Vermont Flag Site Logo

Tyler, John Steele


Age: 19, credited to Brattleboro, VT
Unit(s): 2nd VT INF
Service: comn 1LT, Co. C, 2nd VT INF, 5/17/61 (5/17/61), pr CPT, 1/23/62 (1/23/62), pr MAJ, 2/9/63 (2/23/63), pr LTC, 4/2/64 (4/21/64), mwia, Wilderness, 5/5/64, d/wds 5/23/64

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 1843, Seneca, NY
Death: 05/23/1864

Burial: Prospect Hill Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes
Portrait?: Gibson Collection, Italo Collection, Jones Collection, VHS Collections
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice





Prospect Hill Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Second Vermont Infantry Album (SP973.744 V2)
Courtesy Vermont Historical Society

Second Infantry Album (FB-4)
Courtesy Vermont Historical Society


George W. Flagg's Second Vermont Infantry Album
Courtesy Vermont Historical Society

(Gibson Collection)


(Italo Collection)


(Jones Collection)


Colonel Tyler was one of many promising young men who left pleasant and comfortable homes in Vermont, and went forth to do battle in the war of the great rebellion, and never returned. He was a son of Rev. Thomas P. Tyler, D. D., of Batavia, N. Y., and grandson of the late Hon. Royall Tyler, for sixteen years judge of the Supreme Court of Vermont. Lieutenant Colonel Tyler graduated, at the age of fifteen, at a school in Connecticut, where students were instructed and drilled in military tactics. At sixteen years of age, he entered the law office of his uncle, Hon. Royall Tyler, of Brattleboro', as a student, and two years afterward, in April 1861, enlisted as a private in Company C., Second Regiment Vermont Volunteers, and was elected First Lieutenant; promoted Captain, January 23, 1862; Major, February 9, 1863; Lieutenant Colonel, April 2, 1864, and Colonel May 6, 1864. He died at the Metropolitan Hotel, New York City, on the 23d of May 1864, of wounds received in the battle of the Wilderness on the 5th.

Colonel Tyler's military record in the field is identical with that of the Second Vermont Regiment, which will be found in this book. Colonel Tyler distinguished himself in his regiment for his gentlemanly and soldier-like bearing, and in many battles for his gallantry receiving the commendation of his superior officers. He left behind him many friends, who feel that this was a noble sacrifice laid upon the altar of their country.

Source: Waite's "Vermont in the Great Rebellion," pp 263-4.


State Intelligence

Lt. Col. Tyler -- The Springfield Republican has the following obituary notice of Lt. Col. Tyler, of the 2d Vt. regiment: "The body of Lieut. Col. John S. Tyler, of the 2d Vermont regiment, passed through this city last night, on the way to his former home in Brattleboro. Lieut. Col. Tyler was a son of Rev. Pitman (sic) Tyler, of Brattleboro, and nephew of Gen. John S. Tyler, a prominent merchant of Boston. He enlisted as a private three years ago, by gallant conduct worked his way up through every grade to the second rank in his regiment, and was in command the first day of the Wilderness fight, after the death of Col. Stone, where he received a serious wound in the thigh, from the effects of which he died in the Metropolitan hotel, New York, Saturday night. He was only 21, a boy in years, but a man in heroic thought and deed. When he received the wound he expected it would be mortal, but forbade his men to leave the ranks to attend to him, cheering them on against the enemy.

Source: The Manchester Journal, May 31, 1864

Previous Page