Age: 29, credited to Waterbury, VTVITALS
Birth: 01/24/1832, Waterbury, VTADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Alias?: None notedDESCENDANTS
Hope/Village Cemetery, Waterbury, VT
Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.
Dr. Henry Janes, was born in this town Jan. 24, 1832. He is the son of the late Hon. Henry F. Janes, and on his mother's side, a grandson of Gov. Butler.Abby Maria Hemenway, "Waterbury," Vermont Historical Gazetteer, V(ermont Watchman and State Journal Press, Montpelier, 1882), iv:857
We find the following truthful sketch of Dr. Janes in the "Biographies of the members of the Rocky Medical Association", published in Washington, D.C., 1877:
The Doctor received his academic education at Morrisville and at St. Johnsbury academies, [etc]. His medical studies were commenced in 1852, at Waterbury, under Dr. J.B. Woodward. He attended his first course of medical lectures at Woodstock College, in 1852, and two courses subsequently t the College of Physicians and Surgeons, in New York, where he graduated M.D.,in 1855, and was appointed assistant, and afterwards house physician in Bellevue Hospital, New York City. In 1856 he went into practice at Chelsea, Mass.; in 1857 he returned to Waterbury where he soon acquired a good professional business.
In 1861 he entered the army, Surgeon of the 3d. Vt. Regt; 1863 commissioned Surgeon,U.S. Army; 1865 brevetted Lieut. Col. The greater part of his military service spent in hospital duty; the fall of '62 in charge of a hospital t Burkettsville; in 1863, in the winter, at Frederick, Md; in the spring, of the hospitals of the 6th Army Corps; summer and fall, of the army hospital in and about Gettysburg, and the Letterman General Hospital, in which there were about 2000 severely wounded, from the Gettysburg battlefield, with a view of studying the results of treatment of fracture and amputations; winter and spring of 1864,of South Street Hospital,Phila; summer of '64, in charge of the hospital steamer,( of Maine); fall of '64 till the close of the war, in charge of Sloan General Hospital, at Montpelier, and left the army in 1866,after spending the remainder of the year in New York, making a special study of injuries to the bones and brain, and returned, in '67 to Waterbury, where he has been actively engaged in practice, to the present time, excepting in '71, a portion of which he was traveling Europe. His practice is large in the treatment of nervous diseases, surgery, and consultation with neighboring physicians. In '69 and '79 he published, in the Transactions of Vermont Medical Society, a paper on the treatment of gun-shot fracture, especially the femur. In '72, '72, '73 papers on some of the incidents following amputation; in '74 amputation at the knee joint, in '77 wrote a paper on hemiplegic.
He is a member of the Washington County Medical Society, and of The American Medical Association; of Vermont State Medical Society, of which he was president in 1870, and which he represents at the meetings of the American Medical Association in '60, '66, '71, '80; of the Massachusetts Medical Society, and an honorary member of the California State Medical Society.
In 1880, when the Legislature was about to elect trustees of the University of Vermont, the members of the medical profession, among them Dr. Carpenter of Burlington, insisted they were entitled to be represented on the board with the other professions. They put forward Dr. Janes, and he was elected unanimously to that position. He is also at this time one of the medical committee of the Mary Fletcher Hospital-Burlington, and it is no exaggeration to say, no man in the state stands higher in his profession today than Dr. Janes.
