Vermont Flag Site Logo

Individual Record

Mason, Andrew Jackson

Age: 26, credited to New Haven, VT
Unit(s): 5th VT INF
Service: enl 9/5/61, m/i 9/16/61, PVT, Co. F, 5th VT INF, pr 1SGT, comn 2LT, 7/9/62 (7/9/62), resgd 3/31/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

Birth: 10/24/1834, Potsdam, NY
Death: 01/26/1898

Burial: Evergreen Cemetery, New Haven, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Alan Lathrop
Findagrave Memorial #: 31872430
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Unknown
Portrait?: VHS off-site
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

Copyright notice

Evergreen Cemetery, New Haven, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.


Andrew Jackson Mason stood out as unique for several reasons: first, he was a tenacious individual who did not give up easily when presented with adversity; second, he could have been the poster child for a very dubious practice in the Civil War that was quite acceptable in his time both militarily and socially speaking. The privilege which Andrew exercised as an officer in the Union Army was a carry-over from the old European caste system which emphasized the benefits of position in the hierarchy of the living. Andrew's behavior was not created by a conniving, narcissistic personality. He was just taking advantage of an opportunity presented to him by the fortunate status of his rank in the military organization. Many officers, on both sides of the Mason Dixon Line, did exactly the same thing and many for far less justifiable reasons than Andrew had. However, the practice of resigning one's commission (and therefore, commitment) to the service one is enlisted in when one feels like it so that one can disengage from active participation in all military duties and go home, was an option available only to the privileged class of soldier. The rank and file did not have a choice. Once signed up, non-coms (non-commissioned officers) had to stay until their term of service expired, they received a medical discharge for disability, they deserted (an offense punishable by being executed) or they were killed in battle or died of diseases. Indeed, as they say, rank had its privileges.

Andrew J. Mason was born October 24, 1834 in Potsdam, New York.[1] He was the son of Lawrence Sprague Mason (1783-1853) born in Dedham, Massachusetts and Sarah French (1796-1879). Andrew's father was married three times. First to Abigail Barker (1785-1810). This marriage produced no children. His second wife was Betsy Bristol (?-1825). Their union resulted in the birth of two children, both daughters: Clarissa Abigail (1813-?) and Betsy Lucy (1820-1833). His third, and final marriage, was to Sarah French with whom Lawrence had five additional offspring including: Elizabeth (1829-1908); William (1830-?); Sarah Jane (1832-1918); Andrew (1834-1898); and Charles Wheeler, aka C.W. Mason, (1837-1898). Lawrence spent most of his adulthood living in Potsdam, New York where all of his children by Sarah were born.[2] Lawrence was a millwright by trade. He also dabbled in carpentry as well. He won the title of "Captain" while serving in the local militia of Potsdam. His father, William Mason, Junior, served in the American Revolution as a private from its commencement on April 19, 1775 at Lexington and Concord as one of the famous "Minute Men". William married Lawrence's mother, Lucy Fales, after the Revolutionary War in 1782 at Dedham, Massachusetts.[3]

Andrew spent his youth growing up in Potsdam, New York. He was the oldest son of the five children from his father's third marriage. His mother was Sarah French whom Lawrence married on April 20, 1828. The couple had their first child, Elizabeth, on March 2, 1829 in Potsdam. All the other four children of Sarah and Lawrence were also born in that New York town. Of all Andrew's brothers and sisters, two stood out as extraordinary. Andrew's sister Sarah Jane, born on October 6, 1832, married twice in her lifetime. Her first husband was Harry Brownson, Junior (1829-1891). He served in the Civil War as a Captain in the Quarter Master's Department. She remarried in 1893 to a Colonel Clement A. Lounsbury who wrote a history of North Dakota and was at Bismarck, North Dakota when the Custer Massacre occurred. She died in Washington, D.C. in 1918 and was buried in Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. The other notable family member was Andrew's younger brother, Charles Wheeler. C.W. Mason was a member of the Fourteenth Vermont Infantry which served at Gettysburg. He went on in civilian life to become a very prominent Merino sheep breeder. More detailed information on Charles W. can be found in his biographical sketch posted on the Vermont in the Civil War website.[4]

