Vermont Flag Site Logo

Individual Record

Franklin, Alvin B.

Age: 23, credited to Newfane, VT
Unit(s): 8th VT INF
Service: comn 1LT, Co. H, 8th VT INF, 1/17/62 (1/17/62), wdd, Raceland, 6/22/62, pr CPT, 10/27/63 (10/27/63), pr MAJ 11/24/64 (1/30/65), pr LTC 3/4/65 (3/13/65), m/o 6/28/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

Birth: 08/17/1838, Newfane, VT
Death: 10/02/1921

Burial: Oakwood Cemetery, Townshend, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Bob Hackett

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Unknown
Portrait?: Gibson Collection, Guber Collection off-site, VHS off-site
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

Copyright notice

Oakwood Cemetery, Townshend, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.

(Gibson Collection)



A. C. Franklin of Townshend received a letter Friday from his cousin, Harry Franklin, of Santa Cruz, Cal. , containing the news of the death Sunday, Oct. 2, of Col. Alvin B. Franklin, who had lived in the home of his son in California the past three years. The body has been sent East, and is expected here this week; The funeral is expected to be held at the Congregational Church, of which Col. Franklin was a constant attendant, Thursday morning at 10. The services will be in charge of Grand Army Post.

Colonel Franklin was born August 17, 1838, on the old Franklin farm, now occupied by H. J. Heath just over the line in Newfane. He was a son, and one of three children, of Phillip and Mary (Bailey) Franklin. His early education was acquired in Townshend schools and Leland and Gray Seminary.

At the outbreak of the war of the rebellion, he was active in aiding the formation of a company from this section -- Company H. of the eighth Vermont volunteers. He received the commission as first lieutenant of the company of which Colonel Henry Dutton was Captain, Jan. 17, 1862, and went at once into active service, engaging in the years of deadly struggles at the front which made the gallant regiment honored and renowned. He was severely wounded at the battle of Raceland June 22, 1862; after the deadly siege at Port Hudson he was, on June 12, 1863, made Captain of Company H. Colonel Dutton at the same time being promoted to Major. On Nov. 24, 1864, after the battles of Winchester and Opequon Colonel Franklin received the promotion to Major. It was at the latter battle. that Capt. Dutton received so severe a wound that he was unable to continue his service and was honorably discharged. On March 4, 1865, Colonel Franklin was again promoted, receiving the title of lieutenant-colonel. He was mustered out June 28, 1865, at the close of the war, and returned to his home and his bride in Townshend.

During a furlough, on January 26, 1862, he married Miss. Stella R. Pratt of Townshend, the ceremony being performed at the Congregational Church in the evening. He returned the next morning to his company, which was then stationed at Brattleboro. Cpl. and Mrs. Franklin began housekeeping on the Franklin Farm. moving to the house in Harmonyville which he has since owned some 25 years ago.

Throughout his life Colonel Franklin was one of the honored and esteemed men in the community. He served in both branches of the legislature, as senator in 1878, and as representative from Townshend in 1900, and from Newfane in 1874, 1876, and 1884.

From his early days he was interested in co-operative and modernized methods of farming. He was a loyal member of the Grange, and for several years gave lectures throughout the state in the interests of that organization. He was for several years master of the State Grange, and was president of the agricultural society, at one time formed in Windham County. He was a charter member of Birchard Post, G. A. R. , and was largely instrumental in founding the Post, which was organized in November 1883. He was afterward department commander of Vermont for a term. Mr. Franklin was a man of unusually erect and soldierly carriage, with a dignity which will grace any high position.

He was a musician of no small talent and was in great demand as a vocal soloist in his younger day. After the death of his wife, April 17, 1918, Colonel Franklin went to California to live with his only living son, Harry Franklin. of Glendora. He and his son recently bought a ranch at Santa Cruz, where they have lived the past four months. Besides his son. and family he leaves one sister, Mrs. Jennie M. Hichborn of Washington. D. C. Another son, Almon died at the age of 10 years. A nephew, Arthur G. Franklin, to whom he gave a father's care after the death of his brother, Orlando Franklin, 1876, and a cousin, H. F. Franklin, also a veteran are the nearest relatives living in town.

On Jan. 26, 1921, a golden wedding anniversary was arranged for Colonel and Mrs. Franklin at the Masonic Hall by members of Birchard Post and Relief Corps, which was attended by a large number of friends.

Brattleboro Reformer, October 12, 1921

The body of Col. Alvin B. Franklin, who died Oct. 2, at the home of his son, in Santa Cruz, Cal. arrived here Wednesday, and funeral services were held at the Congregational Church Thursday morning at 10:30. Rev. C. N. Bishop officiated in absence of the Congregational pastor. Mr. Bishop also gave two vocal solos. The bearers were W. A. Eddy, F. T. Randall, W. E. Bruce, and C. S, Mills. Seven comrades of Birchard Post G. A. R. were seated in a body. The Grand Army service was conducted by the veterans, at the cemetery. Among the floral tributes was a wreath from Birchard Post, and a spray of flowers from Birchard Relief Corps. The burial was in the family lot at Oakwood Cemetery.

Brattleboro Daily Reformer, October 19, 1921
Courtesy of Deanna French.