Vermont Flag Site Logo

Lawrence, Joseph Phillip


Age: 18, credited to New Haven, VT
Unit(s): 11th VT INF
Service: enl 7/21/62, m/i 9/1/62, Pvt, Co. B, 11th VT INF, wdd, 6/6/64, wdd, 6/6/64, m/o 6/24/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 03/01/1845, Charlotte, VT
Death: 08/09/1921

Burial: Evergreen Cemetery, New Haven, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Alan Lathrop

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: Loraine, Joseph P.
Pension?: Yes, 4/9/1877; widow Mary E., 8/21/1921, VT (as Lawrence)
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

Webmaster's Note: The 11th Vermont Infantry was also known as the 1st Vermont Heavy Artillery; the names were used interchangably for most of its career


Great Grandfather of Stephanie Goulette Cooper, West Paris, ME

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Evergreen Cemetery, New Haven, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Joseph Loraine

Joseph Loraine of New Haven, a veteran of the Civil War, died at the Mary Fletcher hospital Monday after a long illness of cancer. He is survived by Mrs. Loraine, a son Antoine of Rutland, and three daughters, Mrs. Louis Goulette of Weybridge, Mrs. Rufus Jenkins and Mrs. Mary Goulette of New Haven. The funeral was held at St. Ambrose church in Bristol this morning. Burial was made in Evergreen cemetery.

Source: Middlebury Register, Aug 12, 1921
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.


Usually I do not include more than one veteran in the same article at the same time. That practice allows me to focus on just one man's story, giving that particular soldier his moment in the sunshine alone without being overshadowed by competing elements. This time, however, I am going to violate that habit and blend two different, but closely related, stories together.

The two Union veterans covered in this article are Anthony (aka Antwine) Loraine and his brother, Joseph Phillip Loraine, Senior. Both brothers changed their surnames to "Lawrence" at one phase of their lives. Both were native Vermonters. They shared, of course, the same parents and childhood environment. Anthony was the older of the two and had the shortest life span. Joseph was younger and lived the longest. Anthony did not live long enough to get in any kind of serious trouble, while Joseph always seemed to be in the middle of some turmoil. Anthony never did anything other than farm for a living. Joseph was a jack-of-all-trades (master of none) going from job to job seeking something he never seemed able to find.

Anthony (Antwine) Loraine (Lawrence) was born on July 7, 1840 in New Haven, Vermont. [1] His military records refer to him as "Lawrence". His other public records use Loraine as his surname. Why the switch, which appeared to only occur at the time of his military enlistment and which his younger brother, Joseph, duplicated when he enlisted, was never explained in any documents consulted for this piece. His family surname was definitely "Loraine" (sometimes spelled Lorraine). Anthony was a Junior as well. His father was Antoine Loraine, Sr. (1818-1892). [2] As the names imply, he was of French Canadian origins, having been born in Canada. Julia, Anthony's mother, was from New York state. [3] When exactly the family immigrated into the United States was not known, but, by 1850, Antoine and Julia, with three of their children, were settled in Charlotte, Vermont. At first, Antoine supported his family by being a common laborer. His total net worth in 1850 was estimated at $200. Obviously, he and Julia, ten year old Antoine, Jr., Joseph, five and Mary, less than a year old, were not living in the lap of luxury. Since entering the United States somewhere near Chazy, New York in the 1840's, the Loraine's had moved across Lake Champlain into Vermont where they began raising their family. Antoine (Anthony) was born either in Charlotte or New Haven in 1840; Joseph, son number two, was born in Charlotte five years later; and sister Mary was born March 1, 1850, also in Charlotte. [4]

