Vermont Flag Site Logo

Keyes, Lorenzo D.


Age: 38, credited to Brattleboro, VT
Unit(s): 1st VT CAV
Service: enl 9/10/61, m/i 11/19/61, WGNR, Co. F, 1st VT CAV, pow, n.d., prld 9/13/62, m/o 11/18/64

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 10/22/1820, Massachusetts
Death: 02/18/1899

Burial: Prospect Hill Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 163155920


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Unknown
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Prospect Hill Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Windham County

Lorenzo D. Keyes of this village, formerly a hotel keeper in Marlboro, and teamster of the Windham county company 1st Vt. Cavalry, was shot from a baggage wagon in is care during the retreat of Banks' command. He leaves a wife and three children.

Source: St. Johnsbury Caledonian
June 13, 1862
Contributed by Tom Boudreau.



Lorenzo D. Keyes, 78, a farmer, war veteran, and old time stage driver, died at the home of his son, W. A. Keyes, on Washington Street last Saturday. He had been afflicted, more or less, with rheumatism ever since he came out to the army, and for the past few years had suffered greatly.

Mr. Keyes was born in Charlemont, Mass. Oct. 17, 1820, and was one of eight children of Calvin Keyes. At the age of about 17 he began driving stage for a company which operated several stage lines. His route was from Brattleboro to Boston, his headquarters were in Brattleboro. He afterward drove stage from Brattleboro to Worcester, Mass., and from Brattleboro to Bellows Falls.

In 1848 he married Velonia P. Day, of Chesterfield, N.H., at Bernardston, Mass., and soon afterward bought a hotel in Marlboro, which he ran for a few years, going from there to Athol, Mass. As a teamster. Two or three years later he returned to Brattleboro, and in 1861 he enlisted with Company F. First Vermont Cavalry, and served three years and six months. He was taken prisoner at the battle of Cedar Creek, and was confined for two months in the prison on Belle Island. He was then transferred to Winchester prison, where he was confined two months, after which he was exchanged.

When he was released he was a physical wreck. Hundreds of prisoners died near him, but for one fortunate circumstance he would have lost his own life. Just before he was taken prisoner he found, on the ground, some matches which a comrade had thrown away because they were wet. Few of the other prisoners had matches with which to light their tobacco, so by exchanging these matches, Mr. Keyes kept himself supplied with tobacco, and he often said it was this tobacco that kept him alive until he was released. He served out the remainder of his time as a wagoneer for officers, driving six horses.

Upon his return to Brattleboro he bought a milk route of Stewart Pratt, and afterward bought the Boyden Farm in Brattleboro near the Guilford line. He continued his milk business for about 20 years.

Mrs. Keyes died about two years ago. Mr. Keyes remained at the farm until last December, when he came to Brattleboro to live with his son, Willis. He leaves another son, Albert A. Keyes, of Brattleboro, two sisters, Mrs. Susan Moore, of Athol, Mass, and Mrs. Electa Upton, of Charlemont, Mass., and a brother, Hart Keyes of Athol.

The funeral was held at the house of W. A. Keyes at 2 o'clock Monday, Rev. W. H. Collins officiating. The body was placed in the vault in the Prospect Hill Cemetery. The bearers were members of his company;H. C. Streeter, and A. D. Gibbs, Harrison Fisher of Brattleboro, and Ransom Farr of West Chesterfield, N.H., Hart Keyes and Mrs, Charles Woodard, of Athol, Mass., niece of Mr Keyes attended the funeral.

Source: Vermont Phoenix, Brattleboro, Feb. 24, 1899
Courtesy of Deanna French

Previous Page