In 1850, at the age of "fourteen", Andrew was living with his parents, sisters Sarah and Elizabeth and his ten year old brother, C.W. in Potsdam, New York. Lawrence was a sixty-six year old "machinist" whose total net worth amounted to $500. The two younger boys attended school. The two young women were unemployed at home.[5] On January 10, 1859, twenty-four year old Andrew married Ann Delia Ward (1839-1917) in Burlington, Vermont. She came from Addison, Vermont (the town, not the county). She was the daughter of Chester and Abigail (Hawkins) Ward. The couple must have met when Andrew left Potsdam to take up farming in New Haven just prior to the outbreak of the Civil War.[6]

In 1860, Andrew and his new bride, Ann, lived on a farm in New Haven that had an appraised value of $1,800. Andrew had a hired man, twenty-one year old Patrick O'Flanagan and a female servant, forty-four year old Mary French, living in the household.[7] The couple had been married for only about a year when the 1860 Federal Census was taken, so there were no children in the home yet. When the pre-dawn skies were lit up with the "rockets red glare" in Charleston, South Carolina on another April morning in 1861, it took only two days for the word about war to get to New Haven. Beginning with that news, a frenzy of activity consumed every village and town throughout the State of Vermont. Young men by the hundreds lined up to enlist in Mr. Lincoln's army. Afraid the whole affair would be over before they had their chance to kill some Secesh, Yankee youths thronged recruiters. A few months later, after the Battle of First Bull Run, everyone realized this new war pitting brother against brother was not going to be a short, sweet affair, but, rather, a prolonged, bloody slug-fest that was going to take a lot longer than ninety days to complete. In July of 1861, President Lincoln called for an additional 500,000 troops. With time for more deliberation, Andrew decided now was the time to enlist and do his duty. The six foot farmer with a light complexion, blue eyes and brown hair signed up in Cornwall, Vermont on September 4, 1861. E.S. Stowell enlisted the native New Yorker into the Fifth Regiment Vermont Volunteers, Company F for three years.[8] He officially became Private Mason on September 16 in St. Albans.[9]

The Fifth was organized in St. Albans, Vermont. Its companies were raised in various towns throughout the State. Company B, for example, was comprised of only men from Middlebury; Company E was from Manchester; Company H, from Brandon; Company F, from Cornwall; and so on. The Regiment was mustered-in on September 16, 1861 at St. Albans. It was immediately sent to Washington, D.C. and joined the other Vermont troops already at Camp Advance (Griffin) near the Chain Bridge in Virginia where it was assigned to the Vermont Brigade with which it served during the rest of the war. Throughout the fall of 1861, and the first few months of 1862, it was on duty in the defenses surrounding Washington.

March 10, 1862 the Fifth moved to Alexandria, Virginia. Two weeks later, the Regiment boarded transport ships for the Virginia Peninsula landing at Fort Monroe and moving to New Port News on the twenty-third and twenty-fourth of March, 1862. By April 16, 1862, the Regiment was at Lee's Mills with the Vermont Brigade. On June 29, the Fifth brought four hundred men to the action at Savage's Station. In one half hour of fighting, it lost one hundred eighty-eight of them on the field. Company E of Manchester suffered the heaviest losses of any company from Vermont. Company E went into the engagement with fifty-nine muskets. In that one half hour of fierce conflict, it lost forty-four of the fifty-nine; twenty-five were killed and nineteen were wounded. Five Cummings brothers and one cousin from the company were among those killed or wounded. Only one of the six recovered from his wounds. The Regiment as a whole suffered the heaviest loss in killed and wounded at the Battle of Savage's Station, Virginia on June 29, 1862 of any Union regiment in a single action of the entire war. In the following few days, the Fifth along with the rest of the Vermont Brigade, went on to be involved in more fighting at White Oak Swamp and Malvern Hill as the Federals retreated from General Lee towards Harrison's Landing.

On August 16 - 24, 1862, the Regiment returned to Fort Monroe and reached the Bull Run battlefield by August 30, just missing the fighting there. During the Maryland Campaign of 1862, the Fifth took part in Crampton's Gap (South Mountain) and Antietam. It ended 1862 engaged in the Battle of Fredericksburg. In January (23-24) of 1863, it joined Burnside's "Mud March" on its way to Marye's Heights and Salem Church. It celebrated the Fourth of July at Gettysburg. The Fifth took a break August 14 through September 16, 1863 and relaxed in New York during the draft riots there. The Regiment rejoined the Army of the Potomac at Culpeper Court House in Virginia on September 23. It went into winter quarters at Brandy Station where the veterans of the Regiment re-enlisted on December 15, 1863 and was the first Regiment granted a veteran's furlough for a month's duration.

