Vermont Flag Site Logo

Individual Record

Martin, Charles S.

Age: 23, credited to Rochester, VT
Unit(s): 4th VT INF
Service: enl 9/2/61, m/i 9/21/61, PVT, Co. E, 4th VT INF, pr CPL, pr SGT 2/22/64, wdd, Wilderness, 5/5/64 (gsw, right thigh), m/o 9/30/64

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

Birth: 04/13/1838, Rochester, VT
Death: 01/02/1925

Burial: Woodlawn Cemetery, Rochester, VT
Marker/Plot: None
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Debbie Glogover/Joe Schenkman
Findagrave Memorial #: 37823109
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Unknown
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: First photo (Martin stone) shows date of birth; 2nd (Wing (his wife's family)) stone, shows date of death.

3rd Great Granduncle of Stephanie Johnson-Jost, Palo Alto, CA

3rd Great Granduncle of Wesley P. Ives, Dummerston, VT

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

Copyright notice


Woodlawn Cemetery, Rochester, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.

Charles S. Martin

Brave soldier of the Union and Beloved Citizen of the Town

Charles S. Martin, son of Daniel K. and Tryphenia Hodgkins Martin, was born in Rochester, Vt., April 13, 1838. He was the seventh child in a family of eleven. In early years he attended the old district school in Rochester, and later in Hancock, where his parents temporarily moved.

In1860 came the war. On Sept. 2 of that year he enlisted in Co. E. 4th Regiment Infantry, Vermont Volunteers. Here he became sergeant and rose to the rank of first lieutenant. He saw considerable service throughout the war, taking part in such battles at Gettysburg, Antietam, the Wilderness. One day while bearing the colors he was severely wounded in the hip by a minnie ball and lay exposed for seven days before being found and taken to a hospital.

In 1870, Charles moved to Illinois, county of Henry, and took up farming. Here on Jan. 1 1872, he married Mary Wing of Rochester. About a year later his wife died and was brought to this town for burial. After settling his business affairs in the West, Mr. Martin came East and made his residence in the very house where he since lived and died.

During the fifty years that followed, "Uncle Charlie", as he came to be known by all, lived a quiet life best expressed in the lines of the poet.

"Far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife
His sober wishes never learned to stray;
Along the cool sequestered vale of life
He kept the even tenor of his way."

Aside from a love of travel which took him to the South for three winters and to California for two more. And his continued regard for the Grand Army of the Republic , his attachments were mainly local. He was deeply interested in the Congregational church: he took delight in the town band and gave generously to it's support; for many years he was one of the cemetery commissioners, holding that office at the time of his death.

Uncle Charlie was a man of warm and lasting friendships, in which the young people came in for a large share; he did like to see them have a good time. No finer example of a life that was kind, sober, industrious and loyal to his friends can be pointed out.

The end came at 11:20 a.m., Friday, Jan. 2nd. Uncle Charlie had stepped across the way to se his neighbor, Mrs. Brown. On going up the steps he suddenly felt ill and lying down on the sofa inside, though help was immediately summoned, within ten minutes passed peacefully away.

He is survived by one brother, George Martin of Gaysville; by many nephews and nieces and by three members of the G A. R., Alfred Swinyer, Martin Whitney, and John Wyman.

Since the World war, Uncle Charlie had been a strong supporter of the Legion and had substantially aided the local Post in a number of ways. The depth of his interest was made manifest by a desire more than once expressed, "Boys, when I am gone take care of me."

At the request of relatives this wish for a military funeral was carried out, Chaplin Riley Bostwick and Rev. H. M. Hayward officiating. As the coffin sank slowly to its resting place, three rifle volleys rang out, in the distance sounded taps, and under the winter's sun amid the drooping flags and the respectful silence of veterans, friends, and mourners, another comrade had gone to report to the Greatest Commander of all.

Undated obituary, Contributed by Wes Ives.


Postwar photograph of
C. S. Martin, St. Augustine, FL

(Contributed by Wes Ives)