Dr. Henry Janes, son of Henry F. and Fanny (Butler) Janes, was born in Waterbury, January 24, 1832. The following sketch was condensed by Hon. Edwin F. Palmer from biographies of the members of the "Rocky Mountain Medical association," published at Washington, D. C, in 1877:-- The Doctor received his education at Morrisville and at St. Johnsbury academies. His medical studies were commenced in 1852, at Waterbury, under Dr. J. B. Woodard. He attended his first course of medical lectures at Woodstock College, in 1852, and two courses subsequently at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York, where he graduated in 1855 and was appointed assistant and afterward house physician in Bellevue hospital, New York city. In 1856, he went into practice at Chelsea, Mass., and in 1857 returned to Waterbury, where he soon acquired a good professional business. In 1861 he entered the army as surgeon of the 3d Vt. Regt., in 1863 was commissioned surgeon of the U. S. army, and in 1865 was brevetted, lieutenant. The greater part of his military service was spent in hospital duty. In the fall of 1862 he was in charge of a hospital at Burkettsville; in 1863, in the winter, at Frederick, Md.; in the spring in the hospitals of the 6th Army Corps, and in the summer and fall in the army hospitals in and about Gettysburg, and at the Letterman general hospital, in which were about 2,000 severely wounded from the Gettysburg battlefield. In the winter and spring of 1864 he was in South Street general hospital, at Philadelphia, and in the summer of the same year was in charge of a hospital steamer. From the fall of 1864 till the close of the war he was in charge of Sloan general hospital, at Montpelier. He left the army in 1866, and spent a portion of that year in New York, making a special study of injuries to the bones and brain. In 1867, he returned to Waterbury, where he has since been actively engaged in practice, with the exception of a portion of 1874, when he was traveling in Europe. His practice is large in the treatment of nervous diseases, surgery, and in consultations with neighboring physicians. In 1869and '70 he published, in the "Transactions of Vermont Medical Society," a paper on the treatment of gunshot fractures, especially of the femur; in 1871, '72, and '73 papers on some of the incidents following amputations; in 1874 amputations at the knee-joint; in 1877 a paper on spinal hemiplegia. At the 9th International Congress held at Washington, D. C., Dr. Janes read two papers, one on non-fatal penetrating gunshot wounds of the abdomen, treated without laparotomy, and the other, gunshot fractures of the femur, giving the results of treatment of 427 cases, and also 263 cases treated conservatively--a larger number than has been treated by any other living person. In 1880, Dr. Janes was elected by the unanimous vote of the legislature a trustee of the University of Vermont, and he is also one of the medical committee of the Mary Fletcher hospital, at Burlington.
William Adams, editor, Gazetteer of Washington County, Vt., 1783-1889, (The Syracuse Journal Company, Syracuse, NY, 1889), pp. 507-508
Served with the 3rd Vermont Infantry from the time of his muster in to U. S. service, 6/61, and participated in the battles in which it was engaged from that time until after the battle of South Mountain, Md., 9/62; was in charge of hospitals at Burkettsville, Md., and Frederick, Md., after the battles of South Mountain and Antietam, in the fall and early winter of 62; rejoined the 3rd Vt. 1/63; during the second battle of Fredericksburg, was in charge of the Second Division hospital of the VI Corps.
As an illustration of the efficiency of the ambulance service of the Army of the Potomac at that time so soon after its organization by Medical Director Letterman, and its establishment on an independent basis, it may be now stated that during the 48 hours including the time of the battle, owing to the changes of the position of the contending forces, it was necessary to move the hospital of the Second Division five times; the Rappahannock being twice crossed. After each removal, the hospital, operating, cooking and other tents were pitched, beds made up and everything put into regular running order. Notwithstanding this, all the wounded, five times as many as the whole number of the French wounded in Mexico in 64, were picked up from the line of battle by the Ambulance Corps and brought, under fire, into the hospital during the progress of the battle, their wounds were dressed, all operations were done with 24 hours, they were properly fed and furnished with comfortable beds, and surgeons and attendants were allowed several hours sleep. Thus, which was accomplished with only the regular detail usual during engagements, would have been impossible under the old system, or rather want of system so obstinately insisted and adhered to, against the protest of the Surg.-Gen. and other medical officers, by Gen.-in-Chief Halleck, in the early part of the war. A system by which the ambulances and other transportation given to the different regimental hospitals were taken for the use of headquarters messes, and could only be obtained for their legitimate uses, temporarily, if at all, by the medical officers, by correspondence through the circumlocution office; a system which disorganized and threw into confusion the line of battle during a fight, which impeded the movements of the army, and which was the cause of untold and entirely useless suffering. After the operations were completed in this hospital, Surgeon Janes went with a flag of truce into the Confederate lines for the purposes of attending the wounded prisoners of the Sixth Corps, and bringing them back into the Union lines. After which, he was in charge of the Sixth Corps Hospital, containing 1,700 patients, at Potomac Creek, until it was closed and the army moved to Gettysburg.
