Vermont Flag Site Logo

Pringle, Alexander Bullions


Age: 29, credited to Ryegate, VT
Unit(s): 11th VT INF
Service: enl 8/9/62, m/i 9/1/62, Pvt, Co. A, 11th VT INF, m/o 5/13/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 1833, Ryegate, VT
Death: 1922

Burial: Blue Mountain Cemetery, Ryegate, VT
Marker/Plot: 6
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Carolyn Adams
Findagrave Memorial #: 121712616


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, application date, 3/26/1880
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

Webmaster's Note: The 11th Vermont Infantry was also known as the 1st Vermont Heavy Artillery; the names were used interchangably for most of its career


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Blue Mountain Cemetery, Ryegate, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.



Alexander Bullions Pringle was born in the parsonage of the United Presbyterian Church in Ryegate, May 15, 1833, and died in Boston, Mass. Dec. 11, thus coming within about five months of being 90. The son of the minister, whose mother died when he was only a boy, young Alexander was sent to his grandfather, the Rev. Alexander Bullions, D. D., of Cambridge, New York, for education in the famous Cambridge Academy. Connected by kinship with a group of distinguished professional men, descended from no less than eight Scottish devine, most of them influential, and some of gentle birth, he was destined for the ministry; but severe study in poor light injured his eyes, and he found his taste running to out-door occupations. He was glad, therefore, to join his father, Rev. William Pringle, of the operation of a farm near the Connecticut River south of East Ryegate, and continued on it after his father's death in 1875, when because damage wrought on by the great freshet of the early seventies, it seemed necessary to remove. During these years of general farming, Mr. Pringle had become very skilfull in market gardening, to which he now turned his attention, producing for markets in several different towns, finally making his home in St. Johnsbury Center while at the Laird farm, and dwelling there from 1891 to 1920.

Mr. Pringle married September 3, 1857, Julia Ann Laughlin, who bore him five children, for of whom survive. Mrs. Pringle died in Bangor, Me., February 23, 1921, and Mr. Pringle had lived there with his daughter until a few weeks ago, where they came to Boston for the winter. His sons are, William Alexander, Superintendent of the American Sale Books Company at Niagara Falls, New York, Rev. Henry Nelson, for ten years with the International Reform Bureau in Washington, soon to become superintendent of the New York Society for Crime Prevention, and James Nelson, Deputy Commissioner of Education for New Hampshire, with home in Concord. His daughter, Florence Eleanor, is the wife of Rev. Charles Frederick Robinson, There are several grandchildren

Mr. Pringle was for a time in his early life constable and collector for Ryegate, and deputy sheriff of Caledonia County.

On August 8, 1862, he enlisted in Co. A., 11th Vermont Volunteers, which on arrival in Washington was enlarged and trained as the 1st Vermont Heavy Artillery, and stationed in forts around the city. Mr. Pringle was promoted to the rank of Gunner, but was taken severely ill with typhoid, which incapacitated him for further service in the field, and was the basis for a pension of disability. During his illness, his wife came to Washington and served several months in the hospital. After his recovery, he was Postmaster and Commissary of the hospital at Brattleboro until he mustered out May 21, 1865. He was, at his death, the oldest member of Chamberlin Post G.A.R.

He was a great church worker. While at Ryegate he was elder and Sunday School Superintendent in the United Presbyterian Church. He was a deacon and clerk of the St. Johnsbury Congregational Church for about twenty years.

His health has been excellent for one his age, deprived of the full pleasure of conversation by extreme deafness, he had enjoyed reading many historical and biographical works, especially delighting in Civil War literature, in which he exceptionally well posted. The great event of each week, however, was the arrival of the Weekly Republican.

His illness was painful, short, enduring only fifty hours. His funeral and burial were in Ryegate, in the lot where the bodies of his wife and infant daughter. Three of his children were present at his death and burial.

Source: St. Johnsbury Caledonian-Record, Dec. 18, 1922
Courtesy of Deanna French

Previous Page