On its return from furlough in Vermont, the Fifth continued as a veteran organization and participated in the bloody month with the Army of the Potomac from the Wilderness to Cold Harbor, and took an active part in the siege of Petersburg. The Regiment began the campaign with five hundred men. In one month, it lost three hundred forty-nine killed, wounded and missing, including thirteen officers. September 15, 1864, the term of service for original members who had not re-enlisted expired. They were mustered-out leaving present for duty one assistant surgeon, a quartermaster, three first lieutenants and three hundred enlisted personnel. After the October 19 Battle of Cedar Creek, the Fifth moved to the Siege of Petersburg again and went into winter camp at Squirrel Level Road in December, 1864.

When Petersburg finally fell in April of 1865, the Fifth Vermont was the first Regiment to plant its colors on the Confederate defensive works. The unit was present at Appomattox Court House for the surrender of Robert E. Lee and his army. June 8, 1865 the Fifth marched in the Corps Review held at Washington, D.C. On June 29, the veterans were mustered-out. At its discharge, there were only twenty-four officers and two hundred eighty-eight men on its rolls - three hundred twelve total out of an original strength of 1,618 . For the last ten months of its service, the highest ranking officer in the Fifth present for duty was a captain; for more than three months of those last ten, the highest ranking officer present for duty was a lieutenant. Every officer present for the Grand Review went out as a private.[10]

In no time at all, young Private Mason made a positive impression on his company officers. On November 27, 1861, he was promoted from the ranks to be First Sergeant of Company F, Fifth Vermont Infantry.[11] His advancement was the direct result of "vacancies" occurring in the ranks of the Fifth Vermont as they became seasoned veterans. First Sergeant Mason's career and experiences progressed safely through the months of December, 1861 and July, 1862. The activities of the Fifth during those months involved a lot of marching from place to place with only intermittent skirmishes and one serious encounter with Confederate forces at Lee's Mills along with the Third, Fourth and Sixth Vermont. Then on June 29, 1862, at Savage's Station, the Fifth suffered its first massive casualties of the war. The Regiment took about four hundred men into the battle. Within thirty minutes of engaging the enemy, it lost one hundred and eighty-eight officers and men. Company E entered the assault with fifty-nine combatants. In those thirty minutes, it lost forty-four men killed or wounded. Eleven men were present to answer roll call at the end of the engagement. This action was immediately followed by more fighting at White Oak Swamp and Malvern Hill to round out the action known as the Seven Days Battle.[12]

Small wonder that there was a flurry of promotions in the Fifth after such ravishing losses. On July 9, 1862, First Sergeant Mason was bumped up to Second Lieutenant.[13] His commissioning was endorsed by then Vermont Governor Holbrook. Lieutenant Mason led Company F through a number of movements and marches during the summer and fall of 1862. He was present for the Battle of Antietam, but, he and the Fifth, were not employed in that bloody day's work. Lieutenant and the Fifth were engaged in the Battle of Fredericksburg at the end of 1862.

On January 31, 1863, Lieutenant Mason requested a ten day leave of absence. His request was submitted one week after Burnside's "Mud March" was completed in which the Fifth Vermont was wholly engrossed in. However, fatigue and contempt were not the reasons he gave for asking for time off from his duties. He wrote, "...I have the honor to apply for a leave of absence for ten (his emphasis) days for the following reasons, viz: 1st The long continued illness of my family; 2nd Important business affairs which demands my personal attention...."[14] Who was desperately ill and how serious was their condition was never addressed by Lieutenant Mason. As far as his "business" concerns went, it most likely had to do with his Merino sheep back home and the farm which Andrew had left in the care of his younger brother, Charles. Unfortunately for Andrew, this trip home was going to have serious negative repercussions for Lieutenant Mason.

Even though the leave of absence he was granted was for longer than the ten days he originally requested, Lieutenant Mason overstayed the leave by two days. He was supposed to report back to his Regiment no later than February 24, 1863. He did not report back until the 26th.[15] Consequently, by military rules, he was AWOL (Absent Without Leave) for two days. The military is noted for its dislike of rule breakers. Lieutenant Mason was placed under arrest for his tardiness.[16] Usually when an officer was placed under arrest for some infraction of the military code of conduct, he was restricted to quarters and relieved of all duty assignments. Charges and specifications have to be presented against the defendant by the Regiment's acting Adjutant. Even in the military, the right to a speedy trial is the generally accepted rule. Apparently, the wheels of military justice in this case did not move so quickly. A month after (March 25) returning to duty, the newly chosen commanding officer of the Second Brigade to which the Fifth Vermont was attached, Colonel Grant, prompted, undoubtedly by Lieutenant Mason himself, inquired of the commanding officer of the Third Vermont, Major C.P. Dudley, two things: "... 1. How long Lieut. Mason 5th Vermont Vols. has been in arrest? and , 2. Whether a copy of the charges have been served on Lieut. Mason?..." The letter made it very clear that Col. Grant wanted a reply to these questions "...this evening...."[17] Actually, charges and specifications had been written out on February 26, the day Lieutenant Mason returned and was placed under arrest. But what happened to them no one seemed to know.

