Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Ransom, Albert Rosson Smith


Age: 18, credited to Topsham, VT
Unit(s): 3rd VT LARTY
Service: enl 8/18/64, m/i 9/2/64, PVT, 3rd VT LARTY BTRY, m/o 6/15/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 12/23/1845, Topsham, VT
Death: 02/08/1931

Burial: Passumpsic Village Cemetery, Waterford, VT
Marker/Plot: 4
Gravestone photographer: Denis & Karen Jaquish
Findagrave Memorial #: 113392076


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 6/22/1880; widow Addie, 3/23/1931, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Passumpsic Village Cemetery, Waterford, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


"Bert" Ransom

Albert Rosson Smith Ransom, son of Parley and Olive Wood Ransom was born at Topsham, Vermont, on Dec. 28, 1845. While Albert was still a small child his father died. He lived in Topsham during his school days. On the eighth day after his eighteenth birthday he was mustered into the United States service as a member of the Third Vermont Volunteers Battery of light Artillery, which was commanded by Captain Romeo H. Start of St. Albans, who had already served nearly two years in the old Vermont Brigade in the Third Regiment Vermont Volunteer Infantry. All the commissioned officers except one were experienced soldiers who had served in Vermont regiments which had entered the service earlier. With 151 officers and men the Third Battery left Burlington on Jan. 15, 1864. They were stationed near Washington through the winter. In the spring they went into the Wilderness campaign which opened Grant's "Hammering Campaign," crossing the Rapidan on May 6, 1864. In the Wilderness 1000 Vermonters were killed or wounded in one day and 200 the next day. One half of the fighting men were killed or disabled on these two days.

The Third Battery was in the fighting through the long campaign that ended with the surrender of the Confederate army of Virginia at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865. The Third Battery was mustered out of the service at Burlington on June 13, 1865. During its term of service 250 men in all served in the battery. Of these 21 gave their lives. The organization saw much active service especially about Petersburg where it took part in four major engagements, the last one on April 2, 1865, the day before the surrender of Petersburg.

After his discharge from the United States service, Mr. Ransom returned to Topsham. On April 19, 1866, at the home of Ephraim Weed in Stannard, Vt., he was united in marriage with Adaline Randall, daughter of Daniel and Eliza Hood Randall of Topsham, with whom he shared 65 years of married life. Five children were born to this union, the eldest daughter dying in infancy. The others were: Harley Eugene, who died in Manchester, N. H., Feb. 8, 1925; Minnie J., wife of Henry E. Stevens of St. Johnsbury; Vertis A., of Manchester, N. H.; Izora S., Mrs. Barnett, of Passumpsic; They lived in Topsham for a few years, then settling in Stannard where they lived for many years and where Mr. Ransom was active in local public matters and served for a time as postmaster. He was a substantial citizen.

They later moved to Greensboro Bend where for several years Mr. Ransom bought live stock for Hon. W. A. Ricker of St. Johnsbury. He later moved to Passumpsic where he bought a farm on which he lived for three years after which he lived in Passumpsic village till his death on Feb. 8, 1931, at the age of 85 years, one month and 16 days. At Passumpsic he had continued to buy live stock for Mr. Ricker till his health made it necessary to give up active work. Besides his widow, he leaves the three children named above, several grandchildren and many friends to mourn his passing.

Funeral services were held at the Barnett-Ransom home on Feb. 10. Rev. C. W. Turner, the local pastor, officiated. Ernest F. Skinner sang two songs: "Crossing the Bar" "Sunrise With the Master." He was accompanied at the piano by Mrs. Ayer. The music was beautifully rendered. The many beautiful flowers were a touching mark of respect and love for the one who has passed over. Many relatives and friends attended. Among those from out of town were: Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Stevens and son, Earl, Mr. and Mrs. D. F. McLean, Mr. and Mrs. John Johnson and Mr. and Mrs. Homer Johnson of St. Johnsbury; V. A. Ransom of Manchester, N. H.; Mr. and Mrs. John D. Barnett of Walden; C. W. Shattuck of Waterbury; Gifford E. Owen of East Barre; Mr. and Mrs. Ernest W. Garfield of Stannard.

The bearers were: John Silver and Wesley R. Cole of Greensboro Bend, Herman Holbrook of Hardwick and William H. Gero of St. Johnsbury, all old friends of the deceased. Burial was in the village cemetery at Passumpsic, with the military service by the W. R. Knapp Post, No. 58, American Legion, of St. Johnsbury.

The writer has been privileged to know Mr. Hansom as a kind friend for forty years, and feels a distinct personal loss. To the loss of a friend and good citizen in addition the thought that another of those who served for us in the Civil War has gone to his reward. As each of the few of them who still survive goes on, we are pointedly reminded of the love and respect which we owe to those who have gone as well as to those who remain with us. Mr. Ransom was a kind neighbor who was sympathetic and helpful in a practical way, as was Mrs. Ransom, in cases of distress and sickness that appeared about them from time to time. In the old days when Mr. and Mrs. Ransom were in active good health, and before the coming of the trained nurses, this meant much. Their genial and earnest helpfulness will not soon be forgotten by those among whom they lived. To Mrs. Ransom, who is now ill the respect and sympathy of all are extended. The family may well feel that their loss is a public loss also.

Source: St. Johnsbury Caledonian-Record, February 26, 1931.
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.