Vermont Flag Site Logo

Munger, William T.


Age: 19, credited to Orwell, VT
Unit(s): 11th VT INF
Service: enl 12/5/63, m/i 12/10/63, Pvt, Co. B, 11th VT INF, m/o 8/25/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: abt 1844, Orwell, VT
Death: 09/30/1895

Burial: Lake View Cemetery, Orwell, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Alan Lathrop

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

Webmaster's Note: The 11th Vermont Infantry was also known as the 1st Vermont Heavy Artillery; the names were used interchangably for most of its career


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Lakeview Cemetery, Orwell, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Born in the quiet, rural village of Orwell, Vermont on December 23, 1844, William T. Monger lead an inconspicuous and unremarkable life.[1] Even being involved in America's bloody Civil War did not alter the rhythm of his placid existence in and out of the undisturbed hamlet in the Green Mountains. His parents were Alvah Munger (1811-1876) and Rebecca Martindale (1816-1857).[2] William had nine brothers and sisters: Mary, 1840; Charles, 1842; Alonzo, 1847; Anson, 1848; Nathan, 1850; Rollin, 1850; DeForest, 1854; John, 1856; and Rachel, 1857.[3]

When William was born in 1844, his parents were living in Orwell. William was six at the time of the 1850 Census. Alva was supporting the family doing manual labor. Rebecca was caring for the house and her brood of seven children.[4] By 1860, DeForest, John and Rachel had been added to the Monger family. Rachel was born in 1857, the same year William's mother, Rebecca, died. William had turned thirteen by then. At sixteen in 1860, he was earning an income by doing farm work. His father, widowed by then, was a ship's carpenter.[5]

By the time William took the step to enter a larger world than Orwell, Vermont, the patriotic fervor that swept the nation following the fall of Fort Sumter had diminished greatly with the realization that the war was not going to be over in nine months. But a new kind of motivation to participate in the sanguinary affair took its place - a compelling aversion to being drafted which, among the populace of the country, would have been viewed as cowardly and disgraceful. In addition, the Federal and State govern- ments were having substantial trouble getting eligible aged men to volunteer for service especially in light of the increasingly longer casualty lists being published by the local newspapers. Money became the new incentive to enlist as towns, states and the federal government offered burgeoning bounties for the assistance of eighteen to forty-five year olds.

On the fifth day of December, 1863 in Orwell, William stepped up in front of the Selectmen of the town and made his mark on the enlistment papers. Apparently the nineteen year old had been too busy all his years earning wages, which undoubtedly went to support his brothers and sisters and his widowed father, to attend school and learn how to read and write. William stood an average five feet eight inches tall. His eyes were an unusual grey. His brown hair was common. He had a light complexion despite working on a farm.[6] Five days after he enlisted, William reported to Brattleboro, Vermont to be mustered-in. He received $25 bounty with $242 due him at a later time (probably at discharge) and was given an additional $35 paid from the commutation fund.[7]

The regiment, to which William was a member, was originally mustered-in as the Eleventh Vermont Volunteer Infantry in September, 1862. In mid-December of that year, it was re-designated as the First Heavy Artillery. Unfortunately, official and personal records used both designations which has caused great confusion.

The Eleventh Regiment was the largest Vermont regiment sent to the war, both in original membership and in total enrollment. It was recruited as an infantry regiment at the same time as the Tenth, under the call of July 2, 1862 from President Lincoln for 300,000 volunteers. By the middle of August, ten companies had been organized. The Regiment rendezvoused at Camp Bradley in Brattleboro, Vermont where they were mustered into the U.S. service September 1, 1862 for three years. It left the State on September 7 for Washington, D.C. where it arrived on the ninth and was immediately assigned to duty in the chain of forts constituting the northern defenses of the capital. By order of the Secretary of War, dated December 10, 1862, it was made a heavy artillery unit becoming re-designated as the First Heavy Artillery.

The Eleventh remained in the defenses of Washington, D.C. for a period of eighteen months, during which time it was chiefly employed strengthening the works, constructing and garrisoning Forts Stevens, Slocum and Totten. During the latter part of its artillery service at Washington, the Regiment garrisoned four other forts and occupied a line of about seven miles. It experienced little of the real hardships of war during 1863 and the first months of 1864. It had comfortable quarters, the men enjoyed excellent health and rations - even luxuries were abundant for a price. It maintained an excellent state of discipline typical of Vermont troops, and was rated the best disciplined regiment in the defense of the capital. After the terrible Federal losses at the Battle of the Wilderness, the Eleventh was ordered to join the Army of the Potomac. It reported for duty as infantry near Spotsylvania Court House with nearly 1,500 men.

During the severe Overland Campaign that followed, the Regiment participated in every major engagement of the Sixth Corps from May 1864 to April 1865: Spotsylvania; Cold Harbor; Petersburg; Welden railroad; Fort Stevens; Charlestown; Gilbert's ford; Opequan; Fisher's Hill; Cedar Creek; Petersburg siege. In the debacle at Welden railroad, June 23, 1864, the Regiment suffered the greatest loss sustained by any Vermont Regiment in a single action. It lost nine killed, thirty-one wounded and two hundred sixty-one captured. All the captives were sent to Andersonville prison where two hundred thirty-two of them died.