Before any subsequent action was taken by the various Adjutants and commanders in the field, Lieutenant Mason resolved the issue himself. Rather than face the humiliation of a general court martial, he resigned his commission. His reasons were given as: "... 1st. Incompetency for the office; 2nd Having left my Farm and business with a younger brother and he having enlisted makes it very necessary that I should be there to attend to it...."[18] His letter of resignation was written from "...Camp near White Oak Church, Virginia...." and was dated March 28, 1863.[18] Submitting his resignation was probable the wisest choice Lieutenant Mason had open to him. Facing a general court martial undoubtedly would have gone badly for the young soldier. Neither of his immediate commanding officers, Major Dudley of the Third Vermont and Colonel L.A. Grant commanding the Second Brigade, thought very highly of him as an officer. Dudley noted: "...He is unfit for his station and his place can be replaced by one better qualified to discharge his duties...." Colonel Grant was even more caustic proclaiming, in writing, that "...The conduct of this officer in the manner in which he obtained & overstaid (sic) his leave was not such as might be expected from an officer and a gentleman....His promotion was an error. He is much more fit for a sergeant than a Lieutenant."[19] In true military fashion, the entire delicate incident of competency and suitability was resolved when Major General John Sedgwick accepted Lieutenant Mason's resignation and honorably discharged him from the military service of the U.S. on March 31, 1863.[20]

A civilian once again, Andrew quickly returned to his wife, son( Frederick, born 1860) and his farm in New Haven. His younger brother, Charles, in whom Andrew had entrusted his family and business while he went off to war, was now a Second Lieutenant in the Fourteenth Vermont Infantry headed for Gettysburg in a few months time. Andrew must have felt great relief to be back home, tending to his family and his burgeoning Merino sheep business. Yet, there was a dark cloud that dogged Andrew even as he assimilated himself back into the main stream of agricultural life in New Haven.

By 1870, Andrew had built up a modest home and business valued at $4,500. He and Anna had added two more children to the family. Besides "Freddie", now ten, there was Jessie, age six, and Carrie age two months. The "cloud" came in the form of Jessie. He appeared to have been born with serious mental abnormalities. The 1870 Federal Census labeled him as "idiotic". Jessie would remain handicapped for the rest of his life, needing continual care from his family. But, financially, the Masons were well off, at least being able to afford to hire a live-in domestic servant named Rosa Jelly, a twenty-two year old illiterate female from New York state whose parents were immigrants. About 1876, another Mason joined the clan in New Haven. Saddie A. became the second daughter in the household.[21]

When 1880 rolled around, the Mason bunch were having some serious challenges to deal with. Jessie, in addition to being mentally challenged, had also gone blind. He was sixteen and had never been to school so he couldn't read or write. He was "housed" at home. The head of the household, Andrew, was also having his own health issues. The Federal Census noted that he suffered from paralysis, most likely caused by a stroke. He was still listed as a farmer, but, it was evident, his oldest son, Freddie, was doing what work was necessary to maintain the farm operation. Carrie and Saddie both attended school. Anna was now occupied with caring for two invalids in the home.[22] All this came at a time when Andrew and his younger brother, Charles, were launching a successful Merino sheep breeding business. They were doing quite well and had established a wide reputation as leading breeders of sheep and horses, the quality of which were not surpassed in Addison County. In fact, the Masons (Charles predominately) were actively seeking markets in the Western United States. The Masons joined with another breeder of Merinos named Wright to form the Mason & Wright Company and sought to sell breeding stock in states like Texas and Colorado. Freddie, Andrew's oldest son, became a dealer for the company and traveled widely selling breeding stock from Vermont to the western buyers. On one of his business trips to Texas, Freddie took seriously ill with typhoid fever. In October of 1882, he was "...brought home in critical condition....and last accounts slight hopes of his recovery were entertained."[23] However, Freddie did recover completely and continued to work for Mason & Wright as a dealer in Merino sheep. He ended up going out to Colorado prior to 1891 to represent the company. His uncle, Charles W., had preceded him by then. Obviously, Andrew, Charles and Freddie were instrumental in expanding the sheep industry, especially the Merino breed, throughout the western states of the U.S.