During the battle of Gettysburg he was assigned to duty as Medical Director, First Corps, a considerable part of the medical officers of that corps having been taken prisoners. After the close of the battle, was in charge of the hospitals in and about Gettysburg, in which were placed upwards of 20,000 wounded Union and Confederate soldiers left on the field. The care of the government for its wounded soldiers, the unimportance of the various volunteer relief societies, the magnitude of our operations and the obstinacy with which the two parties contended, may be inferred by these facts: During the progress of the battle, lest there should be some deficiency, Surgeon Janes, by the direction of Medical Director Letterman, distributed to the different hospitals, 30,000 rations in excess of their requisitions and regular supplies. The wounded left on this one battlefield were more than six times as many as the German's had during the Schleswig-Holstein war of 64, and twice as many as the English had during the Crimean war of 1854-57; this, notwithstanding the fact that in the early part of the battle, a large part of the Confederate wounded were sent to the rear.
A special hospital of about 2,000 beds was established on this field for the purpose of treating to termination the most dangerously wounded, especially those with gunshot fractures of the thigh, for the purpose of contrasting on a large scale the results of conversation and amputation under similar circumstances. In this hospital, 495 cases of gunshot fracture of the lower extremities were treated conservatively, side by side with 449 amputations of the lower extremities. it is believed that never before or since have an equal number of injuries of this class been treated conservatively, and at the same time in any hospital, with better results.
Surgeon Janes remained in charge of the hospitals in and about Gettysburg until early in the winter of 1863, when they were broken up.
In the winter and spring of 64, he was in charge of South USA Gen. Hospital, Philadelphia. On the opening of the campaign of 1864, he was returned to duty in the field with the Army of the Potomac, at his own request. During the summer and fall of 1864, he commanded the hospital steamer "State of Maine," in which many thousands of sick and wounded men were taken from the front to the general hospitals at Washington, Alexandria, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, etc.
In the fall of 1864, at the solicitation of Gov. J. Gregory Smith, he was assigned to duty in charge of Sloan U. S. General Hospital, at Montpelier, Vt., where he remained until the close of the war. His last duty was disposing of the government property at the General Hospital at Brattleboro, Vt. In all, between 49,000 and 50,000 men were treated during the war, in hospitals under his charge - one-tenth less than the total number of Germans wounded in the bloody Franco-Prussian war of 70-71. Appt. Surgeon General. of Vermont, with rank of Brigadier General, in 1888, serving two years.
Source: 1892 Revised Roster
Brigadier General Henry Janes, formerly Surgeon General of Vermont, died at his home in Waterbury, Vt., June 10, 1915, aged 82.
Doctor Janes was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in the city of New York in 1855. On the outbreak of the Civil War, he was appointed Surgeon of the Third Regiment Vermont Infantry, which was mustered into the United States service July 16. 1861. On March 26, 1863, he was promoted to Surgeon U. S. V., and on March 13, 1865, lie was made Brevet Lieutenant Colonel, U. S. V.. for faithful and meritorious service, and was mustered out of the United States Service, January 4. 1866. During his service he was in charge of hospitals at Burkettsville and Frederick, Md.; during the second battle of Fredericksburg he was in charge of the hospital of the Second Division, Sixth Corps; after the battle of Gettysburg he was in charge of the hospitals in and about that city until the winter of 1863, when he was placed in charge of the South U. S. Army General Hospital. Philadelphia. On the opening of the 1864 campaign at his own request he was returned to duty in the field with the Army of the Potomac and during the summer and fall of that year he was in command of the hospital steamer State of Maine. At the solicitation of Governor Smith, he was then assigned to duty in charge of the Sloan U. S. General Hospital. Montpelier, Vt, where he remained until the close of the war.
General Janes was a Fellow of the American Medical Association and a member of the Vermont State Medical Society. He was appointed Surgeon General of Vermont with the rank of Brigadier General, and served in this capacity for two years.
The military Surgeon: Journal of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States. By Association of Military Surgeons of the United States, p. 106
Notwithstanding the inevitable sadness connected with the idea of death, the severing of earthly ties and the final parting of the ways between ourselves and those we love, it should still be a pleasure rather than a grief to recall the memory and recount the virtues of lost friends. Such, gentlemen, is my task to-day ; not alone a duty but a labor of love.Vermont Medicine, The Official Organ of the Vermont State Medical Society, vol. 1, No, 1, January 1916, pp. 25-26.
Forty long years of intimate personal and professional acquaintance with the subject of this sketch has resulted, to the writer, in a friendship which makes his loss a personal bereavement.
