Vermont Flag Site Logo

Individual Record

Stoughton, Homer Richard

Age: 25, credited to Randolph, VT
Unit(s): 2nd USSS
Service: comn CPT, Co. E, 2nd USSS, 9/25/61 (9/25/61), pr MAJ 9/17/62, pr LTC 6/24/63, pr COL 1/19/64 (1/19/64), wdd, Spotsylvania, 5/10/64, pow, Petersburg, 6/21/64, prld 12/1/64, m/o 1/23/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

Birth: 11/13/1836, Quechee, VT
Death: 1902

Burial: Elmwood Cemetery, Barre, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 13245227
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 7/21/1890, MI
Portrait?: White Collection, VHS off-site
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Brother of Henry Nathaniel Corey Stoughton, 13th MI INF

2nd Great Grandfather of Homer R. Stoughton 3rd, Johnson City, TN

2nd Great Grandfather of Thomas J. Basnight, Speculator, NY

2nd Great Grandfather of Mary Elizabeth Stoughton, Anacortes, WA

Great Grandfather of Peter Beisler, Rangeley, ME

Great Grandfather of David J. Beisler, Jamesville, NY

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

Copyright notice


Elmwood Cemetery, Barre, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.

(Courtesy of Mary E. Stoughton)


Col. Homer R. Stoughton, With his erect form, military bearing, gray beard and bluff, hearty manners, is the ideal of the Vermont veteran, and is widely and favorably known in the military and railroad circles of the state. He was born in Quechee Village in Hartford, Vt., November 13, 1836, the youngest of the nine children of Richard M. and Polly G. Stoughton.

His education was completed at Royalton Academy. He entered the employ of the Vermont Central R. R. in his seventeenth year, was agent at various stations on that road until the war, and with the exception of his war service and about seven years spent in the south and west, has been in the employ of that corporation ever since.

In September, 1861, he was commissioned by Gov. Erastus Fairbanks to raise a company for Col. Berdan's U. S. Sharp Shooters. He was promoted major on the field of Antietam, September 17, 1862, later lieutenant-colonel, and January 19, 1864, colonel of the second regiment of sharp shooters. His regiment held the key to the Union position of Little Round Top at Gettysburg, and harassed the advancing gray columns with deadly effect. Col. Stoughton was wounded at Spotsylvania, May 10, 1864, and was captured June 21 at Petersburg. He spent nearly six months in rebel prisons, at Libby, Macon, Ca., Charles, S.C. and at Columbia, S. C., was paroled in December, 1861, and was discharged January 23, 1865. He soon resumed his service with the Vermont Central as agent until Jan. 1, 1885. He then went to Shelby, Ala., as auditor for the Shelby Iron Co., was soon made general manager, and later vice-president until the sale of the plant in 1891. December, 1892, he resumed service with the Central Vermont, was made agent at Barre, July 1, 1895, and the following December superintendent of the M. and W. R. Div. C. V. R. R. Col. Stoughton is a member of the Congregational Church, and has been identified with Sabbath school work for a quarter of a century. He married Miss C. A. Atwood of Ripton, and after her death Miss E. L. Gilchrist of Northfield Vt., in 1869, and they have seven children.

Col. Stoughton is a representative business man of unquestioned integrity and capacity, and in the true sense a Christian gentleman.

The Barre Enterprise (Illustrated Edition), Barre, Vermont, April 27, 1897
Contributed by Denis & Karen Jaquish.


The Kalamazoo Gazette-News

Kalamazoo, Mich., Saturday Morning, September 20, 1902. NO 227

Died While Visiting Otsego.

Otsego, Mich., Sept. 19. Colonel Homer Stoughton, aged 66, of Barre, Vermont, here on a visit, was stricken with apoplexy and died within an hour. He was a colonel in Berdan's sharpshooters during the civil war and an employee of the Vermont Central Railroad. He leaves a widow, who accompanied him on his visit and six children. The remains will be taken to Vermont.

The Evening Press. Five O'Clock

Grand Rapids, Mich., Thursday, September 18, 1902

Died Far From Home.

Vermont Man Was Stricken With Apoplexy at Otsego.

Otsego, Sept. 18. Col. Homer R. Stoughton and wife of Barry, Vt., arrived last Friday to visit Captain and Mrs. H. C. Stoughton of this place. The two brothers attended the ball game yesterday afternoon and while there Colonel Stoughton was stricken with apoplexy. He was taken to his brother's home and died soon after. Mr. Stoughton was a colonel in Berdan's sharp shooter's in the Civil war, and was 66 years old.

St. Albans Daily Messenger

ST. ALBANS, VT., THURSDAY, September 18, 1902


Col. H. R. Stoughton.

Col. H. R. Stoughton, a popular and widely known resident of Barre and superintendent of the Barre Branch of the Central Vermont railway, died Wednesday afternoon in Otsego, Mich. Death was due to heart failure and was sudden as he dropped dead while supposedly in his usual health. His wife was with him in Otsego. His son, Homer R. Stoughton, left for Michigan Wednesday night and with Mrs. Stoughton, will accompany the body to Barre for burial.

Colonel Stoughton would have been 66 years old in November. He was born in Quebec and from the age of seventeen until the present day, with the exception of eight years in Alabama and the time spent in the Union army during the Civil War, had been a constant employee of the Central Vermont Railway. In September 1861, he raised a company of sharpshooters and served with gallantry throughout the war. He participated in many engagements and was captured and taken prisoner at Petersboro. He was confined in the rebel prison pens at Bacon, Charlestown, and Columbia, S. C.

He married Miss C. A. Atwood, of Ripton, who, with seven children, survives him. He moved to Barre in December 1892, having previously resided in Randolph and South Royalton. He had also lived in Oberlin Ohio, and in Alabama a period of eight years. In the latter place, he was at first auditor of the Shelby Iron Co. and later its general manager and vice-president.

Colonel Stoughton had been in poor health for several months past and went west in the hope of receiving benefit there.

Contributed by Bob Hackett.