Then in the fall of 1891, Andrew and family were struck with yet another tragedy. "...The sad news of the murder of Fred Mason at Elizabeth, Colorado was received here on Tuesday and was first seen in a New York paper...." This "Fred Mason" was, of course, Andrew's oldest and only surviving son (Jessie had mercifully died in 1888).[24] The newspaper article continued: "...Fred Mason was secretary of a stock company and was shot by a herder by the name of S.W. Berry, who after firing the fatal shot, took Mr. Mason's horse and escaped. Mr. Mason....was a young man who had many friends and relatives in this town (New Haven) which was still called his home and where he spent his early life and school days. He had been very fortunate in his business in the West, was a trusted and valued man in business and his early death in so sad a manner is a terrible blow, not only to his parents and two sisters who survive him, but to old neighbors and friends. His remains are en route to this place (New Haven). Rev. C.S. Sargent will preach the funeral sermon."[25] This notice appeared in the September 3, 1891 edition of the Burlington Clipper. Eight days later, a more comprehensive account of Fred's murder appeared in the Middlebury Register under the headline "The Shooting Of F.C. Mason":

	"...Fred C. Mason, the popular manager of the Merino stock farm, 
	situated two miles north of Elizabeth, was most brutally shot down
	at 1:15 o'clock Monday afternoon at one of the company's camps
	on Kiowa creek (sic), by L.W. Berry, a herder who had been work-
	ing for the company since some time last spring.
	   From what we could learn from Mr. Dandridge and two other em-
	ployees who were near when the shooting occurred, the facts are about
	as follows: Monday after dinner Mason and Berry attempted to have a 
	settlement, but on account of Berry's carelessness in letting a number
	of fine sheep smother, Mason would not pay him the wages demanded
	and told him to go to the company for settlement. This led to a few 
	words which Mr. Dandridge thought had settled the affair and he left
	the house to go to the barn, but had not proceeded far when he heard
	the report of a gun and on turning around saw Mason running south from
	the door and Berry with Winchester in hand after him. Mason had run 
	but a few steps when Berry fired the second shot at him and then turned
	and ran around the house to the northwest, and catching sight of Mason
	at the southwest corner of the house, he again fired at him with deadly 
	aim, the ball passing through both sides of a ladder standing against the
	house, striking and breaking Mr. Mason's left arm, entering his left side
	a little below the ribs, passed through his body and lodged against the
	skin just above the hip on the right side. 
	   After Mason was shot he uttered a groan, ran in the house and fell to
	the floor, still pursued by his assailant, who was stopped at the door by
	Dandridge, whom he also drew the gun on and demanded entrance, but on
	being told that he had already shot his victim badly Berry walked to the 
	barn, compelled one of the hands there to bring him out a horse, when he
	mounted it and rode to another camp, captured a revolver from a herder
	and made his escape.
	   After the shooting a messenger came to Elizabeth after Dr. Ellison 
	and dispatched (sic) also to Elbert for Dr. McNelian. Both doctors lost no 
	time in reaching the patient, but on doing so found him in a very weak
	condition and rapidly sinking, and he continued to grow weaker until
	8:20 p.m., when he breathed his last.
	   Mr. Mason was conscious that he had received a fatal shot, but was
	calm and quiet; he sent his love to his dear mother, who resides in New
	Haven, Vt., and asked to be remembered to all his friends....
	   Fred Mason was a young man not yet 31 years of age, was sober, 
	industrious and enterprising; was Republican in politics and was pro-
	minently spoken of as a candidate for county commissioner at the coming
	election." [26] 

The last that was heard about the murder of Fred appeared in the Burlington Free Press in October of 1891: "...Charles W. Mason has returned from Elizabeth, Colorado where (sic) has been engaged in closing up the business affairs of Frederick Mason, recently murdered by a desperado. A large reward is offered for the murderer dead or alive. He fled to the fastness (sic) of the Castle mountains (sic). Mr. Mason's horse had been recovered...."[27] Considering the priorities of the old wild west, it was certainly understandable that the return of the horse was just as noteworthy as the fact that the killer of Fred Mason was still at large!

