Warren, Charles C.
Age: 18, credited to Whitingham, VTVITALS
Birth: 02/11/1843, Hartland, VTADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Alias?: None notedDESCENDANTS
Hope/Village Cemetery, Waterbury, VT
Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.
Warren, Charles Carleton, of Waterbury, son of Charles W. and Julia (Perry) Warren, was born in Hartland, Feb. 11, 1843.
He was educated in the schools of the place of his nativity and at Kimball Union Academy, Meriden, N. H. In 1862, at the age of nineteen, he joined the band attached to the 1st Brigade Vt. Vols., with which he remained till they were discharged from service. After his return from the war he was for some time employed in a tannery belonging to his father, but in 1868 he leased a large establishment in Waterbury which he subsequently purchased and where he has since conducted an extensive and constantly increasing business, making a specialty of manufacturing harness leather. In 1887 Mr. Warren extended his operations by the purchase of a large farm, which he successfully devoted in great measure to dairy products. This he afterwards sold to the state as a site for the new asylum for the insane at Waterbury village. He holds strong Republican views, and in 1890 was appointed a member of the board of fish commissions that established the first fish hatchery in the state. Though hampered at first by insufficient appropriations and other obstacles, the board, owing largely to the persevering efforts of Mr. Warren, has finally met with great success.
He was united in marriage Dec. 15, 1873, to Ella F., daughter of Jerry and Florella (Broadwick) McElmore of Middlesex. Two children have been born to them: Kate Grace, and Charles Carleton, Jr.
Mr. Warren is a member of Edwin Dillingham Post, GAR, of Waterbury, and has also taken the obligations of the Masonic order, uniting with Vermont Lodge, No. 18, of Windsor.
Source: Jacob G. Ullery, compiler, Men of Vermont: An Illustrated Biographical History of Vermonters and Sons of Vermont, (Transcript Publishing Company, Brattleboro, VT, 1894), Part II, p. 421.