Vermont Flag Site Logo

Bradford, Philander Drury

MILITARY SERVICE

Age: 0, credited to Northfield, VT
Unit(s): 5th VT INF
Service: comn SURG, 5th VT INF, 12/3/62 (12/3/62), resgd 3/1/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

VITALS

Birth: 04/09/1811, Randolph, VT
Death: 07/16/1892

Burial: Elmwood Cemetery, Northfield, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Kathy Valloch
Findagrave Memorial #: 60202429

MORE INFORMATION

Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Unknown
Portrait?: VHS Collections
College?: WMS 34, UVM 50, NU 82
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

DESCENDANTS

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

BURIAL:

Copyright notice

Tombstone

Elmwood Cemetery, Northfield, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Photo

VHS - Reunion Society Collection

Philander D. Bradford

PROF. PHILANDER DRURY BRADFORD, M. D., A. M.

Philander D. Bradford, son of John and Lucy (Brooks) Bradford, was born in Randolph, Vt., April 11, 1811 and died in Northfield, Vt., July 16, 1892. In 1815, upon the death of his mother, he went to live with relatives in Alstead, N. H., and in 1826, he returned to Randolph, Vt., where he attended the f among Orange County Grammar School at the Center. He studied medicine with his brother Dr. Austin Bradford of Randolph, 1831-32; graduated M. D., from the Vermont Medical College, Woodstock, in 1834; received the degree of A. M. from the University of Vermont in 1850, and the same degree from "N.U.,"inl882.

He began the practice of his profession in Braintree, Vt., in 1834, and subsequently practiced in Randolph and Bethel. In 1854, he located in Northfield, Vt., where he made his home until his death. He continued his practice in Northfield until 1890. He was professor of Physiology and Pathology at the Castleton, Vt., Medical College, 1857-62. He served as surgeon of the 5th Vermont Infantry, December 3, 1862 until March 1, 1863, when he resigned.

He was at first a "Free Soiler" in politics and later a Republican and held many offices; represented Randolph in the House of Representatives in 1853-54; State senator in 1862 and 1863; served as commissioner of insane in 1854 and 1855.

He took an active interest in the University, serving as trustee from 1867 until his death. He was a member of the committee, which secured the location of the University in Northfield and was especially active in the interests of the Institution during the dark days of 1880-84; was professor of the natural Sciences at "N. U.," 1866-70; Physiology, 1866-74; 1883-89; Anatomy, 1883-89, Histology, 1870-74. He was lecturer on Natural History, 1874-83, Physiology, 1874-80; Natural Sciences, 1866-70; surgeon, 1870-89; librarian, 1870-75.

He was a member of the Episcopal Church; DeWitt Clinton Lodge, F. and A. M.; I. O. O. F., serving as Grand Master in 1860; and a member of the Right Worthy Grand Lodge of the United States during 1875-76; was prominent in the Sons of Temperance of Vermont, serving as its chief officer in 1861. He was a member of the Vermont Medical Society, serving as its president in 1863.

He was twice married: first, in 1835 to Susan H. Edson of Randolph, who died October 15, 1865. One child: Ellen Eliza, married George W. Soper, (q. v.) of Northfield, died April 12, 1889. He was again married in May, 1867, to Olive Moore of Sharon, who died August 5, 1890; no children.

Ellis, 3:77

Obituary

Another Physician Dead

Dr. Philander D. Bradford died at Northfield on Saturday evening, after a long illness. He was born in Randolph on April 11, 1811, and in 1833 graduated from Woodstock Medical College, receiving the degree of A.M. in 1850 from the University of Vermont. He has resided in Northfield since 1854 and was well known and well liked. During the war he was surgeon of the 5th Vt. Vols., in 1862-3 a member of the senate, and in 1863 president of the Vermont Medical Society.

Source: St. Johnsbury Caledonian, July 21, 1892
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.

Previous Page