Vermont Flag Site Logo

Fisher, Lewis W.


Age: 23, credited to Danville, VT
Unit(s): 4th VT INF
Service: enl 8/23/61, m/i 9/21/61, 1SGT, Co. H, 4th VT INF, comn 2LT, Co. D, 9/23/62 (1/24/63), pr 1LT, Co. I, 4/19/64 (5/5/64), pow, Weldon Railroad, 6/23/64, prld 3/1/65 from Columbia, SC, pr CPT, Co. A, 6/4/65 (6/17/65), m/o 7/13/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 1838, Danville, VT
Death: 12/02/1920

Burial: Danville Green Cemetery, Danville, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Carolyn Adams
Findagrave Memorial #: 18425454


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Unknown
Portrait?: Gibson Collection, Italo Collection, VHS Collections
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Danville Green Cemetery, Danville, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Vermont Officers Reunion Society Collection
Courtesy Vermont Historical Society

(Gibson Collection)



Capt. Lewis W, Fisher died at his home in Washington Dec. 2, age 82 years Funeral services will be held in Danville, Sunday, Dec. 5.

Capt. Fisher was born in Danville, March 4, 1838, being the son of Joel H. and Fidelia (Russ)Fisher. He obtained his education at Phillips Academy in his native town, and enlisted for service in Danville, August 23, 1861, becoming a member of Company F, Fourth Vermont regiment

After drilling for a month the company was ordered to Camp Holbrook at Brattleboro, where he was mustered into the United States on September 2, 1861. On the way to Brattleboro he was appointed First Sergeant, and held that office until he was promoted Second Lieutenant in Company D, September 23, 1862. He was promoted to First Lieutenant of Company I, June 12, 1864.

He was taken prisoner June 23, 1864 on the Weldon Railroad and taken to Libby Prison where he was kept a week. He was then transferred to Savannah, Charleston, Columbia, and finally Raleigh, where he was paroled. From there he was marched to Wilmington where the Northern Army had established itself. On March 1, 1865 transportation was furnished him to Annapolis where a leave of absence was given him for 30 days. He then returned to parole camp at Annapolis, and there learned of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. He was granted a leave of absence to attend the funeral of Abraham Lincoln. After this he was exchanged and returned to his regiment. There he was appointed Captain of Company A., June 14, 1865.

Capt. Fisher participated in all engagements of the Fourth Vermont until November, 1863, when he was ordered back to Vermont on recruiting service, being stationed at Brattleboro. During the winter '63-'64 he was detailed as acting adjutant of the Post. In the following May he was ordered to join the regiment, and was in the severe fighting at Cold Harbor and Petersburg;

Capt. Fisher was an active member of Champlain Post, No. 1, G. A. R., holding all the offices and being Commander in 1908 when the Post celebrated its fortienth (sic) anniversary.

After the war Capt. Fisher engaged in farming, and lumbering, later purchasing the goods at the store at St Johnsbury East. He was postmaster of that village from 1896 to 1904, when having sold out the store, he retired as postmaster.

For the past few years Capt. Fisher has made his home in Washington, though had been a frequent visitor to St. Johnsbury, having spent several weeks in the town this past summer,
Caledonia Record, December 4, 1920

Courtesy of Deanna French

Previous Page