Site Logo
Soldiers - Units - Battles - Cemeteries - Towns

Peck, Julius C.


Age: 20, credited to Windsor, VT
Unit(s): 1st VT CAV
Service: enl 7/22/64, m/i 7/22/64, Pvt, Co. E, 1st VT CAV, wdd, Columbia Furnace, 10/7/64, pow, Columbia Furnace, 10/7/64, Libby, Prison, Richmond, prld 2/5/65, m/o 6/21/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 04/1844, Grand Detour, IL
Death: 05/02/1870

Burial: Fairmount Cemetery, Wolcott, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Deanna French
Findagrave Memorial #: 115743966


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 8/19/1865; widow Grace L., 9/15/1870; minor, 2/15/1875
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Fairmount Cemetery, Wolcott, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Julius Peck

In Wolcott, May 2d, Julius C. Peck, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. H. S. Peck, aged 26 years.

Julius Peck was born in the town of Grand DeLeur, Ill. When 5 years of age his parents moved to Wolcott, where he lived until he arrived at the age of 17. He then went to Glover to learn the cabinet trade; he remained in that place 3 years. From there he went to Lebanon, N.H., where he worked in a furniture shop one year. He then went to Windsor, and enlisted in the 1st Vt. Cav. Regt, Co. E.. He was wounded near Staunton, Oct. 8, 1864, and taken prisoner, and stripped of everything he possessed, save his Testament, which he begged them to spare him. This he read three times while in prison. He was taken to Libby Prison and there received the most shameful treatment and cruel abuse. He often stated that he ate dry bones to prevent starvation. In the prison he remained six months, and there he took into his system the poison which he has ever since, until his death, caused him so much suffering and distress. Yet patiently and patriotically he bore it all. He was paroled Feb. 1, 1865 and carried to Annapolis, where he received kind treatment. There he remained two months until able to return home. After visiting his friends he went to the hospital in Montpelier and remained until he received his discharge.

At the age of 22, he experienced religion in Lebanon, and united with the Methodist Class; and here I would remark that Grace L. Ticknor, whom he after words married, experienced religion and was baptized and and united with the Methodists at the same time. Aug. 1st, '66 he led to the altar his bride, and was united in the bonds of matrimony They came to Wolcott and remained one year. During that time he joined the Masonic Lodge of Morrisville, and during his long and protracted sickness he had been a recipient of many favors from his brother Masons;and it was invariably with an expression of gratitude he received each act of kindness.

He was also a member of the Lodge of Odd Fellows in Lebanon, and from their hands he received the kindest of attention and much assistance in a pecuniary way. He was also a member of the Good Templars, and ever proved faithful to his pledge- one among the faithful few.

For the past three years he spent most of the time in Lebanon, and the remainder at his home in Wolcott. Three months ago he wrote to his parents to meet him at Montpelier for he was " coming home to die". He was brought home on a bed, and was unable to be dressed afterwords. His sufferings and afflictions no tongue can tell, and yet patiently and without complaining he bore it all- a martyr to his country. For in God was his trust, and in Heaven his resting-place.

He has left a wife and daughter, also a large circle of relatives and friends who mourn not as those without hope.

The funeral services were held on Wednesday at the Cong. Church, and were under the Masonic Order. Rev A. Hutchins preached the funeral discourse, assisted by Rev. Herrick, after which a large procession followed the remains to their last resting-place.

" How sweet the scene when Christians die, When sinks a weary soul to rest" A. J**** (sic)

Source: Lamoille County NewsDealer: May 10, 1870

Submitted by Deanna French.