Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Jillson, Henry Nathaniel


Age: 20, credited to Williamstown, VT
Unit(s): 12th VT INF, 3rd MA HARTY
Service: enl 8/22/62, m/i 10/4/62, Pvt, Co. D, 12th VT INF, m/o 7/14/63; enl in Braintree, MA, 8/24/64, m/i, Pvt, Co. F, 3rd MA HARTY, 8/24/64, m/o 6/17/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 02/02/1842, Williamstown, VT
Death: 04/26/1900

Burial: East Hill Cemetery, Williamstown, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Bob Hackett
Findagrave Memorial #: 96842351


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 7/3/1877
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: See Benedict's Army Life in Virginia


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


East Hill Cemetery, Williamstown, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Henry N. Jillson, a former resident of Barre, was taken from Williamstown to the State Asylum for the insane at Waterbury, last Saturday, by Dr. J. W. Jackson. Mr. Jillson is suffering from epilepsy contracted in the army, from which he has finally become demented.

Source: Montpelier Daily Journal, April 23, 1900.


Henry F. Jillson died last week at the asylum in Waterbury. His body was brought here for burial beside those of his parents in our East Hill cemetery. The funeral, under the auspices of the Grand Army post, was held at the Methodist church, Rev. F. C. Carrier officiating. It was found when he was taken to Waterbury not many days before, that he was in the last stages of consumption. For some years past he had lived in Barre and in the family of Dr. J. W. Jackson. The provision for his care, that he inherited from his brother, the late James F. Jillson, and the pension he was getting, were ample for all his needs, and with so kind hearted a guardian as George Beckett of our place, his wants were well anticipated. And yet the nature of his long illness, epilepsy, and as the sole survivor of his fatherís family, with other ills incident to life, made his case a very pitiful one, and he felt at times that life held but little for him. He entered the government service at the time of the War of the Rebellion, as a nine months man, in Company D, Twelfth Vermont Volunteers, and afterwards re-enlisted in a Massachusetts battery. He was a man of very kindly feelings, and but for ill health would have had a different career.

Source: Montpelier Daily Journal, May 1, 1900.
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.