Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Pray, Rufus M.


Age: 21, credited to Calais, VT
Unit(s): 3rd VT INF, Littleton NH Volunteers
Service: enl, Littleton, NH, 4/24/61, supposed tr to Capt. Joshua Champan's Co., Littleton Volunteers, m/o 6/12/61; enl 7/23/61, m/i 8/23/61, PVT, Co. K, 3rd VT INF, reen 12/31/63, pr SGT, dis/dsb wdd, Wilderness, 5/6/64, wdd, Cedar Creek, 10/19/64, m/o 5/27/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 10/08/1844, Calais, VT
Death: 07/07/1918

Burial: South Woodbury Cemetery, Woodbury, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Denis & Karen Jaquish

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 7/21/1865
Portrait?: VHS Collections
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


South Woodbury Cemetery, Woodbury, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


VHS - Portrait Files (FPO)

Medical Discharges



Disability Discharges with Photographs

See other discharges signed by Dr. Henry Janes at Montpelier with photographs.

Rufus M. Pray

Pray, Rufus M., of South Woodbury, son of Thomas and Polly (King) Pray, was born in Calais, April 8, 1844.

His father's calling was that of a carpenter and joiner, who was a long time resident of the town, in the schools of which Rufus received his education. The latter, a mere lad of seventeen, did not resist the patriotic impulse that moved him to enter the ranks of the Union army, and enlisted in the 2d N. H. Regiment, which for three months garrisoned at old Fort Constitution on the seacoast of that state. On his journey homewards, he stopped at St. Johnsbury, where Co. K, of Calais, 3d Regt. Vt. Vols. were engaged in their daily drill, and such was the enthusiasm of the young volunteer, that he at once re-enlisted without even bidding farewell to the loved ones at home or crossing the paternal threshold. Mr. Pray shared the fortunes of the gallant third in all its numerous engagements from Lewinsville and Lee's Mills, to the bloody battles of the Wilderness, where he was wounded in foot and forehead, and was sent to the S. A. Douglas hospital at Washington, from thence transferred to the U. S. General Hospital at Montpelier, from which he boldly returned to active duty before his wounds were wholly healed. He then experienced the vicissitudes of Sheridan's Shenandoah campaign, and at Cedar Creek, while on the skirmish line, received a dangerous wound in his hip, which was traversed by a minie-ball. He was carried twelve miles in an army wagon to Sheridan Hospital, then sent to Frederick, Md., and later to Montpelier, where he received an honorable discharge after a gallant service of four years, one month and twenty-six days, during which time he was not excused from duty a single hour, except when wounded.

Since his return from the army, though for more than a year a cripple, he has been able to labor a little at his trade of carpenter and joiner, and to cultivate with effort a small farm.

Mr. Pray was married August 8, 1864, to Nellie A., daughter of David and Sabrina (Chase) Whitham of Woodbury. One child has been the fruit of this wedlock: Lillian M. (Mrs. Robert B. Tassie of Montpelier).

Mr. Pray is still a member of that party for whose political principles he fought and bled. He was appointed postmaster at South Woodbury, July 12, 1889, under President Harrison, and held that position till his resignation on being elected to the Legislature of 1892 by an unusual majority. He was town treasurer in 1891-'92.

Source: Jacob G. Ullery, compiler, Men of Vermont: An Illustrated Biographical History of Vermonters and Sons of Vermont, (Transcript Publishing Company, Brattleboro, VT, 1894), Part II, p. 326.


Army Medical Museum Case Histories


South Woodbury
Rufus M. Pray Died at the AGe of 74 Years.

Rufus M. Pray died Sunday afternoon at the home of his daughter, Mrs. R. D. Tassie. He was 74 year4s of age and was born in Calais, although the greater part of his life was spend in Woodbury. He leaves, besides his daughter, three grandchildren and several sisters. He was a member of the G. A. R. and of Green Mountain lodge, No. 68, F. and A. M. The funeral will be held at the home of Mrs. Tassie Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Mrs. Ewen of Barre officiating.

Source: The Barre Daily Times, 9 Jul 1918.
Transcribed by Tom Ledoux