Parker, Luther Fletcher
Age: 0, credited to Peacham, VTVITALS
Birth: 09/22/1821, Coventry, VTADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Alias?: None notedDESCENDANTS
Peacham Corner Cemetery, Peacham, VT
Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.
Parker, Luther Fletcher of Peacham son of Isaac and Arabella Cobb Parker was born in Coventry Sept 22, 1821. The early education of Mr. Luther Parker was obtained in the schools of Coventry and in Brownington and Peacham Academies and while a student he taught in Coventry and the neighboring towns. In 1844 he entered the U. V. M., but after remaining two years was obliged to leave the university on account of ill-health, when he again taught for two years at Coventry Falls. He then commenced the study of medicine in the office of Dr. G. W. Cobb, of Peacham, and after the latter's death continued with his successor, Dr. Farr, attending a course of lectures at Dartmouth and Woodstock. He was subsequently requested by Dr. Brewer, of Barnet, to assume his large practice, which he retained till his removal to Peacham, when he purchased the professional connection of Dr. Farr. In 1864 he received the diploma of M. D. from Dartmouth College. For forty years he has had a large and extensive practice, has kept fully abreast with the great advance of medical science for the past half-century, and has gained a high reputation as a consulting physician in all the surrounding country. Dr. Parker is the proprietor of a farm in Peacham which he himself operates. Formerly a Whig, but now a Republican, though often sought for political office, he has always refused to serve, except in 1886 and 1888, when he represented Peacham in the Legislature, in both sessions being a member of the temperance and ways and means committees. He has always been active in securing and enforcing prohibitory laws. He was sent, after the battle of the Wilderness, in charge of a sum of money collected in Peacham for the sanitary commission When he arrived at the front the exigency of the occasion was so great that he gave his professional services freely to the wounded in that great battle.
He has been a member of several medical societies, of Peacham Congregational Church, the Vermont Home Missionary Society and always a generous contributor to different religious organizations. Dr. Parker married, June 6, 1850, Louisa, daughter of Deacon Moses and Jane Adelaine Martin Martin, of Peacham. Of this union are issue: Mrs. E. C. Hardy, of Framingham, Mass, Mrs. W. H. Bayley, of Peacham, Mrs, G. B. M. Harvey of New York, H. M., of Minneapolis Minn., and Lizzie A.
Source: Jacob G. Ullery, compiler, Men of Vermont: An Illustrated Biographical History of Vermonters and Sons of Vermont, (Transcript Publishing Company, Brattleboro, VT, 1894), Part II, p. 300.
PEACHAM--Dr. Luther F. Parker, who died Sept. 12th, was born in Coventry Sept. 22, 1821. He was the second son of Isaac and Arabella Cobb Parker. About 1840 he came to Peacham and fitted for college, and taught at the Academy. In 1844 he entered Burlington College and took one half of the course, being compelled to leave at the end of his sophomore year on account of ill health. After recovering his health he studied medicine at Peacham, and in the medical department at Dartmouth College, and began practice in Barnet about the beginning of 1850. In 1854 he moved to Peacham where he has ever since resided.
In June 1850 he was married to Louisa Martin who died in 1896. Dr. Parker inherited a strong constitution and vigorous mind. He had the good fortune of having both a paternal and and maternal ancestry of exceptional physical and mental strength, who have been identified with the progress and development of New England almost from the landing of the Mayflower.
On the character and life of life of Dr. Parker much might be said, but little need be said. The history of his life is indelibly recorded wherever his influence has extended. He has clearly identified with this town, its people, its institutions, for nearly 60 years, constantly devoting his energies in advancing their best interests, alway a relentless foe of evil, and an untiring friend of the good.
How deeply he was rooted in the hearts of people was proven by the stained cheeks of the great number as they took their last look as he lay in his casket. He was loved as a tender sympathetic physician, a great hearted man, a devoted friend. Generous to a fault and of the broadest sympathies, he was always sacrificing his personal interests to help others. He neither spared his strength when sickness called, nor his energies or money when a good cause required promoting. In his death the community has lost a physician of first rank, and the warmest friend of its material, educational and religious interests.
He leaves one son, Merrill E. of Minneapolis, Minn., and four daughters; Mrs. Jane Harding of South Framingham. Mass., Elizabeth Parker of Peacham, Mrs. Nellie Bayley of Peacham, and Mrs. Alma Harvey of New York, also three sisters, and two brothers.
St. Johsbury Caledonian, Sept. 21, 1898
Courtesy of Deanna French.