Site Logo
Home Page | Cemeteries | Battles | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Witherell, Nathaniel G. B.


Age: 32, credited to Cavendish, VT
Unit(s): 1st VT INF, 1st VT CAV
Service: enl 5/2/61, m/i 5/9/61, CPL, Co. E, 1st VT INF, m/o 8/15/61; enl 10/12/61, m/i 11/19/61, CPL, Co. E, 1st VT CAV, pow, Ashby's Gap/Warrenton, VA, 9/22/62, Richmond, prld 11/21/62, m/o 5/5/63, enl, 11/1/64, same Co., m/o 6/21/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: abt 1829, Grand Isle, VT
Death: 12/28/1877

Burial: Pleasant View Cemetery, Ludlow, VT
Marker/Plot: 6-166
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 112627700


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, widow Candace L, 4/5/1878
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: 1890 - Widow Candice L. living in Chester, VT


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Pleasant View Cemetery, Ludlow, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Nathan G. B. Witherell

Witherell, Nathan G. B. - - born Grand Isle, Vt., 1829, son of James and Zamie (Berry) Witherell.. He died of Bright's disease at his home in Reading, 28 Dec., 1877 (age 48 years, 4 months, 13 days). He was married in Ludlow, Vt. 26 May, 1863 to Candace L. Bishop. He was a soldier of the Civil War, Co. "E", 1st Vt. One of his sisters, Mrs. S. L. White of Ludlow, Vt. wrote a tribute to him and it appeared in the Vermont Tribune newspaper on 11 Jan., 1878: "when our country called for men to stand in her defence, he was among the first to leave home and friends, and amid the dire conflict, received injuries causing spinal trouble, and Bright's disease, terminating in disease of the heart and after 15 yrs of more or less suffering, his release came. During the last few months of his life, his mind was beclouded some part of the time, at other times, perfectly clear. Theree years ago, he was soundly converted and for a time ran well, but for reasons we cannot here mention, he yielded to the tempfer, let go his hold on Christ. Some three months previous to his death, he sought earnestly and found peace, and from that time, when often asked, "How is it with your soul?" he would reply, "I am to leave my family but it is all right with me." Eight days before his death he called for his children, and as we all gathered around his bed, he called us all by name, asked his wife and children to remember what he had said to them; he looked up in our faces, and then said, "come, come," and I said, "come Lord Jesus," he said, "Yes, yes, that is it, come quickly." He sank away for a few moments, when he rallied again and said, "we've a --" I said, "a home over there," He said, "yes, sing it," and struck in and sang with panting breath nearly two verses. At the close of the first verse he moved his hand and said, "yes, we've a home over there." He was much in prayer and twice was heard to say, "glory, glory, glory." Only expressions of trust fell from his lips, not a doubt or fear, did he express. We've no doubt of his safety." Rest for the toiling hand, Rest for the anxious brow; Rest for the weary, wayworn feet, Rest from all labor now, Rest for the fevered brain, Rest for the weeping eyes; Through these parched lips, no more Shall pass the moan, or sigh. Rest on the other shore, In Jesus' arms today. Resting yes, resting forevermore, In the long, sweet bye-and-bye. --Mrs. S. L. White, Ludlow, Vt."

Source: The Vermont Tribune, Ludlow, Vermont. Contributed by Linda M. Welch, Windsor County researcher.