Ten years later, 1860, conditions were radically different for the Loraine family. French Canadians are well known for their industriousness and hard working ethic. Certainly Antoine, Sr. was no exception to that reputation. By the 1860 Federal Census year, Antoine had moved his family to New Haven where he had bought farm land and had developed an operation worth $3,400. Plus his personal property now amounted to another $600. He had improved his net worth considerably in a short period of time. His estate value was not the only thing he was responsible for increasing. Along with his property holdings, his family size had also doubled. Between 1850 and 1860, three more Loraine children were born: William (about 1852); Margaret (about 1854); and Harry (about 1856). Antoine was working his farm with the help of his two oldest boys, Anthony and Joseph. Although neither Antoine nor his wife, Julia, could read or write, they saw to it that their children went to school to learn the basics of education, including Joseph who attended school when in session. Twenty year old Anthony was the only full time help the father of the family had to assist with the farm chores. [5]

Then another April morning came along in 1861. Hardly had the echo of the New Year's fireworks died away when the sky was filled with thunderous explosions of another kind. Far more lethal fire power illuminated the pre-dawn sky of Charleston, South Carolina. April 12, 1861 etched itself into the history of America as being the day that a four year long, bloody and painful civil war of disobedience shattered the resemblance of a United States of North America. Young men, like twenty-one year old Anthony Loraine were beside themselves with patriotic fervor. They nearly trampled one another in order to get to stand before an army recruiter waiting to accept them into military service. The youthful, naïve frenzy to don a blue uniform was overwhelming. The nation embraced the idealistic concept of war with itself with a passionate ardor.

May 20, 1861 was the day Anthony stood in front of the Vergennes recruiter Captain Solon Eaton to sign his enlistment papers and become a member of the Second Vermont Regiment of Volunteers for the next three years. He was twenty-one, five feet nine inches in height, had sandy complexion, blue eyes and light hair. He claimed to be a farmer. [6] He seemed slightly confused about a couple of important personal details about himself. On one occasion he stated his age was nineteen rather than twenty-one. A simple mistake; many of us loose track of how old we are. However, not remembering where you were born is a different matter. When enlisting in 1861, he said he was born in New Haven, yet when he was discharged he stated he had been born in Chazy, New York. That was a major faux pas. Most of us are quite sure where we were born, even if we can't remember when. Perhaps there was a reason for his stating two different places of birth. His mother was from Chazy, New York. Maybe that was what he was thinking when he made that statement. Even more mystifying is his name change. He was born Loraine, yet he, and later his younger brother, decided to go by the name "Lawrence". Both boys only used that surname on their military records. It doesn't appear any where else. [7]

What the exuberant and innocent young Anthony dreamed of accomplishing by entering the military to fight a war like no other seen on this continent before, could not have been further from the reality of what happened to him. Like thousands of vigorous volunteers and draftees after him, it was sickness that took him, not lead or iron missiles of death. He enlisted on May 20, 1861 in Vergennes. [8] Anthony was mustered-in the Second Vermont June 20, 1861 at Burlington, Vermont. [9] By July 21, 1861, Private "Lawrence" experienced his first combat engagement of the war. On the retreat (more like a panicked rout to be fair) of Union troops mixed with citizens, who had come to watch the First Battle of Bull Run carrying their parasols and picnic baskets, back to the safety of Washington's city streets, Private Lawrence fell into a stream and got thoroughly soaked. Prior to this incident, he had already been suffering from a nagging illness that drained his energy and made keeping up with his company difficult. He spent the night wet and cold, contracting a severe cold for his trouble. The cold quickly turned into an extreme inflammation of his lungs. His weakened condition deteriorated very rapidly. For the month of August, he was too sick to perform any duty, as was verified by his commanding officer, Captain Solon Eaton, on August 27, 1861. On September 3, 1861 the Regimental Surgeon certified that Private Lawrence was unfit for duty the past thirty days and was unlikely to recover from his illness. Therefore, he was given a medical discharge for tuberculosis and sent home to die. [10] Private Lawrence was too weak to travel by himself, so the Chaplain of the Regiment, C.B. Smith, accompanied him home to New Haven. The pair of them passed through Burlington on the 5th of September. [11] Anthony "Lawrence" (aka Antoine Loraine, Jr.) died at home among family and friends on September 18, 1861 of consumption. [12] He was buried in Evergreen Cemetery in New Haven.

