Landon, Walter C.
Age: 29, credited to Rutland, VTVITALS
Birth: 08/17/1831, VermontADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Alias?: None notedDESCENDANTS
Evergreen Cemetery, Rutland, VT
Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.
Walter C. Landon
Rutland Daily Herald, April 11, 1910:
After an illness of only one week with pneumonia, Walter C. Landon, the oldest business man in the city, died yesterday afternoon at 1 o'clock at his home, No. 133 Grove street. Mr. Landon, who was in his 79th year, was born in Sunderland, August 17, 1831 and was the son of Noah Landon.At the age of 14, he left home and worked on a farm in Arlington for two years, going at that time to Bennington, where he clerked for four years in the store owned by P.L. Robinson. He came to Rutland in 1852 and took a position with his cousin in the firm of Landon and Graves, who occupied what was called "the old red store" on the present site of the Sawyer block. In 1857 Mr. Landon entered into partnership with Chester Kingsley and these men started a grocery store. He sold out to Mr. Kingsley and, in partnership with J.W. Cramton, bought the old Central hotel, which they ran for several years. Selling out his interest in the hotel business to Mr. Cramton, Mr. Landon went into partnership with J.N. Baxter, operating a grocery store. In 1864 he took over the business and ran it himself in the Keyes block. Next year, he moved to the corner of West street and Merchants row. In 1868, Mr. Landon opened up the present business in the present building, with C.F. Huntoon as his junior partner. Remaining in the hardware business, they built up one of the biggest hardware concerns in the state. Mr. Landon was at one time prominent in politics, both municipal and state. For the years 1864-1875, he was town, village and school treasurer and was later in the years 1874, 1881-1884. He was water commissioner for nine years, a member, at one time, of the board of selectmen, for over 20 years a member of the city fire department, and for 10 years preceding 1882 was chief engineer of the fire department. In the years 1882-3, he represented the town of Rutland in the state Legislature. At one time, he was a director of the True Blue Marble company, and he had been a director of the Baxter National bank from its inception and, at the time of his death, was its vice president. For years he held the office of treasurer of the Evergreen Cemetery association. Mr. Landon had an interesting army career. A member of the old Rutland Light Guards, he was one of the first to enlist for the Civil war. He was a sergeant and color bearer in company A., First Vermont regiment and saw three months active service from May to August 1861, fighting in the battle of Big Bethel. He re-enlisted in 1863, and left Rutland as captain of Company K, 12th Vermont regiment. He served nine months this time under General Stannard of the Vermont brigade, who was in charge of the baggage train at Gettysburg. Mr. Landon was commander of Roberts post, GAR, at the time of his death, he and the other two senior officers, Milo Lyman and H.G. Sheldon, having been members of the same company during the war. He was also a member of the Knights of Pythias, of Rutland lodge of Elks, and one of the Loyal Legion. Mr. Landon was a trustee of the Elks club. He is survived by one son, Charles H. Landon of this city, a brother, Warren E. Landon of Connecticut, and a sister, Mrs. Fannie P. Nichols of this city. The funeral will be held at Trinity Episcopal church, Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock and Roberts post, G.A.R., will have charge of the services.
Courtesy of Jennifer Snoots.