Vermont Flag Site Logo

Herrick, George W.


Age: 23, credited to Vermont
Unit(s): 9th MN INF
Service: enl 8/20/62, Pvt, Co. B, 9th MN INF, pr SGT, m/o 8/24/65, Ft. Snelling, MN

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 09/28/1838, Morristown, VT
Death: 05/19/1887

Burial: Lakewood Cemetery, Minneapolis, MN
Marker/Plot: Section 6, Lot 181, Grave 1
Gravestone researcher/photographer:
Findagrave Memorial #: 117501544


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, widow Salome
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Died in Monticello, MN


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice

Lakewood Cemetery, Minneapolis, MN Monticello, MN

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.



The following is taken from the Monticello. Minn. Times, of May 26:

At 11 o'clock p.m. on Tuesday, May 19, there passed from among us George W. Herrick, a man who will be greatly missed by the people of Monticello and surrounding country, Less than two weeks before his death he was at his usual place of business in apparent good health'.On the 5th, inst. he complained of feeling unwell, and for thirteen days grappled with the fell disease which fastened itself upon his body, and fell a victim to its power, inspite of caring nursing and all the medical skill could do to stem the ravages of the destroyer. His death is a great loss to the town, as Mr. Herrick was a man of many virtues, upright and manly in his actions, pushing and energetic in all business relations in public as well as private.

George W. Herrick was born in Morristown, Vt., Sept. 28, 1838. In 1855 he came West with his parents, who settled in Dubuque, Iowa, where he united with the Baptist Church. He remained there until 1858, when he came to Minneapolis, Minn. In August, 1862 he enlisted as a private in the 16th Minnesota volunteer infantry, which was ordered to the front to fight against Indians, where he remained with his regiment until October, 1863, when it was ordered South. The first serious battle which he was engaged in was at Guntown, Miss., where his regiment lost 275 men. He was also in the Battles of Ripley, Tupelo, Nashville, Spanish Fort, and several other minor engagements. While in the war he was promoted from Private to Sergeant, and then to First Lieutenant, which position he occupied until the day of his discharge, August 24, 1866.

After the war he was engaged in the marble business, which he sold to Sullivan and Farnham of Minneapolis a few years ago, for which firm he acted a agent until about one year ago.. After selling out his business he bought the beautiful place where he lived until he died, removing to Monticello in 1879. A year ago last April he associated himself with E.B. McCord, Charles Bradford and N.S. DeMille in the banking business, and was a member of the firm when he died. He was a manly man, a good citizen, a kind husband and father, a brave soldier and a steadfast Christian, dying in the hope of a blessed immortality through Jesus Christ his Lord.

Submitted by Deanna French.

Previous Page