit statements as to her financial status. The affidavits provided an interesting picture of her income and standard of living. The Town Clerk of Goshen, Thomas V. Hooker, of whom more will be said later, revealed that Amelia's real estate in Goshen was worth $1,000 and her personal property was valued at $650. The farm still had a $763 mortgage on it. She rented her farm (to her son, John) for $126 a year. Amelia herself only received $63 of the rent annually for reasons explained shortly.
The town clerk swore that was "…all the income of Mrs. Amelia A. Jones…."[43]

Amelia's son, John, operated the farm and managed the livestock for an annual rental fee. But ownership of the two hundred twenty-five acre farm, house, outbuildings and animals was retained by Amelia and another son, Heman. After Jared died, when exactly is uncertain, she turned over half ownership of everything to him for the consideration of one dollar - just enough to make it legal. Amelia was to keep the household furniture as solely hers and receive from Heman a monthly stipend of $25 for the rest of her life.[44]

By 1920, Congress had changed pension regulations again. Amelia ended up receiving $30 per month in payments.[45] Just when circumstances seemed to be going in Amelia's favor, her life took a sudden turn for the worse. The public record did not reveal all of the details of Amelia's final years. But one very interesting document did come to light. On July 20, 1920, our former Town Clerk of Goshen, Mr. Thomas V. Hooker, got himself appointed Amelia's legal guardian by the Addison Probate Court by declaring her a "…mentally incapable adult person…." Why no member of her rather large immediate family did not come forward to assume that role is not stated in the public record. But for the last four years of Amelia's life, Mr. Hooker, while not a complete stranger but not a close acquaintance either, was in charge of caring for Amelia and acting as her legal voice.[46]

At eighty-seven, Amelia slipped into a condition that required constant care. Mr. Hooker paid for her needs for the most part during the last two years. It appeared that Amelia was living with her daughter, Elsie, in Randolph, Vermont at the time of her death on April 20, 1924.[47]

Mr. Hooker, being Amelia's legal guardian, also had the responsibility of arranging and paying for all her funeral expenses. Even after her death, it seemed that none of her immediate family wanted to have anything to do with her. Mr. Hooker, while being the town clerk at one time, also was a local business man. When he notified the Pension Bureau of the passing of Amelia, he wrote the letter on stationery that had his businesses letter head on it: "Dealer in Cattle, Wool, Lambs, Sheep, Hogs, Poultry, Hay; All kinds of Country Produce; Potatoes in Carload Lots a Specialty." In that letter, he was very sure to inquire about whether "…we (were) to get any part of the Pension…." and if there was "…anything for burial expenses as she was entirely without any funds except her pension…."[48] I guess he didn't know about the rental income that was agreed to by Heman and his mother back in 1909. Towards the end of Amelia's life, she apparently needed around the clock care. Elsie, her daughter, stated that her mother was "helpless" for the last six years of her life. Documents found support the fact that someone was hired by Mr. Hoover, at least during the last sixteen months of Amelia's life, to care for her. A Mr. G.F. Fassett was paid $56.42 by Mr. Hoover for her care from December 29, 1923 to January 26, 1924.[49] Mr. Hoover's accounting did not specify who, if any one, looked after Amelia before or after those dates. Dr. F.C. Angell who attended Amelia during her final illnesses between January 1, 1923 and April 20, 1924, declared that he had been paid his fees.[50]

Mr. Hoover, being the conscientious business man that he was, submitted a detailed account of final expenses that the estate needed to pay on September 16 or 17, 1924. The total amounted to $146.62. He broke it down thusly: $8.50 for physician's bills; $110.75 for the undertaker in Randolph, Vermont who embalmed Amelia's remains ($10), supplied the Gray 1/2 Couch Casket she was buried in, provided the auto hearse service ($10) and paid for the permits ($.75). The Randolph undertaker also operated the Big Furniture Store in town which also sold Sporting Goods. Amelia's body had to be transported from Randolph where she died, to Goshen where she was to be buried. That cost another $4.37. The E.N. Miller and Chas L. Stay Establishments under Abner V. Freer, Inc. (Furniture And Undertaking) picked up the casket at the Brandon Depot, transported the remains from there to the church and cemetery in Goshen, paid the clergyman his fee and the State for the burial permits for $15. The grave digger, a Mr. F.A. Titus, got paid $8 for preparing Amelia's final resting place.[51]

You would think that, with the death of Antoinette Amelia Brown Cross Jones, there would be an end to their story. Not so. Elsie Adeliza Cross, daughter of Ferrin Cross and Antoinette Brown took the unremitting fight with the Federal Government that her step-father and biological mother had waged for years, to a new and different level. Elsie felt that since her mother had received benefits under Ferrin's service, that she, as Ferrin's daughter and orphan, should also be entitled to assistance. In a letter to the Department of the Interior, or the States of Vermont and/or New Hampshire or both (from the letters it is impossible to discern to whom exactly she was writing) dated May 5, 1924, she questioned whether orphans of the war were not entitled to benefits as well as widows. In her appeal, Elsie describes her heart rending situation: "…I was born with a bad stigmatic eye trouble and altho I have been fited to glasses they are painful and confusing to me. I have never been very strong I am of light weight less than 100 lbs….I have been a widow for many years living alone and dependant on myself. I am now nearly 70 years old and I have quite a Hospital record at the Hospitals in Burlington, Vt. from operations….And now for the last eleven (11) years I have a bad skin trouble with boils and blotches…." She ends her letter with "…I am not expecting that my circumstances to be any better unless I may be granted a pension…."[52]

Considering the many trials and tribulations that Amelia and Jared went through to secure their rights under the law and their prolonged and determined battle with the Govern-
ment, I would not want to be one of the Pension Bureau employees who had to deal with Elsie!