Now brother Joseph Phillip Loraine, Senior, born March 1, 1845, Anthony's younger brother by about five years, was a horse of a different color. [13] He was unlike his brother in temperament and deportment. He was a restless man, becoming a jack-of-all-trades but master of none. In his lifetime, he was a well known and recognized blacksmith; soldier; mason; member of the New Haven road crew; farmer; hired hay cutter; violent drunk; father of a horse thief; jailbird; and automobile delivery man. He had the same upbringing as Anthony. Maybe if Anthony had lived longer, he, too, would have exhibited some of the same characteristics as Joseph. Or maybe Joseph was just born with a bit of larceny in his heart. Or perhaps it was being only five feet four and one half inches tall that put a burr under Joseph's saddle. His unusually short stature may be what Joseph's rough and tumble demeanor was trying to compensate for.

Joseph was not old enough to go with his older brother and fight in the great War of the Rebellion in 1861. He had to wait a little while. But he was home when Anthony returned to die of TB. Even then, he had to wait an agonizing one year to become of age to enlist. It was almost exactly one year to the day from his brother's fatal illness that disabled him and eventually caused his death when young eighteen (almost) year old Joseph Loraine followed in his brother's footsteps. July 21, 1862 in Shoreham, Vermont was the day Joseph relinquished being Mister Loraine to become Private Lawrence. Joseph had the same look about him as his older brother : light skin, hair and eyes. He was also a farmer like his brother. He enlisted for three years with the Eleventh Vermont Infantry, Company B. [14] The Eleventh Vermont Infantry was also known as the First Vermont Heavy Artillery. Upon being mustered-in on September 1, 1862 at Brattleboro, Vermont, Private Lawrence (Joseph also used the "Lawrence" surname like his brother) was paid a $2.00 premium plus a bounty of $25. [15]

The regiment, to which Joseph was a member, was originally mustered-in as the Eleventh Vermont Volunteer Infantry in September, 1862. In mid-December of that year, it was re-designated as the First Heavy Artillery. Unfortunately, official and personal records used both designations which has caused great confusion.

The Eleventh Regiment was the largest Vermont regiment sent to the war, both in original membership and in total enrollment. It was recruited as an infantry regiment at the same time as the Tenth, under the call of July 2, 1862 from President Lincoln for 300,000 volunteers. By the middle of August, ten companies had been organized. The Regiment rendezvoused at Camp Bradley in Brattleboro, Vermont where they were mustered into the U.S. service September 1, 1862 for three years. It left the State on September 7 for Washington, D.C. where it arrived on the ninth and was immediately assigned to duty in the chain of forts constituting the northern defenses of the capital. By order of the Secretary of War, dated December 10, 1862, it was made a heavy artillery unit becoming re-designated as the First Heavy Artillery.

The Eleventh remained in the defenses of Washington, D.C. for a period of eighteen months, during which time it was chiefly employed strengthening the works, constructing and garrisoning Forts Stevens, Slocum and Totten. During the latter part of its artillery service at Washington, the Regiment garrisoned four other forts and occupied a line of about seven miles. It experienced little of the real hardships of war during 1863 and the first months of 1864. It had comfortable quarters, the men enjoyed excellent health and rations - even luxuries were abundant for a price. It maintained an excellent state of discipline typical of Vermont troops, and was rated the best disciplined regiment in the defense of the capital. After the terrible Federal losses at the Battle of the Wilderness, the Eleventh was ordered to join the Army of the Potomac. It reported for duty as infantry near Spotsylvania Court House with nearly 1,500 men.

During the severe Overland Campaign that followed, the Regiment participated in every major engagement of the Sixth Corps from May 1864 to April 1865: Spotsylvania; Cold Harbor; Petersburg; Welden railroad; Fort Stevens; Charlestown; Gilbert's ford; Opequan; Fisher's Hill; Cedar Creek; Petersburg siege. In the debacle at Welden railroad, June 23, 1864, the Regiment suffered the greatest loss sustained by any Vermont Regiment in a single action. It lost nine killed, thirty-one wounded and two hundred sixty-one captured. All the captives were sent to Andersonville prison where two hundred thirty-two of them died.

