Case, Charles M.
Age: 0, credited to Woodstock, VTVITALS
Birth: 02/27/1843, Woodstock, VTADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Alias?: None notedDESCENDANTS
Mount Hope Cemetery, Enterprise, KS
Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.
Charles M. Case
Charles M. Case, Cashier of the Bank of Enterprise, Treasurer of the J.B. Ehrsam Machine Company, and proprietor of the Enterprise Journal, was born in Woodstock, Vt., February 27, 1843. He remained in the Green Mountain State until seventeen years of age, when in 1861, he entered the United States Naval Service as Master Mate of the "Penguin." In 1862, he was made Ensign on the "Frazer" gunboat, and was afterward Master of the same vessel on the Potomac. Subsequently, he became Master of the "Anacosta," a steam gunboat, and in 1864 was transferred to the staff of Commodore Parker, Commander of the Potomac fleet (sic), with whom he remained for fifteen months. He was in the service until December, 1865.
At that time, Mr. Case resigned his position to accept the appointment of Consul to Sydney, Australia, which was made by President Lincoln and secured to him through the efforts of Henry J. Raymond, of the New York Times, his personal friends. However, he resigned before entering upon his duties and engaged in business for himself in Savannah, Ga., as a produce and commission merchant. After two years, he was burned out and lost all he had. He then went to New York and engaged in the brokerage business for more than a year, but on the "Black Friday" of history he again lost everything. In 1870, Mr. Case came to Kansas and secured India land in Wilson County. Two years later, he made a homestead in Rice County, where he resided for ten years, and then was engaged in the banking business in Windom, McPherson County. In 1887, he sold out and bought an interest in the Enterprise Bank, of which he has since had the entire management. He and his friends own the controlling interest in the manufacturing company before mentioned, representing $100,000 worth of stock. The Enterprise Bank was incorporated in 1883, with a capital stock of $50,000, $20,000 being paid in. This was increased to $75,000 in 1889, and again increased to $100,000 in 1892. The bank pays a dividend every six months. Its present officers are C.B. Hoffman, President; J. F. Buhrer, Vice-president; and C.M. Case, Cashier. The J.H. Ehrsam Machine Company was incorporated in 1883, with a capital of $30,000. This was increased in 1890 to $60,000, and in 1892 to $100,000, all paid in. The Missouri River jobbing rates have been secured, and the freight bills from January 1 to April 1, 1892, exceeded $6,000. The pay roll averages over $200 daily, and they employ from one hundred and twenty to one hundred and forty men, mostly mechanics. They principally manufacture mill machinery and do a general mill outfitting business, and also manufacture agricultural implements quite extensively. They fill large orders for the Wilson Header, having made six hundred machines in 1892, and they expect to manufacture fifteen hundred the ensuing year. They manufacture the well-known Stickle patents, and their annual business amounts to nearly $500,000. They have a seventy-five horse power water-wheel and engine of equal power. This company also established the electric-light works with an outlay of $8,000, and they do the pumping for the city waterworks. They occupy a large plant and have lately built extensive warehouses, having made $30,000 worth of improvements during the last year.
Mr. Case was largely instrumental in securing the establishment of the Harrison Normal College, which was incorporated in 1889, with C. Hoffman, President; A.G. Eyth, Treasurer; and C.M. Case, Secretary. A subscription list was started, and these gentlemen, in connection with J.F. Buhrer, John A. Hafner, E.F. Grosser and C.B. Hoffman, gave the entire amount, $15,000, with the exception of about $1,000 given in small amounts. They also gave eighty acres of land. The building was erected in 1890, and is a fine three-story structure with fourteen rooms. On the 8th of November, 1866, in Franklin, Conn., Mr. Case was joined in wedlock with Miss Lottie A. Johnson. They have no children of their own, but have an adopted son, Richard J. Case, who is now seven years old. Mrs. Case is a member of the Congregational Church, but as there is no organized society here, she works with Union Sunday-school and is very prominent, being its Superintendent. Her life has been largely devoted to church work, and she is a kind and benevolent lady, whose goodness of heart prompts her to perform many acts of charity. The poor and needy recognize in her a friend, and those in distress are ever sure of her sympathy. She is also connected with the Woman's Christian Temperance Union and one of its leading workers.
Mr. Case is a prominent Mason. He belongs to the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery of Abilene, and to the Scottish Rite of Salina. In politics, he is a stalwart and inflexible adherent of the Republican party and publishes the Enterprise Journal in its interests. He has served for three successive terms as Mayor of Enterprise, being twice unanimously elected, and during his administration the system of city waterworks was established. He is a man of marked social qualities, pleasant and affable in manner, and interesting conversationalist and a genial companion.
He has an elegant home, commanding a view of the town and surrounding country, and has one of the finest and choicest private libraries to be found in the State. It contains several hundred volumes, works of the best authors, and indicates the refinement and cultured taste of the owner. As a business man, Mr. Case has been eminently successful. He is industrious, enterprising and progressive, and in the legitimate channels of business has won a well-deserved prosperity.
Portrait and Biographical Record of Dickinson, Saline, McPherson and Marion Counties, Kansas, (Chicago, Chapman Bros., 1893) pp 199-200