Vermont Flag Site Logo

Individual Record

Webber, Joshua C.

Age: 23, credited to Brattleboro, VT
Unit(s): 2nd VT INF
Service: enl 8/10/61, m/i 10/18/61, Pvt, Co. C, 2nd VT INF, dsrtd 9/24/62

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

Birth: 05/12/1838, Unknown
Death: 07/29/1896

Burial: May be buried in ..., , VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer:

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Unknown
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

Copyright notice
Died in Brattleboro, VT
Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.

Dead in the Hay

The Body of Joshua C. Webber Found in H. R. Brown's Stable Thursday Morning.

The shocking discovery of a man's decomposing body was made early Thursday morning in one of the hay lofts in the stables now occupied by H. R. Brown in the rear of the Brooks House. The peculiar actions of a dog and the odor emanating from the place first aroused suspicion, and when investigation was made, a man's leg was found sticking up through the hay. Dr. Webster, chairman of the board of selectmen, was notified. When the hay was removed the body was found where it had evidently slid forward and downward, head first, from a mow of hay into a partly open space between the hay and the end or partition of the building. Dr, Webster caused the removal of the body to Bond's undertaking rooms, where it was viewed by Drs. Webster, Conland and Pratt, all of whom agreed that there were no indications of death by violence. The features were so far gonein decomposition that recognition was impossible, but from the clothing and other articles found there was no doubt that the body was that of Joshua C. Webber, who had lived in Brattleboro a portion of the time for the past two or three years. Two years ago he worked for Henry Stockwell in West Brattleboro, and last summer for L.D. Thayer. He was seen here last April.

A Central Vermont baggage check was found upon his person, and inquiry at the baggage room at the railroad station showed that the duplicate was there attached to a telescope bag which contained some underclothing and other small articles. The bag had been there since Monday, when Webber probably came to town from the north, as there was among his effects a new silk cap done up in paper from O. D. Gray's, Bellows Falls. There was $2.38 upon his person.

Webber was seen about the streets Monday evening, evidently intoxicated. There is probably no doubt that he entered the stable unnoticed, went through to the rear extension, and up the stairs, where he crawled upon the hay and afterwards slid down as stated.

It is stated by an old comrade that Webber enlisted in August, 1861, as a recruit in Co. C., Second Vermont. He deserted in September, 1862, and was not heard from again by his old comrades until he appeared here two years ago or more. He was familiarly known as "Chief" Webber.

A sister, supposed to be living in Athol, Mass., was notified. The body was placed in the tomb.

A note found in the man's pocket-book or wallet addressed by Henry Bemis to Lewis M. Capen, Charlton City, read: "Will send you this man; met him here in the city. I thought he would make you a good man if you need one." This would indicate that Webber has lately been in Worcester, Mass.

Webber was known locally as "Frank" Webber, but his army comrades say he enlisted as Joshua Chief Webber.

Vermont Phoenix, July 31, 1896

Courtesy of Heidi McColgan