1. Vermont in the Civil War/Cemeteries/Vermont/Goshen/Goshen Cemetery/Jones, Jared L./Vitals, and, Jared Lorenzo Jones.
2., Find A Grave Memorial for Jared Lorenzo Jones.
3., 1850 U.S. Federal Census under Gerard L. Jones, and, Find A Grave Memorial #114124873.
4., 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 U.S. Federal Census under Jared L. Jones; Ibid., Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908; Ibid., Civil War Draft Registrations for 1863; Ibid., Death Records for Jared L. Jones; Ibid., Marriage Certificate for Jared L. Jones.
5. Op cit., Vermont, Vital Records 1720-1908;, Find A Grave Memorial for Jared Lorenzo Jones.
6. Op cit., 1860 U.S. Federal Census under Jared Yoney.
7., image 296461477 (Certificate of Marriage);, Find A Grave Memorial for Jared Lorenzo Jones;, image 296461466 (declaration to obtain pension benefits filed 2/18/1865).
8., 1870 and 1880 U.S. Federal Census under Amelia Jones and Jared Jones.
9., Compiled Service Records of Volunteers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Vermont, p. 3, image 311428840. Hereinafter referred to as Compiled Service Records….
10. Ibid., Compiled Service Records…, p. 4, image 311428845.
11., U.S., American Civil War Regiments, 1861-1866.
12., pp. 116-117, image 296461791 (dictated letter dated 12/29/1875).
13., 1970 U.S. Federal Census under Amelia Jones.
14. Ibid., 1880 U.S. Federal Census under Jared Jones.
15. Op cit., Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908 for Jared L. Jones.
16., image 296461583.
17. Ibid., image 296461515.
18. Op cit., Original Invalid Pension, image 296461788.
19. Op cit., Invalid Pension, pp. 116-117, images 296461722 and 296461794.
20. Op cit., pp. 118-19, images 296461801 and 296461798.
21. Op cit., General Affidavit, pp. 135-36, image 296461851.
22. Op cit., pp. 151-52, image 296461894.
23. Op cit., pp. 141-42, image 296461866.
24. Op cit., General Affidavit, p. 127, image 296461827.
25. Op cit., Original Invalid Pension, p. 115, image 296461788.
26. Op cit., Examining Surgeon's Certificate, pp. 153 and 155, images 296461900 and 296461907.
27. Op cit., General Affidavit, p. 137, image 296461856.
28. Op cit., Examining Surgeon's Certificate, p. 159, image 296461916.
29. Op cit., Declaration For Restoration To The Pension Roll, p. 111, image 296461774.
30. Op cit., Physician's Affidavit, p. 139, image 296461861.
31. Op cit., Declaration For Restoration to the Pension Roll, p. 98, image 296461734.
32. Op cit.
33. Op cit., Soldier's Application, p. 96, image 296461728.
34. Op cit., p. 169, image 296461948.
35., Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908 for Jared L. Jones and, General Affidavit, p. 78, image 296461674.
36., U.S. Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934 for Jared L. Jones.
37., Declaration For Widow's Pension, p. 56, image 296461605.
38. Ibid., Accrued Pensions, images 296461976 and 296462092.
39. Op cit., image 296462156.
40. Op cit., Brief For Reopening, p. 97, image 296461731.
41. Op cit., Declaration Of A Widow Who Has Remarried, p. 229, image 296462126.
42. Op cit., image 296462154.
43. Op cit., General Affidavit dated 11/20/1906, p. 235, image 296462142.
44. Op cit., Warranty Deed signed 9/7/1909, pp. 206-07, image 296462056.
45. Op cit., image 296462154.
46. Op cit., Court Certificate of Guardianship dated 11/4/1920. p. 179, image 296461980.
47., Vermont, Death Records, 1909-2008 for Antanette Amelia Jones and Ibid., 1920 U.S. Federal Census under Amelia A. Jones.
48., Hooker letter, p. 30, image 296461529.
49. Ibid., p. 200, image 296462039.
50. Op cit., Statement Of Attending Physician, p. 205, image 296462054.
51. Op cit., pp. 197, 203, 208 and 209, images296462028, 296462047, 296462064 and 296462067.
52. Op cit., pp. 219 and 221, images 296462095 and 296462102.

Contributed by Bernie Noble.