Original members, recruits for one year and recruits whose term of service expired before October 1, 1865, were mustered-out on June 24, 1865. The remainder of the Regiment was consolidated into one battalion of heavy artillery and stationed in the defenses of Washington until mustered-out on August 25, 1865. The original members of the Eleventh numbered 1,315. Recruits and transfers amounted to an additional 1,005. The total rank and file was 2,320. Of that number, 152 were killed in action; 210 died of disease; 457 were wounded; 339 where captured; 2 died by accident.[8]

For January through April of 1864, Private Monger was reported as present for duty. On May 14, 1864, he was admitted to the U.S. General Hospital sick.[9] On May 24, he was sent from the field to the First Division General Hospital in Alexandria, Virginia with "debility".[10] Debility in the 1860's was defined as "...lack of movement or staying in bed."[11] William was treated with sulphur and wine. June 2, 1864, Private Monger was transferred to "N York" for further treatment.[12] Later in June, 1864, he was sent to the military hospital at Brattleboro, Vermont for recovery. While there in May/June, he was listed on the hospital muster roll as being on furlough.[13] By July/August of 1864, Private Monger was healthy enough to be back with his regiment. He was well enough to do business with the regimental sutler, F. Evans, whom William owed $8.[14] During the next two months, his debt to Evans increased by $4 more.[15] Company Muster Rolls for January to June, 1865 show Private Monger present for duty.

After Petersburg fell, the First Vermont Heavy Artillery was sent back to the defenses ringing Washington, D.C. June 24, 1865 the original veteran members of the First were mustered-out. Private Monger was not one of them. Since he was considered a replace- ment in the Regiment, he, along with others like him, got to stay in the army a little while longer. Private Monger was transferred to "Batt 1 Vt Art'y by authority of the Sec. of War" while his comrades who were given veteran status went home.[16] William and the rest of the Regiment eventually were discharged on August 25, 1865 at Washington. He owed the Government $27.86 for clothing. However, the Government owed him $300. He was given $180 of that on his discharge and owed the remainding $120.[17]

William, a twenty-one year old ex-soldier, returned home to Vermont to pick up his civilian life. It wasn't long before his status as a bachelor changed. He married Julia E. Munger in Orwell, Vermont on September 27, 1865.[18] He and Julia were still living in Orwell in 1870. William was a farm laborer again, the only thing he seemed to know how to do.[19] Based on Julia's Federal Census records, she and William as a couple continued to live in Orwell during the 1880's and 1890's. During that time span, she and William had three children but none of them survived.[20] William's passing came unexpectedly in 1895. At fifty-one, he died in Orwell.[21]

His widow, Julia, lived for another forty-five years alone in Orwell, never remarrying. In 1900 she was supporting herself and living in Orwell. By 1910, she owned her own home free and clear and lived off her own income. Julia lived on Mountain Road in Orwell in the 1920's. She owned her home which was valued at $1,000 in 1930. At the time, she had no radio in the home and her property was not a farm.[22]

When Julia died on January 28, 1937, it was not in her Orwell home. She had apparently suffered ill health and had a crippling incident sometime around 1934. At that time, one John J. Conley, from Middlebury, was appointed her legal guardian and she was housed at the Vermont State Hospital in Waterbury, Vermont. It was there where she most likely died of "chronic myocarditis acute dilitation of heart". She was ninety years old.[23]

1. Headstone for Wm T. Monger, Lakeview Cemetery, Orwell, VT;, Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908 for William Munger.
2., Family Trees (Georgia To Florida Joiners and SN Briggs); Ibid., Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908 for William T. Munger; Ibid., 1850 U.S. Federal Census under William Munger.
3. Ibid., Family Trees (Georgia To Florida Joiners and SN Briggs); Ibid., 1850 and 1860 U.S. Federal Census under William Munger and Wm Munger.
4. Ibid., 1850 U.S. Federal Census under William Manger.
5. Ibid., 1860 U.S. Federal Census under Wm Munger.
6., Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Union Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Vermont, pp. 3 and 21, images 309684983 and 309658041. Hereinafter referred to as Compiled Service Records....
7. Ibid., Compiled Service Records..., pp. 4-5, images 309684986 and 309684990.
8. Vermont in the Civil War/Units/1st Brigade/Eleventh Vermont Infantry and https// Vermont Infantry.
9., Compiled Service Records..., p. 9, image 309685004.v 10. Ibid., Compiled Service Records..., pp. 23-24, images 309685048 and 309685052.
11. - Old Disease Names Frequently Found On Death Certificates.v 12. Op cit. Compiled Service Records..., pp. 24-25, images 309685048 and 309685052.
13. Op cit, Compiled Service Records..., p. 10, image 309685004.
14. Op cit., Compiled Service Records..., p. 11, image 309685011.
15. Op cit., Compiled Service Records..., p.13, image 309685017.
16. Op cit., Compiled Service Records..., p. 18, image 309685032.
17. Op cit., Compiled Service Records..., p. 19, image 309685035.
18., Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908 for William T. Munger.
19. Ibid., 1870 U.S. Federal Census under William Munger.
20., 1900 and 1910 Federal Census for Julia E. Monger.
21., Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908 for William Munger.
22., 1900 and 1910 Federal Census for Julia E. Monger and, 1920 and 1930 U.S. Federal Census for Julia E. Munger.
23., Vermont, Death Records, 1720-1908 for Julia E. Munger.
Courtesy of Bernie Noble

Previous Page