Hall, Elmore John
Age: 28, credited to Highgate, VTVITALS
Birth: 02/23/1834, Burnsville, PQ, CanadaADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Alias?: None notedDESCENDANTS
Riverside Cemetery, Morrisville, VT
Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.
DEATH OF DR. E .J. HALL
In the death of Dr. Elmore John Hall, which occurred at his home on Park Street at almost half past seven last Saturday evening, there is removed from from this community one of the most familiar figures, a successful doctor, a kind and benevolent Christian gentleman, and intensely loyal and public spirited citizen. Few men would be more missed from our streets or the town at large. Modest to a degree of approaching diffidence, he did much for the relief and aid of the needy poor, and for public projects that will never be fully known, and certainly was never done for show, by the doer. For thirty-six years he has gone about in weather, fair or foul, hours early or late, faithfully fulfilling the many duties of a practicing physician.
Starting at the very bottom, and in very pressed circumstances, he held to the duty of his calling until fortune changed, and he lived to enjoy the pleasent home and other fruits of his labor. He was born in Beamsville, Ontario, Feb. 28, 1834, the son of the late Rev, J. P. Hall. When six years old his family moved to Waterbury and when he was 12 years of age they moved to this town. His education was received at Morrisville Academy, and in Castleton, and he taught school in this town, Stowe and Bristol. He studied medicine with the late Dr. H. Powers, and graduated from the medical department at Burlington College, and subsequently took post graduate courses in Burlington and in New York, always keeping closely in touch with the latest in his profession. Thirty- eight years ago he married his wife who survives him, then Miss Ophelia Titus, and commenced his practice in Waterbury Center. He later moved to Highgate, where he practiced, and in August 1862 he enlisted in his country"s service at St. Albans, being enrolled a member and private in Co.I, 1st Vt. Cavalry; was promoted to the rank of Assistant Surgeon, Jan. 1, 1863, and did efficient service until his discharge by reason of resignation, Sept. 16, 1864. He returned to Highgate and, in 1866 commenced his practice of medicine in Morrisville in company with Dr. Powers.
In his last sickness he was first attacked by his old enemy, a relic of his army service, malarial poisoning, coupled with facial epysipelas, and other serious disabilities, together with a worn out condition following a very hard winters 'work.His last call was made but one week and one day before his death.In our local life Dr. Hall has always been a silent but very interested participant.He was always intensely interested in the welfare of Morrisville Academy of which institution he had long been a Trustee. He had served as U.S. pension examiner, was one of the Pleasant View Cemetery commissioners, a member of the Congregational Church, and a member of Post James M. Warner no.4.
A few years since he and Arthur L. Cheney became interested in the drug business, having bought the Woodward store, and later the doctor's enthusiasm and desire for the improvement was largely responsible for the development of plans that made possible the present corner block in which the drug business is located.He was particularly interested and active in the purchase of the Tinker property, by the syndicate, and had fond hopes for the future of his considerable amount of land recently bought beyond the Boynton place on the right.
Besides his bereaved wife, the deceased is survived by an adopted daughter, the wife of Delmer E. Croft, and a sister C.M. Boynton. Yesterday the remains of the deceased were viewed by a large number from 12 to 2 p.m., at his late home. At the latter hour the funeral services were held, the local pastors participating in the service and members of Post Warner attending in a body. A solo was rendered by Mrs. Fisk, and selections by a quartette composed of Mrs. Fisk, Mrs Ila Niles,, Messrs Fleetwood and Gates.The bearers were Doctors Holbrook, Rublee, and Page of Morrisville, and Slayton of Hyde Park, Capt. Frank Kenfield and G.A. Cheney representing the Grand Army . The interment was in the old cemetery, where the family lot is, just across Richmond Street from the house. The business places were all closed during the services.
Morrisville News and Citizen: May 5, 1897
Courtesy of Deanna French