Greene, Roger S.
Age: 0, credited to Unknown
Unit(s): 3rd MO INF
Service: 3rd MO INF
See Legend for expansion of abbreviationsVITALS
Birth: 12/14/1840, Roxbury, MA
Death: After 1894
Burial: Washelli Cemetery, Seattle, WA
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 104535882
Alias?: None noted
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)
(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)
Washelli Cemetery, Seattle, WA
Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.
Greene, Roger S., of Seattle, Wash., son of David and Mary Evarts Greene, was born at Roxbury, Mass., Dec. 14, 1840. He is a descendant of many of the distinguished families of the Atlantic states, and in his character can be detected some of the strongest virtues of his ancestry. On the maternal side he is the great-grandson of Roger Sherman, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation, and the United States Constitution. His mother, Mary Evarts, was a daughter of Jeremiah Evarts, and a sister of William M. Evarts, recently United States Senator from New York. His father, David Greene, was for twenty years corresponding secretary of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. In his eighth year the family removed to Westborough, Mass., and two years later to Windsor, Vt.
He received a most careful education, and after completing an academic course entered Dartmouth College, from which he was graduated in 1859. During his college life, being largely dependent upon his own exertions for support, he taught school in vacations at Windsor in the winter of 1857-'58, and at Falmouth, Mass., in the winter of 1858-'59. Soon after his graduation he began the study of law in the office of Evarts, Southmayd & Choate, in New York City, a firm composed of as brilliant men as ever adorned the bar of the metropolis of America, each of whom had at that time gained national renown. In this office as student, and afterward as managing clerk, he had an excellent opportunity of gaining a valuable preliminary legal training. In May, 1862, in New York City, he was admitted to practice, but his loyalty to his country induced him to abandon his professional career and to enter the Union army.
In September, 1862, he enlisted under commission as 2d Lieut. of Co. I, 3d Missouri Inft.; in March following he was promoted to 1st Lieut. of the same company, and still later, in 1863, was made captain of Co. C, 51st U. S. Colored Inft., serving as such until honorably discharged by acceptance of his resignation in November, 1865. He also served during this period as judge advocate of the District of Vicksburg at the close of 1864 and beginning of 1865, and judge advocate of the Western Division of Louisiana from June, 1865, until retirement from service. He received a gun-shot wound through the right arm in the general assault on Vicksburg while in command of his company, May 22, 1863. Just before his military service, Judge Greene was offered the position of Assistant United States District Attorney for the southern district of New York, but declined the office.
In January, 1866, he began the practice of his profession in Chicago, occupying the same office with Perkin Bass, then United States attorney, with whom he was associated in practice.
He remained in Chicago until his appointment by President Grant, in July, 1870, as associate justice of the Supreme Court of Washington Territory, when he settled at Olympia. He was twice re-appointed, holding the office until January, 1879, when he was commissioned chief justice, at which time he removed to Seattle, where he has since continued to reside. In 1883 he was re-appointed chief justice and served until the close of his term in March, 1887. Since that time he has been for the most part engaged in the practice of his profession. In March, 1887, he formed a professional copartnership with Hon. Cornelius H. Hanford, now United States District Judge of the District of Washington, and Hon. John H. McGraw, now Governor of the state of Washington, under the firm name of Greene, Hanford & McGraw; afterward, in August, the firm was enlarged by the addition of another member, Joseph F. McNaught, Esq., under the firm name of Greene, McNaught, Hanford & McGraw. In July, 1888, the partnership was dissolved by mutual consent, all the partners retiring from practice, the senior partner on account of temporary ill-health, Messrs. McNaught and McGraw to enter other pursuits and Judge Hanford to become chief justice of the Supreme Court of Washington Territory. In 1889 Judge Greene resumed the practice of law, and in 1890 formed a partnership with L. Theodore Turner of Seattle, with whom, under the firm name of Greene & Turner, he has been in full practice ever since, handling in course of his practice many of the most important interests in the state. In 1889 he was trustee and secretary of the Seattle Investment Co. From 1890 to the present time, he has been trustee and secretary of the Seattle Trust Co., $500, 000 capital. From 1890 to 1893 he was trustee and vice-president of the Rainier Power and Railway Co., capital $500, 000. He has been successful in business.
Judge Greene is a member of the Seattle Stevens Post GAR, and has repeatedly been the selection of the Posts of Seattle to address them on Memorial Day.
Politically, he has always been identified with the Republican party until the year 1888, when he joined the Prohibition movement, to which he has ever since adhered. He was, in 1888, the candidate of the Prohibition party for delegate to Congress from Washington, and in 1892 was the Prohibition candidate for Governor of the state.
Religiously, his parents being Congregationalists, his first church connection was with the church of that denomination in Windsor, where his membership remained until after the war. Then he united with the New England Congregational Church of Chicago. Afterward he was a constituent and prominent member of the Lincoln Park Church. On removal to Olympia he joined the Baptist church, with which denomination he has ever since been conspicuously and influentially identified.
Judge Greene was married August 17, 1866, at Whitewater, Wis., to Grace, daughter of Jesse and Rhoda (Brockett) Wooster of Naugatuck, Conn. They have four children: Agnes Margaret, born Oct. 18, 1868; Roger Sherman, born Sept. 29, 1870; Grace Evarts, born Jan. 15, 1875, and Mary Rhoda, born July 27, 1876.
Source: Jacob G. Ullery, compiler, Men of Vermont: An Illustrated Biographical History of Vermonters and Sons of Vermont, (Transcript Publishing Company, Brattleboro, VT, 1894), Part III, p. 74.