Vermont Flag Site Logo

Individual Record
Atwood, Lyman Boynton
Age: 18, credited to Randolph, VT
Unit(s): 2nd MA HARTY
Service: enl, Boston, 9/18/63, m/i, Pvt, Co. F, 2nd MA HARTY, 10/8/63, m/o 9/3/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

Birth: 1846, Stantead, PQ, Canada
Death: 1887

Burial: South View Cemetery, Randolph, VT
Marker/Plot: 2
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: yes, widow Lavinia M., 3/8/1892, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(State digraphs will show that this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldier's home)

Remarks: None

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

Copyright notice


South View Cemetery, Randolph, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.


Atwood --- L. B. Atwood, one of St. Johnsbury's leading business men, died at Chicago Monday at midnight. Mr. Atwood left St. Johnsbury Feb. 24 to make his customary winter trip to visit his store at Fergus Falls in Minnesota, going through to St. Paul without trouble. The train left St. Paul with three locomotives and at midnight became stalled in snow drifts where it remained for 26 hours., the passengers getting food from the express cars and fuel from the locomotives. Finally reaching Fergus Falls Mr. Atwood prolonged his stay, being engaged in taking an invoice of the goods in his store, and started home Monday the 7th. He had a severe cold when he left home and expressed to a number his unusual dread of the trip. The exposure added to his cold, and when he reached Chicago he had a severe attack of acute pleurisy, soon after pronounced pleuro pneumonia. Arthur Brooks and Mr. Hopkins, old St. Johnsbury acquaintances, residents in Chicago, and Judge Hebard, Mrs. Atwood's cousin, of Chicago, called upon and cared for him. Everything that medical skill and careful nursing could do was done, and he seemed to be recovering. Communication was kept up with friends here and all reports were encouraging until Monday when there was a change for the worse, and Mrs. Atwood was sent for. She made preparation at once to go but before the hour for starting came dispatches were received saying that Mr. Atwood could not live through another night, and her physician and friends here prevailed upon Mrs. Atwood, who was herself an invalid not to attempt the journey Tuesday morning came the dispatch announcing Mr. Atwood's death.

Lyman B. Arwood was born in Stanstead, P.Q., October 1846, and was therefore 40 years old at the time of his death. Receiving a good common school education, at the age of 15 he went out into the world to seek his fortune, beginning as a clerk in a Boston wholesale store, as he used to say, "sweeping and dusting the store, and sleeping under the counter".

The outbreak of the war found him a lad of 16, but he entered the regular army as clerk in the quartermaster's department and was stationed at Newbern, N. C., where he contracted the yellow fever and was sent home. His life was spared and he returned to his post to receive his honorable discharge, but he never fully recovered from the effects of the terrible disease.

On his discharge he was engaged as a commercial traveler in Vermont and Maine for Stiles and Edmunds, showing remarkable aptitude for the business and meeting with great success. He so continued until 1870 when he bought out a clothing store in West Randolph, with J. N. Mann as a partner. Here he remained until 1880, doing a successful business, identifying himself with the interests of the place, and being counted among its best citizens. Meanwhile Mr. Atwood's business success had led him to make investments outside of his Randolph store, and in company of a cousin, he had bought a clothing store in St. Johnsbury, which was managed by J. A. Moore, In 1881 his partner died and then Mr. Atwood sold his interest in the Randolph business and moved to St. Johnsbury, where he had ever since lived. Here he was known as a business man of unusual ability, prompt in meeting all his engagements and of good business judgment. Besides the store here he owned an interest in a large thriving business in Fergus Falls, Minn., is part owner in a store in Harold, Dakota, and also owns farming land in that territory, as well as a farm in Stanstead, P.Q., and has other business interests.

Mr. Atwood was twice married, first in 1867 to Delia Burrows of Tunbridge, who died in 1871. In 1873 he married Lavinia Hebard, of West Randolph, who survives him, and who has the sincere sympathy of the entire community in this her time of trial. Mr. Atwood's life centered in his home. His wife, much of the time an invalid, has been the object of his most tender care, and all his plans in life have been laid with a view of her comfort and happiness. A member of the North Church he has always been active in Christian work, both in the church and the Young Men's Christian Association, having held positions on the working committees of both organizations.

His father, whose home is in Stanstead, P.Q., is still living, as well as a brother James, and two sisters. As a son and a brother he was specially faithful, aiding a younger brother through college, and being a true son to his father at times when a son.s aid is most needed.

St. Johnsbury has lost a worthy citizen. The funeral services are held tomorrow afternoon, the 14th, the anniversary of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Atwood. The remains of L. B. Atwood are expected here to-day, in care of Arthur Brooks. Funeral services will be held at the residence of Emerson Hall on Main Street at 3:30 o'clock Friday afternoon. The burial will take place in Randolph Saturday.

St. Johnsbury Caledonian, March 17, 1887

Courtesy of Deanna French.