Original members, recruits for one year and recruits whose term of service expired before October 1, 1865, were mustered-out on June 24, 1865. The remainder of the Regiment was consolidated into one battalion of heavy artillery and stationed in the defenses of Washington until mustered-out on August 25, 1865. The original members of the Eleventh numbered 1,315. Recruits and transfers amounted to an additional 1,005. The total rank and file was 2,320. Of that number, 152 were killed in action; 210 died of disease; 457 were wounded; 339 where captured; 2 died by accident. [16]

Private Lawrence didn't waste any time getting into trouble with the Union Army. The Company Muster Roll for November/December, 1862 listed him as "present" which indeed he was as he was "…confined in Post Guard House awaiting sentence of General Court Martial". [17] Private Lawrence was about to find out that the army was not going to tolerate any shenanigans from its members. Two charges were brought against him: one was for theft; the other was for leaving his post as sentry (probably so he could commit offense number one). The Court Martial, held on December 30, 1862 at Fort Lincoln, D.C., found Private Lawrence guilty of the first charge based on evidence presented. However, the Court had to dismiss the second charge for lack of sufficient evidence. [18] What punishment Private Lawrence received from the Court Martial for his transgressions was not disclosed in his military records. Typically it would have involved some form of corporal punishment or monetary fine. This experience proved to be enough to set Private Lawrence on a different course of action for the remainder of his term of service as there were no other breaches of military conduct committed by this soldier. He stayed healthy and out of trouble until his discharge in June of 1865. His service record did indicate that Private Lawrence was slightly wounded (a flesh wound of the hip) during action on June 4, 1864, but it was of no consequence. [19] What may have been more debilitating to him was that he owed the Government money that had to be paid before he could be released from the service. He owed $9.89 for clothing received. He owed another $6.00 for a Springfield musket if he wanted to take it with him. And then there was the matter of $4.00 he owed to sutler Evans. The good news was that the U.S. Government owed him $75.00 in bounty money, so he did go home with some coin in his pocket. [20]

Joseph wasted no time at all when he got back to New Haven in getting settled down and readjusted to civilian life. Within months of his return, he married. She was a woman named Mary Elizabeth Laramay (1839-1924). She was six years older than Joseph. [21] Her parents, Joseph Laramay (1815-?) and Susan (1827-?), were both from Canada. She and her family were living in Chazy, New York by 1850 when she was eleven. Mary's birthplace was also given as Canada. [22] Altogether, over their long marriage, the couple had six children: Julia Ann (Santau), 1866-1909; Joseph, Jr., 1868-1896; Margaret (Goulette), 1870-1950; Luella, 1876-1893; Lucy (Steele), 1877-1901; and Mary E. (Goulette), 1879-1931. [23] It seemed that Joseph, Sr. and his family shuttled back and forth from New Haven, Vermont to Chazy, New York where Mary's family had settled. Joseph's family was based in New Haven despite the fact that Joseph Jr., his second child, was born in 1869 at Chazy, New York. [24] Apparently Joseph's marriage did not have much of a dampening effect on his behavior like sometimes happens when a wild young man takes a wife. A notice in the Burlington Free Press in 1871 under the byline "Criminal Calendar" reported "…the following…respondents pleaded guilty to illegal sale of intoxicating liquor: State vs Joseph Loraine,…fined $10 and costs…." [25]

Joseph was about thirty-four in 1880. He worked in the New Haven area as a laborer for at least ten of the previous twelve months. His family was up to its full strength of five girls and one son by then. Fourteen year old Julia, the oldest daughter, was listed in the 1880 Federal Census as a "servant". Joseph, Maggie and Lucy all attended school. Luella, five, and Mary, ten months, were "at home". There was an old expression about an apple never falling very far from the tree. Joseph Jr. was the embodiment of that saying. Remember that his father, Joseph Sr., while in the Union Army during the recent insurrection, had gotten himself court martialed for stealing. Six years after he was discharged from the service, and after getting married, and after starting a family of his own, he got arrested again. This time for illegally selling booze. And then, in 1888, his only son, Joseph Jr., who was about twenty at the time, got himself mixed up with the law as well. According to the Daily Journal of Montpelier: "…One Joseph Loraine stole from Ira Twitchel in Weybridge a horse and harness and took the train for Rouse's Point. He was caught and is now in Addison county jail." [26] Indeed, the apple did not fall far from the trunk of this tree.