Two years after this heart-wrenching loss of his last son, Andrew, already made an invalid by a stroke, had to withstand yet another disaster. Either going to or coming from Vergennes in November of 1893, "...Mr. Andrew Mason, a soldier and invalid, was very seriously hurt by being thrown from his wagon at Vergennes last week, his horse took fright and ran dragging Mr. Mason some distance. His arm was broken, his face and body bruised...."[28] This unfortunate accident had a significantly negative effect on Andrew's already marginal health. In July of 1896, the Middlebury Register reported: "...Andrew J. Mason, who has been in quite poor health all summer, was able to walk into his garden, for the first time this season, last Thursday."[29] Someone outside the immediate family was keeping a close eye on old Andrew. By the fall of that year, Carrie, Andrew's daughter, had to give up her teaching position in New Haven in order to care for her failing father.[30] Late in December of 1897, Andrew had another serious mishap. He fell and dislocated his hip. It was a survivable event for most people, but considering Andrew's stroke (s) and paralyses and his advanced age, it was too much for the sixty-three year old veteran. He died at his home Wednesday morning, January 26, 1898.[31] The family wasted no time in getting him buried. On Friday, January 29, 1898 " 12:30 o'clock....the funeral of Andrew Mason was held at the church....many people present testify to the esteem and respect felt towards the deceased. Mr. Mason leaves a widow and two daughters, Miss Carrie Mason and Mrs. D.L. Ross."[32]

The official cause of death was "apoplexy", today called a stroke.[33] Although eligible for a pension, Andrew did not appear to have ever applied for one. Perhaps his reasons hailed back to the way his military career ended. His widow had no such second thoughts. She applied for benefits within two weeks after Andrew was buried.[34]

> 1., Memorial #31872430 for Andrew Jackson Mason.
2., Storke Taylor Family Tree for Lawrence Sprague Mason.
3. Ibid.
4., Memorial #5530729 for Sarah Jane Mason Lounsbury;, Descendants of Capt. Hugh Mason in America under Charles Wheeler Mason.
5., 1850 U.S. Federal Census for Andrew Mason.
6. Ibid., Descendants of Capt. Hugh Mason in America for Andrew Jackson Mason; Ibid., Whitney-Hawkins Family Tree for Andrew Jackson Mason; Ibid., Vermont Vital Records, 1720-1908 for Andrew J. Mason.
7. Ibid., 1860 U.S. Federal Census for Andrew Mason.
8., Compiled Service Record of Volunteer Union Soldiers Who Served From the State of Vermont, p. 3, image 311440451. Hereinafter referred to as Compiled Service Record.
9. Ibid., Compiled Service Record, p. 4, image 311440454.
10., U.S., American Civil War Regiments, 1861-1866; Vermont in the Civil War/Units/1st Brigade/Fifth Vermont Infantry;
11., Compiled Service Record, p. 6, image 311440461.
13., Compiled Service Record, p. 11, image 311440488.
14. Ibid., Compiled Service Record, p. 22, image 311440538.
15. Ibid., Compiled Service Record, p. 24, image 311440548.
16. Ibid.
17. Ibid., Compiled Service Record, p. 28, image 311440562.
18. Ibid., Compiled Service Record, p. 32, image 311440584.
19. Ibid., Compiled Service Record, p. 33, image 311440590.
20. Ibid., Compiled Service Record, p. 35, image 311440597.
21., 1870 U.S. Federal Census for Andrew Mason.
22. Ibid., 1880 U.S. Federal Census for Andrew J. Mason.
23., Middlebury Register, Fri., Oct. 27, 1882.
24., Whitney-Hawkins Family Tree for Andrew Jackson Mason.
25., Burlington Clipper, Thu., Sep.3, 1891.
26., Middlebury Register, Fri., Sep. 11, 1891 taken from an account appearing in the Elbert County (Col.) Banner of Aug. 28, 1891.
27. Ibid., The Burlington Free Press, Sat., Oct. 10, 1891.
28. Ibid., Burlington Clipper, Fri., Nov. 17, 1893.
29. Ibid., Middlebury Register, Fri., July 31, 1896.
30. Ibid., Burlington Clipper, Thu., Sep. 3, 1896.
31. Ibid., Bristol Herald, Thu., Jan. 27, 1898.
32. Ibid., Thu., Feb. 3, 1898.
33., Vermont, Vital Records, 1720-1908 for Andrew J. Mason.
34. Ibid., U.S., Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934 for Andrew J. Mason.

Courtesy of Bernie Noble.