Vermont Flag Site Logo

Richardson, Silas W.


Age: 21, credited to Stamford, VT
Unit(s): 2nd VT INF, VRC
Service: enl 8/16/62, m/i 9/15/62, Pvt, Co. A, 2nd VT INF, tr to VRC 5/1/64, m/o 7/1/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 04/1842, Stamford, VT
Death: 05/03/1902

Burial: Prospect Hill Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT
Marker/Plot: 510
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Bob Edwards
Findagrave Memorial #: 121600839


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes
Portrait?: Gibson Collection
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Prospect Hill Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

(Gibson Collection)


An application for a pension for Mrs. Elizabeth Richardson of Guilford, mother of Silas W. Richardson of this town, which the Washington authorities had kept pigeonholed for nine or ten years, has at length been resurrected and the pension granted, amounting to $12 a month and $2100 back pay. Of Mr. and Mrs. Richardson's three sons, all went to the war, and the only one of them to return was Silas, who is unable to support his parents in their declining years because of the wounds which he himself received. No more deserving case than this was ever presented to the pension bureau, and yet it probably never would have been granted except for the persistent efforts of friends, supplemented by the work of the Brattleboro agents, Messrs. Haskins and Stoddard, and the kind intervention of Congressman Grout.

Vermont Phoenix, Sept. 17, 1886
Courtesy of Gail Lynde. Gail also says that Mrs. Richardson's obituary, in the Vermont Phoenix of May 5, 1899, tells a bit about the service of the sons.


Silas W. Richardson, 60, died Saturday evening at his home on Oak Street after an illness of 15 days with brain trouble caused by a wound which he received in the war. Mr. Richardson had been in ill health several years in consequence of his wound. He went to New York in November, 1899, and was treated at a hospital, receiving temporary benefit. After the last recurrence of the trouble he improved slightly, but it was known that he could not recover.

Mr. Richardson was born in Stamford, this state, April 20, 1842, and was a son of Jonathan and Elizabeth Richardson. On August 16, 1862, at the age of 20 years, he enlisted in Company A, Second Regiment, Vermont Volunteers, serving three years. He was hit twice by the enemy's bullets in the fight at St. Marye's Heights, May 3, 1863. Charging up the heights with the Vermont Brigade, he encountered a squad of rebels, and in the exchange of shots he was struck and knocked down by a glancing ball. He rallied but was again struck, the ball entering the right side of his face and making its exit behind the ear and near the base of his brain. He was left on the field for dead but was removed soon afterward and recovered after a long struggle between life and death.

He was transferred from the field hospital to the hospital in Brattleboro, and after his recovery, he was detailed by Col. William Austine to work in his office as an orderly. He was transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps, and was mustered out July 1, 1865.

After the war, he came to Brattleboro, where, on March 20, 1866, he married Miss Lydia A. Simonds. He was employed for a long time by the Estey Organ company, being for several years foreman of the iron room, but for the past 12 years, he had served as the town liquor agent. He is survived by a widow and one daughter, Ada, wife of Leslie Scott of New York City. He also leaves a brother, Waldo Richardson of Brattleboro, and a sister, Mrs. Dudley Crosier of Guilford. Mr. Richardson was a member of Sedgwick Post, G. A. R., Columbian lodge of Masons, and of the First Baptist church. He was a good soldier, a faithful and efficient employee and a respected citizen and neighbor, and in his home life kind and affectionate.

The funeral was held at the house at 1:30 o'clock Tuesday, Rev. H. R. Miles officiating. The burial was in Prospect Hill Cemetery, the bearers being W. H. Vinton, E. H. Putnam, and F. F. Gleason, selectmen, and H. E. Taylor, J. P. Elmer and E. R. Thayer.
Vermont Phoenix, May 9, 1902.

Contributed by Thomas St. John

Previous Page