Site Logo
Home Page | Cemeteries | Battles | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Fraser, James C.


Age: 27, credited to Dorset, VT
Unit(s): 1st VT CAV
Service: enl 9/28/61, m/i 11/19/61, CPL, Co. G, 1st VT CAV, reen 12/30/63, red, pow, Middletown, 5/24/62, prld 9/13/62, m/o 9/26/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: abt 1834, Chicopee, MA
Death: 03/07/1897

Burial: Morningside Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 6/25/1880; widow Rhoda E., 4/15/1897, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Morningside Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.



James C. Fraser, 63, died at 5 Canal street Saturday night of a complication of diseases. He was born in Chicopee, Mass., in May, 1834, and lived there 15 years, during which time his father died. He then went to East Dorset, this state, where he became connected with the East Dorset marble quarries. In 1859 he married Miss Rhoda E. Brophy, and ten years afterward moved to Londonderry, where he carried on a farm. In March, 1890, he came to Brattleboro, and has since lived on Frost and Canal streets, and has had no particular business. His last illness was of about three months' duration, although he had been in ill health for two years or over. Funeral services were held at the house Monday afternoon, Rev. A. J. Hough officiating. The body was taken to Londonderry for burial. Mr. Fraser leaves a widow and four children, Edward A., of Worcester, Mass., D. H., of Middletown, Conn., and Jennie M. And Alton H. Of Brattleboro. The latter is employed in the Boston & Maine freight office. Mr. Fraser enlisted in the army in September, 1861, and served for three years in Company G of the 1st Vermont Cavalry. At the end of that time he was wounded in the back of the head by the explosion of a shell and was taken prisoner. He spent four months in a rebel prison on Bell Island, Va., and was confined in a hospital for the next seven months when he was discharged.

Source: Vermont Phoenix, March 12, 1897.
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.