It appeared that Joseph Jr. had worked for Mr. Twitchel during the summer of 1888. For some reason known only to Joseph Jr., he decided he wanted to return to Canada where his family had originally come from. He had uncles living in Chazy, New York area whom he could have visited on his way there. So, in November of 1888, he stole a horse from Mr. Twitchel and headed for Lake Champlain where he could cross over to New York and catch a train north. Some accounts of this story related that he also stole a wagon from someone other than Mr. Twitchel (see article on William H. Cobb). When Joseph Jr. got to the lake crossing to Port Henry, he let the horse go, knowing it would go straight home on its own. He took a train to Rouse's Point. There he was caught by Officer Conley of Port Henry. Sheriff William H. Cobb came to Rouse's Point to remove the prisoner to the Addison County jail for trial. Justice Knapp bound Joseph Jr. up on $500 bail. Joseph Sr. could not come up with sufficient bond, so his son remained in jail until the December term of the court. The reporter ended his article with the statement: "…and has been a bad name for some time….", referring to Joseph Jr. [27] In December at the next term of the county court, Joseph Jr. was obviously found guilty of the charge of theft and was sent to the "House of Correction" in Rutland, Vermont to serve an eighteen month sentence. In March of 1890, Joseph Jr. escaped from the correctional center and headed for Chazy, New York again. He was caught and arrested a second time in his uncle's home and returned to Rutland to finish out his sentence which, undoubtedly, had been extended due to his having broken out of the institution and fleeing to New York. [28] After his release from the "House of Corrections", Joseph Jr. made an honest attempt to mend his wayward ways. On February 11, 1893 he married Lillie Green in New Haven. [29] Unfortunately, on May 17, 1896, he died of consumption at the age of twenty-eight. [30] His father had him laid to rest in Evergreen Cemetery in New Haven next to his sister, Luella, who had died in 1893. [31]

Near the turn of the century in October, 1902, Joseph Sr. had his third encounter with the local police. Our friend, Deputy Sheriff William H. Cobb came knocking on his door again. This time, Joseph Sr.'s wife had pressed charges against her husband for being intoxicated and abusive towards her. Officer Cobb arrested Joseph on two charges: one for public intoxication and the other for breach of peace. The village blacksmith pleaded guilty to both charges and was arraigned for trial before Judge Moore. The news reporter stated that "…Loraine has the reputation of being an 'ugly man' when in his cups, but he gave the officers no trouble, and seemed quite penitent and ashamed of his position after spending the night in jail." [32] Two weeks later, Joseph and Mary, both, were arrested by Sheriff Cobb on the charge of adultery! It seemed that the news of Joseph's domestic abuse case had reached the ears of a man named Sherbino from the Ausable, New York area who claimed to be Mary's husband. He had come to New Haven after her. Apparently Mary agreed to go back to New York with him, but Sherbino, not content with just reclaiming his wife, filed a complaint with Judge Moore against Joseph Loraine. Then the law (Sheriff Cobb) had to arrest both Mary and Joseph as required by statue for adultery. They both were held on $500 bail. Neither could come up with the necessary funds for release, so they both had to stay locked up in the Addison County jail pending trial. [33] On December 18, 1902, the prosecution in the case dismissed the charge of adultery owing to a lack of proof that Mary had ever been married to Sherbino. [34] Joseph and Mary were free to resume their normal relationship as husband and wife in the quiet, rural village of New Haven.

