Vermont Flag Site Logo

Newell, Henry Clay


Age: 27, credited to St. Johnsbury, VT
Unit(s): 3rd VT INF
Service: drafted - com ASURG, 3rd VT INF, 10/2/63 (10/2/63), resgd 5/20/65 [College: DC 60]

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 10/19/1835, Burke, VT
Death: 05/02/1922

Burial: Mount Pleasant Cemetery, St. Johnsbury, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Carolyn Adams
Findagrave Memorial #: 75404355


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes
Portrait?: VHS Collections
College?: DC 60
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Article


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Mount Pleasant Cemetery, St. Johnsbury, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Vermont Officers Reunion Society Collection
Courtesy Vermont Historical Society



Dr. Henry Clay Newell died at his home on Church Street Sunday afternoon at 5:30 o'clock, in his 87th year. Mr. Newell was born in Burke Oct. 19, 1835, being the son of Dr. Selim Newell, one of the earliest physicians and surgeons of this section who had a wide and successful practice. The family came to St. Johnsbury when the subject of this sketch was a boy, and he was educated in our public schools and St. Johnsbury Academy. He was graduated from Dartmouth College in the class of 1860, and obtained his medical education at Bowdoin College. In his early manhood, and while obtaining his education, he taught school successfully in many places. He was for a time principal of the old Lyndon Academy, taught in St. Johnsbury Academy, and taught in several district schools in the county.

On August 13, 1863 he enlisted in the Army, and was commissioned assistant surgeon of the Third Vermont October 2, 1863. This was Col. Proctor's regiment, and Dr. Newell was in the service until May 20, 1865. He was present and officiated in his office during the engagementas of the regiment at the battles of Spotsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Opequon, Winchester Charlestown, Fisher's Hill, and Cedar Creek.

After the war he returned to St, Johnsbury to take up the practice of medicine, which he faithfully followed for the next 50 years. A resident of Barton for about nine years beginning in 1869, he returned to this town, where he has ever since lived.

On March 20, 1866 he married Hannah Maria Hazen, at Newbury. He is survived by his wife and three children; Mrs. Margaret Haywood, who was here with her parents. and tenderly cared for them in their declining years, Selim Newell of Carlisle of Penn., Downer H. Newell of Holyoke, Mass., One daughter, Frances Isabel, died in infancy. He leaves one grandchild, Henry H. Newell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Downer H. Newell. He also leaves three sisters; Mrs. George Bradford of Sherbrooke, Mrs. Henry G. Ely of St. Johnsbury, and Miss Etta Newell of Hanover.

Dr. Newell was an active member of Chamberlin Post No. 1, and also a regular attendant at the annual gatherings in St. Johnsbury of the Third Vermont Regiment Association. During the administration of Gov. Horace Fairbanks he was Surgeon-General of the Chief Executive Staff.

Mr. Newell joined the Congregational Church on July 4, 1858. and through the years has been one of the most loyal workers and faithful attendant. He was active in Sunday school, served at one time a Deacon of the church, and was always in his accustomed place at the weekly prayer meeting.

Dr. Newell's life of unselfish service in his profession is his own memorial. His work was done before the days of automobiles, and in sunshine or rain, in summer heat or winter cold, he would drive over our country roads to minister the sick, many times without remuneration, except the gratitude from those who had been helped in time of need. He kept this up until only a few years ago he retired to the comforts of his home, and through the last few months his health steadily failed; his mind was perfectly clear, and he greatly enjoyed social visits with his friends. He was especially fond of outdoor life and no one enjoyed fishing more than he did, and there were few that were more successful.

He was a genial conversationalist, a facile and brilliant correspondent, and a man that made many friends by his cheery disposition and optimistic views.

The funeral will be held at his late residence Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock.

Source: The Caledonian-Record, May 1, 1922

Courtesy of Deanna French

Previous Page