Vermont Flag Site Logo

Smalley, Eugene Allen


Age: 0, credited to Burlington, VT
Unit(s): USMC, 19th OH INF
Service: 19th OH INF, USMC [College: UVM 60]

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 01/26/1839, Burlington, VT
Death: 10/26/1913

Burial: Greenmount Cemetery, Burlington, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Kathy Valloch
Findagrave Memorial #: 23319696


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Unknown
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: UVM 60
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Greenmount Cemetery, Burlington, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Eugene A. Smalley

Eugene Allen Smalley was born 26 January 1839, in Burlington, the son of Judge David Allen and Laura Barlow Smalley. One brother, Henry A. Smalley, was colonel of the Fifth VT INF early in the war; another, Jacob M. Smalley (q.v.), was a volunteer officer the U.S. Navy.

Eugene enlisted in Company B, 19th Ohio Infantry, in April 1861. He took part in the West Virginia campaign, was engaged at Rich Mountain, VA, and the advance on Beverly, VA. He mustered out on 6 July 1861.

In August 1861, he was examined at Washington, DC, for a commission in the United States Marine Corps, which he passed, and appointed Second Lieutenant on 29 August. In October, he joined the battalion under Major George J. Reynolds, headed for Port Royal. The battalion embarked the screw sloop Pawnee at Washington Navy Yard, passed the Confederate batteries on the Potomac River at night, without loss. At Fortress Monroe, the command was transferred to the transport Governor. On the night of November 2nd and 3rd, the Governor was wrecked off Cape Hatteras, but Sabine rescued the marines.

The battalion proceeded to its destination, but did not reach Port Royal until after the surrender of Hilton Head and Bay Point, SC.

Smalley was appointed Quartermaster of the battalion, and remained so for the duration of its organization. The battalion participated in the expedition against Fernandina and St. Augustine, Florida. In April 1862, the battalion returned to Washington and soon after was disbanded. Smalley was promoted to First Lieutenant on 16 June 1862, and appointed a member of the Boast of Examiners to examine applicants for commissions. Later that summer he was transferred to Gosport Navy Yard, Norfolk, and in February 1863, was selected to command the marine guard on San Jacinto. San Jacinto sailed to Key West to serve as a flag-ship of the EGBS. On 31 December 1864, San Jacinto was wrecked off the Bahamas. In March 1865, Smalley reported to the Philadelphia Navy Yard for duty. He resigned his commission on 26 July 1866.

Smalley was a railroad clerk in 1880, living in Burlington. In 1900 and 1910, he was a customs clerk, living in Colchester with his wife Abbie M., and two step-children, Chester and Ruth Brownell. He died 26 October 1913, and is buried in Green Mount Cemetery, Burlington.

Benedict; Peck; Callahan; Collum, 122, 127; Hemenway, i:479 (erroneously listed as Salley); 1863, 1865 Naval Register; 1850-1860, 1880 and 1910 Censuses; Sullivan, The First Year, 170-171, 209, The Second Year, 148, The Third Year, 296-297, The Final Year, 228.

Extract from "Green Mountain Mariners in the Civil War," by Tom Ledoux.


Eugene A. Smalley

Burlington, Oct. 27 --- Eugene A. Smalley died yesterday afternoon. He was the fourth son of judge D. A. and Laura (Barlow) Smalley, and was born in Burlington Jan. 26, 1839. He attended Union College and the University of Vermont, and on the outbreak of the Civil War, he enlisted and served through the war.

In business life, Mr. Smalley was engaged with the Central Vermont Railroad from 1880 to 1882, and received the appointment as deputy collector of the United States Customs in September, 1885, continuing the same position until he resigned in 1890. He re-entered the customs service again May 1, 1895, as deputy collector, remaining in office until December, 1910, since when he has quietly passed his time at his country "Cedarhurst" on Malletts Bay.

Mr. Smalley married Oct. 6, 1896 Abbie Duncan Brownell, who died in February, 1911. He is survived by two step-children, Chester A, and Ruth A. Brownell, also by a niece, Mrs. J. Holmes Jackson of this City.

The Barre Daily Times, Oct. 27, 1913

Courtesy of Deanna French.

Previous Page