After nearly sixty years of continuous service in the practice of his profession, Dr. Henry Janes, a greatly beloved and honored physician and veteran surgeon of the Civil War, died in Waterbury, Vt., June 10, 1915. He was born in Waterbury, Vt., Jan. 24, 1832. His father was Henry F. Janes, lawyer, state treasurer and a member of Congress. His mother, Fanny (Butler) Janes, was a daughter of Governor Ezra Butler, who was the second settler of Waterbury. Dr. Janes received an academic education, was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City in 1855, was house physician in Bellevue Hospital in 1855-56, and practiced medicine in Waterbury from 1857 to 1861. He entered the Army as major and surgeon of the 3d Vermont Volunteer Regiment in June, 1861; was commissioned major and surgeon, U. S. V., in May 1863; was brevetted a lieutenant colonel for distinguished services in 1865, and served continuously until mustered out of the service in 1866. He had command of field hospitals at Burkettsville and Frederick, Md., in 1862; at Fredericksburg and Gettysburg in 1863.
Soon after the seven days of fighting of the Army of the Potomac on the peninsula in 1862, though ill with "walking typhoid," he refused to take a furlough and remained on duty because his services were greatly needed. At the second battle of Fredericksburg Major Janes, having previously organized an efficient corps of surgeons and hospital attendants, was able to get the wounded transferred across the river, all needed surgical operations performed and all the wounds dressed and more than two thousand wounded men brought into the field hospital, and fed within twentyfour honrs of their disability. He continued to serve as surgeon of the sixth Army Corps and marched with it on the thirty-live mile night march from Manchester to Gettysburg, July 1 and 2, 1863. Immediately after the battle, as a major surgeon, IT. S. V., Dr. Janes was placed in command of all the Army hospitals in and around Gettysburg, established the Letterman General Field Hospital and proceeded to care for the 20,000 wounded Union and Confederate soldiers, directing the work of the 250 surgeons who attended them.
Though it was found necessary to perform, amputation of the lower extremity in more than 450 cases and the upper extremity in a still larger number of cases, by his well directed efforts, and those of his assistant surgeons in separate wards kept for that purpose, more than 2,000 cases of severe injuries of the extremities were saved from amputation by conservative treatment. He was on duty in the South Street General Hospital, Philadelphia, in the winter and spring of 1863 and 1864, and during the following summer was surgeon in charge of the hospital steamer, Maine, which conveyed the sick and wounded soldiers from the Wilderness and other Virginia battlefields of 1864, via City Point to the hospitals in Washington. In those one-night trips up the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac he was indefatigable in his efforts to secure the necessary supplies and to make sure that every sick and wounded man on the boat was made as comfortable as possible, and that every man received at least one good meal. He was ordered to take charge of the Sloan General Hospital, Montpelier, Vt., in the autumn of 1864, where he remained on duty until it was closed in 1866 when he was honorably discharged from the service. During his five years of service as surgeon in the Army, more than 49,000 wounded soldiers passed through his hands; a record which, it is believed, has not been surpassed by any surgeon in the Army.
Returning to his home in Waterbury in 1867, that he might be with his parents in their declining years, Dr. Janes resumed the practice of medicine and surgery there and soon became known throughout the State as one of its best and most highly esteemed physicians and surgeons. He published numerous important papers, notably on G. S. fractures and amputations. He was president of the Vermont State Medical Society in 1870 ; was consulting surgeon at Mary Fletcher Hospital, Burlington, and Heaton Hospital, Montpelier; surgeon general, Vermont National Guard; chairman Vermont Board Medical Censors; president, Vermont Board Medical Registration; trustee, University of Vermont, and president Waterbury Village trustees. He served as a member of the Vermont State Legislature in 1890, was a member of Bellevue Hospital Alumni Association, of the G. A. R. the M. O. L. L. U. S., and of the Sons of the American Revolution.
"He was a generous and loyal friend, stood for the highest professional and personal standards of living, was most conscientious in his work, independent, charitable, kind, hospitable and interested in everything that made for the good of his fellow citizens and especially in the young men. His wife died in 1909. He had no children. Several years ago he provided in his will that his beautiful home should be given to his native village for a public library building, and the income from other real estate to be used toward the maintenance of it. In this way the memory and influence of his life and work will be continued permanently in his home and village which he loved so well."
By Don D. Grout, M.D.
Check out the introduction to Surgeon Henry Janes and additional material we have collected on him.