Vermont Flag Site Logo

Pratt, Richard Morton


Age: 22, credited to Newfane, VT
Unit(s): 2nd VT INF
Service: enl 5/1/61, m/i 6/20/61, Pvt, Co. C, 2nd VT INF, wdd, Bull Run, 7/21/61 (arm/amp.), pow, Bull Run, 7/21/61, prld 10/5/61, dis/wds, 11/1/61

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 12/06/1838, Newfane, VT
Death: 09/30/1897

Burial: Williamsville Cemetery, Newfane, VT
Marker/Plot: Old Cemetery
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 116751512


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, application date
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Williamsville Cemetery, Newfane, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.



DUMMERSTON --- Richard Morton Pratt was born in Newfane Dec. 6, 1838, and died at Dummerston Sept. 30, 1897. His father, Deacon R. P. Pratt died March 30, 1897, age 90 years. His mother, whose maiden name was Millicent Fisher, is still living at the age of 91 years. His common school education was supplemented by a term of school at Monson, Mass., taught by Rev. James Tufts, one at Westminster under instruction of Prof. L. F. Ward, and one in Westfield, Mass.

He enlisted in the war for the Union in May, 1861, was a member of Company C. 2d Vermont regiment, and was severely wounded in the right elbow, early in the first battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1861. In attempting to go to the rear he fainted from fatigue and loss of blood, and not recovering until the battle was lost, he was captured by the victorious Confederates and taken to Libby Prison, where he remained 11 weeks, and then was exchanged with other prisoners. His arm was amputated near the shoulder while he was in prison. He was discharged Nov. 1, 1861, and in company with his comrade, Urban A. Woodbury, afterwards governor of Vermont, and who lost his right arm in the same battle with Mr. Pratt, came home to the Green Mountain State, arriving at Brattleboro as the first two soldiers from the seat of war.

A portion of the winter after their discharge was spent lecturing in various towns in Vermont upon the horrors and suffering of prison life at Richmond. On Mr. Pratt's return to Newfane he was chosen to important places of trust and served several years as lister, constable and town superintendent

In May 4, 1865 he married Laura A. Persons of Newfane, who survives him. He was the manager of his father's farm in Newfane until 1873, when he was appointed by the government Indian agent at the Red Lake reservation in northern Minnesota, where he remained until 1878. After spending a few months at his father's home in Dummerston, he and his wife returned to Minnesota in 1879 and located in Champlin, where Mr. Pratt went into partnership with others in the manufacture of flour, and continued in the business until Oct. 1, 1886, when he moved to Dummerston, and became the manager of his father's farm, in this town.

He was a man of firm Christian character, having joined the Congregational Church when residing in Newfane. He was a very helpful member of the church at Champlin and a strong supporter of the church in Dummerston. Mr. Pratt was a strong muscular man of remarkable strength and power of endurance. He never complained of exposures and misfortunes in life of which he had many. The malady which terminated his life originated, probably, from overexertion, or lifting in the performance of labor with one arm only. Skillful surgeons failed to stay the progress of the disease which caused him great suffering and intense pain many months after treatment in the hospital at New York last December. The end came peacefully and life closed in brilliant sunshine beckoning him from earth to heaven where sorrow and pain are no more. All was done for his comfort that loving hands could do.

The funeral services were held Sunday from the church, Rev, P. F. Barnard officiating. Leavitt Stark, Miss Mary Miller, and sister aided in the service of song. The attendance was large and about 30 veteran soldiers were present, two of whom were members of Mr. Pratts company, and one his teammate in the army. Several members of the Women's Relief Corps were in attendance. The floral tributes were very beautiful.

Source: Vermont Phoenix, Oct. 8, 1897

Courtesy of Deanna French.

Previous Page