Vermont Flag Site Logo

Larabee, Jerome B. H.


Age: 21, credited to Irasburg, VT
Unit(s): 4th VT INF
Service: drafted - enl 8/28/63, m/i 8/28/63, PVT, Co. C, 4th VT INF, wdd, Wilderness, 5/5/64, mwia, Spotsylvania, 5/12/64, d/wds 6/21/64

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: unknown, Irasburg, VT
Death: 06/21/1864

Burial: Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA
Marker/Plot: 13/06008
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Bob Edwards
Findagrave Memorial #: 49244427


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Unknown
Portrait?: Guber Collection off-site
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


4th Great Granduncle of Christiana Nilson Martin, Montpelier, VT

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Arlington National Cemetery, VA

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


More Boys Fallen.

We are sorry to be again compelled to record the deaths of more of our friends in the army -- fallen under the merciless aim of the foe.

Jerome B. H. Larrabee of this town, and a member of Co. C, 4th regiment, died in Washington, on Monday the 20th of June, of wounds received in the Wilderness battle, May 5th. He was a good boy -- one to be trusted in any place or position. While he lay upon the field he fell under the eye of a "Good Samaritan" in the rebel uniform. In one of the wild charges made on that day our men were driven back, when a rebel soldier found Larrabee, saw his condition and pulled out his flask and gave him a drink of whiskey, then covered him up with his blanket and left him. They are not all cruel.

Eddie Nye, also of this town, died in Washington on Wednesday, June 22d, of wounds received at the battle of Cold Harbor. After receiving his wound, he lay upon the field one day, was then taken to a tent where he lay upon the ground six days more, then put into an ambulance and hauled over a corduroy road for seventeen miles -- enough we should think to kill a sound man. Yet he survived to died in a hospital and attended by a brother in his last hours.

Caspar B. Kent, formerly of this town, was killed almost instantly on the 16th of June, while on picket. He was hit in the forehead by a sharpshooter, and lived but about ten minutes; "Where am I hit?" were the only wounds he spoke to a loved comrade who was with him. He leaves a heart-broken wife and two small children to mourn him. We knew him well and for many years; he was a large-hearted man, no niggard, a brave soldier, an exemplary christian. His body lies buried above a cold spring and under some beautiful gum trees in Virginia. --- "His soul is marching on."

Orleans Independent Standard, July 1, 1864

Previous Page