Besides being a blacksmith in New Haven and surrounding towns, it seemed that Joseph also worked on the town's road crew, at least during the warmer months of the year. The Burlington Free Press reported in 1904 that "….One of Joseph Loraine's horses fell down while at work on the road and in attempting to loosen the harness the horse kicked Mr. Loraine in the face knocking out a tooth…." [35] According to the New York State Census of 1905, sixty year old Joseph Loraine was living in Plattsburgh, New York, as a boarder in the household of thirty-six year old Laura Fountain. He was doing blacksmithing at the time. [36] By 1908, Joseph and Mary had put together enough money to buy a house in the village of New Haven. They purchased the home of the late Daniel Loraine in town for $750. [37] During the 1900's Joseph kept busy working at a number of different jobs. He worked at smithing which he was well known for in the vicinity of New Haven. He spent some time hiring out on the town road crew. In the fall of 1909, he completed doing work at the "government farm " (perhaps the Morgan Horse Farm). [38] On December 1, 1910, the New Haven News stated that he had rented his farm for the ensuing year and would be moving to his residence at "The Street" in the village. [39]

The beginning of 1910 found Joseph, now in his mid-sixties, pursuing a career as a general farmer. He had only his eighteen year old grandson, Joseph Fondell, to help him with the workload. He and Mary also had another grandchild, Maggie Lasian, nine, living with them on the farm. [40] In 1913 Joseph received a raise in his military pension which he had been getting for some time. It went from $16 to $24 per month in the fall of that year. [41] Normally we do not associate Civil War veterans with such modern devices as automobiles, but with Joseph, his life span overlapped Henry Ford's mass production of cars so that average Americans could afford to buy one. Joseph, always looking for a new angle to work, was one of those early New Havenites who jumped on the opportunity to own one of those horse-less carriages. On October 8, 1914, with Europe on the verge of the First World War, Joseph bought a Page-Detroit automobile. On fine weather days, he would take his family and friends for rides around the countryside. [42] However, these early versions of the greatest invention in transportation the world has ever seen were not always dependable. They were subject to frequent mechanical breakdowns when they weren't getting stuck in the deep mud ruts of the nations early automobile road system. Joseph found this out from first hand experience one day when his machine quit on him between Vergennes and New Haven. It is difficult for us today to understand that this was an event worthy of notice, but in Joseph's time, it was significant enough to be announced in the local newspapers. [43] In December of 1915, Joseph decided to get out of dairy farming completely. He sold his entire herd of Jersey cows to W.W. Bristol of Vergennes. [44] He went back to work as a blacksmith, being employed by E.H. Thomas, the carriage maker, in the Vergennes-Addison area. [45] Mary, Joseph's wife, was demanding more and more of his attention and time because of her failing health. May 2, 1918 she was reported in the local paper as having been ill for the past ten days due to heart trouble. [46] She was about six years older than Joseph. When he and Mary celebrated fifty-four years of marriage in the fall of 1919, neither of them were in very good health.

Both of them hung on to see 1920 roll around. Joseph was about seventy-three and lived on East Street in New Haven. He owned his home free and clear. He was retired from any daily labor. He and Mary were alone, enjoying, as best they could, their retirement years. [47] Then, in 1921, Joseph's health took a major hit. He suffered a severe stroke on February 7, 1921. As a result of it, he suffered some paralysis. [48] His condition continued to deteriorate and Joseph ended up in Mary Fletcher Hospital in Burlington, Vermont. On Tuesday morning, August 9, 1921, Joseph died of carcinoma of the head and a complication of diseases including myocarditis. [49] The funeral was held at St. Ambrose church in Bristol. Burial was in Evergreen Cemetery in New Haven. [50]

Mary survived Joseph but only for a short time. She, of course, collected a widow's pension after Joseph died. She received $30 per month for the rest of her life. [51] She was around eighty-five when she passed away March 27, 1924. [52] She was laid beside her husband, Joseph, of sixty-two years where she now rests in eternal peace.

1., Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908, Birth for Antoine Loraine, Jr.
2. Ibid., Myatt Ancestry Family Tree for Antoine "Anthony Lawrence" Loraine, Jr.
3. Ibid., 1850 U.S. Federal Census for Antwinn Loracie.
4. Ibid.
5. Ibid., 1860 U.S. Federal Census for Antoine Loraine.
6., Compiled Service Records of Union Soldiers Who Served in Organizations From the State of Vermont, Certificate of Disability, p. 21, image 310725134 for Private Anthony Lawrence. Hereinafter referred to as Compiled Service Records.
7. Ibid., Compiled Service Records, pp. 2 & 21, images 310725082 & 310725134 for A.J. Lawrence & Pvt. Anthony Lawrence.
8. Ibid., Compiled Service Records, p. 2, image 310725082.
9. Ibid., Compiled Service Records, p. 3, image 310725084.
10. Ibid., Compiled Service Records, p. 21, Certificate of Disability for Discharge, image 310725134.
11., Burlington Weekly Free Press, Fri., Sep. 13, 1861, p. 2.
12., Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908, Death for Antoine Loraine, Jr.
13., Memorial #139275521 for Joseph Loraine.
14., Compiled Service Records, p. 3, image 309686203.
15. Ibid., Compiled Service Records, p. 4, image 309686206.
16. Vermont in the Civil War/Units/1st Brigade/Eleventh Vermont Infantry; Vermont Infantry.
17., Compiled Service Records, p. 6, image 309686211.
18. Ibid., Compiled Service Records, p. 27, letter dated June 16, 1872, image 309686265.
19. Ibid., Compiled Service Records, p. 23, image 309686254.
20. Ibid., Compiled Service Records, p. 22, image 309686251.
21., Memorial #139275521 for Joseph Loraine.
22., 1850 U.S. Federal Census for Mary Laramay; Ibid., Vermont, Vital Records, 1909-2008, Death for Mary E. Loraine.
23., Memorial #139275625 for Mary E. Laramay Loraine.
24., Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908, Marriage for Joseph P. Loraine, Jr.
25., The Burlington Free Press, Fri., May 5, 1871.
26. Ibid., The Daily Journal, Thu., Nov. 8, 1888, p.3.
27. Ibid., The Northfield News, Wed., Nov. 14, 1888.
28. Ibid., Argus and Patriot, Wed., Mar. 19, 1890; Ibid., Burlington Weekly Free Press, Fri., Mar. 21, 1890.
29., Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908, Marriage for Joseph P. Loraine.
30. Ibid., Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908, Death for Joseph D. Loraine.
31., Memorial #139275103 for Joseph Loraine, Jr.
32., Middlebury Register, Fri., Oct. 31, 1902.
33. Ibid., Middlebury Register, Fri., Nov. 14, 1902.
34. Ibid., The Burlington Free Press, Fri., Dec. 19, 1902.
35. Ibid., Fri., Sep. 2, 1904.
36., 1905 New York State Census for Joseph Loraine.
37., Burlington Daily News, Sat., Oct. 24, 1908.
38. Ibid., Middlebury Record, Thu., Oct. 21, 1909.
39. Ibid., The New Haven News, Thu., Dec. 1, 1910.
40., 1910 U.S. Federal Census for Joseph Lorrain.
41., The Enterprise and Vermonter, Thu., Sep. 11, 1913.
42. Ibid., Thu., Oct. 8, 1914
43. Ibid., Middlebury Record, Thu. July 15, 1915.
44. Ibid., The New Haven News, Thu., Dec. 30, 1915.
45. Ibid., The Enterprise and Vermonter, Thu., Sep. 14, 1916.
46. Ibid., Thu., May 2, 1918.
47., 1920 U.S. Federal Census for Joseph L. Loracne.
48., Middlebury Record, Thu., Feb. 10, 1921.
49. Ibid., The Enterprise and Vermonter, Thu., Aug. 11, 1921;, Vermont, Vital Records, 1909-2008, Death for Joseph Phillip Lorrain.
50. Ibid., Middlebury Register, Fri., Aug. 12, 1921.
51., United States Veteran's Administration Payment Cards, 1907-1933 for Loraine, Mary E.
52., Memorial #139275625 for Mary E. Laramy Loraine.
Courtesy of Bernie Noble

Previous Page