Martin, Michael F.
Age: 37, credited to Jericho, VT
Unit(s): 7th VT INF
Service: enl 12/5/61, m/i 2/12/62, Pvt, Co. A, 7th VT INF, m/o 10/10/62
See Legend for expansion of abbreviationsVITALS
Birth: 1821, St. Lawrence, NY
Burial: Pleasant View Cemetery, Jericho, VT
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Kathy Valloch
Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)
Alias?: None noted
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)
(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)
Pleasant View Cemetery, Jericho, VT
Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.
Michael F. Martin was b. June 7, 1821, at Elmira, N. Y., and came to Richmond, Vt., about 1845, soon after removing to Jericho Village where he resided till his death, Feb. 10, 1893. He m. Lucretia L., the dau. of Luther and Hephzibah Prouty, of Jericho, in 1853. She was b. in 1829, d. 1856, and was buried at Jericho. He m. 2 Sarah Taber Moore at Jericho about 1857. She was b. April 2, 1838, at Stanbridge, Canada, and d. in 1914. They had ten children.
(1) Eliza, b. Dec. 1858, who m. Charles Perry, Aug. 5, 1883, and lives in St. Albans. They had five children : Sarah Martin, Horace Stevens, Ethel Mary, Clayton and Elizabeth F.
(2) Van Buren, b. 1860, lives in Chicago, Ill. He m. Emma Lang, May 15, 1900, and they had three children : Carl, Lester, and Beulah.
(3) Libbie, b. 1861, m. Frank E. Bowden April 22, 1891 and lives at Swampscott, Mass.
(4) Beulah, b. 1863, m. George W. Potter, Nov. 16, 1892, and lives in Chicago, Ill.
(5) Bessie A., b. 1865, m. Bert L. Perkins April 1, 1891, and lives in Ogunquit, Me.
(6) Jennie A., b. in 1867, lives in Jericho.
(7) Edward G., b. in 1869, lives in Jericho.
(8) Kittie M., b. 1871, m. Henry W. Weare Nov. 15, 1895, and they had two children : George D. and Joseph S. They live in Ogunquit, Me.
(9) Ella, b. in 1876, m. Harry C. North April 28, 1897. They had one child, Clifford C. They live in Malden, Mass.
(10) Chloe, b. 1878, m. Louis C. Gerke May 3, 1907, and they have three children : Carl M., Sarah Ruth, and Edward G., and live in Malden, Mass.
The children of Michael F. and Sarah (Taber) Martin were all b. in Jericho, Vt. Michael F. entered the military service in the War of the Rebellion, enlisting at Jericho at the age of 37, Dec. 5, 1861, in Co A, Seventh Regiment of Vt. Vols. He served in Louisiana where that regiment was located and was discharged Oct. 10, 1862. Her returned from the service broken in health and was granted a pension. He was a mechanic and skillful in repairing all kinds of farming implements, a business to which he devoted his life. He was an active business man and of a kind disposition.
Chauncey H. Hayden, et al, , The History of Jericho Vermont The Free Press Printing Co., Printers and Binders, Burlington, Vt., 1916), p. 568-569.
Contributed by Peter Flood