Vermont Flag Site Logo

Curtis, William Buckingham


Age: 0, credited to Salisbury, VT
Unit(s): 19th IL INF
Service: 1ST, Co. A, SGTMJR, 2LT, Co. A, 19th IL INF

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 01/17/1837, Salisbury, VT
Death: 06/30/1900

Burial: Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx, NY
Marker/Plot: 40.89064, -73.87428
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 105483214


Alias?: None Noted
Pension?: Not Found
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Died during an ice-storm attempting to climb Mount Washington, NH.


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx, NY

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.



News of the death of William B. Curtis, founder of the New York Athletic Club, and Allen Ormsbee, of Boston, was formally announced at the New York Athletic Club House last night, and a committee of three, consisting of Henry Buermier, Samuel J. Montgomery, and Mortimer Bishop, were appointed to receive the bodies.

Frederick B. Llgen, who had charge of the bodies, telegraphed Mr. Montgomery last evening that the bodies would not reach this city until 11:35 o'clock this morning. It was decided that the committee, and a delegation from the club would meet the train and escort the bodies to the Presbyterian Church, where Dr. Johnson would conduct the services. The burial will then take place in Woodlawn.

Curtis and Ormsbee were attending the annual meeting of the Appalachian Mountain Club, and had decided to climb Mount Washington. They were caught by a fierce storm, and they died of exposure, while trying to push on to a place of shelter.

The announcement of the death of William B. Curtis, of the New York Athletic club, was received yesterday with sincere expressions of sorrow by all that knew the man, who, for years, was called "Father Bill" Curtis. He was well and favorably known in the athletic world on both sides of the Atlantic. While Mr. Curtis was sixty-four years old, he was a remarkably sprightly man, and had officiated as referee at more athletic meets than any other dozen men in the district. Only recently the inter collegiate Athletic Association presented Mr. Curtis a handsome silver loving cup, in recognition of his service to athletics in the last twenty-odd years.

Mr. Curtis was considered a consumtive in his youth, and was advised to give as much time as possible to out-door sports. He was one of the corporators of the New York Athletic Club, and had served as its president.

When a young man he won many races on the Cinder Path, but he was more proud of his heavyweight throwing and weight lifting. He is still credited with lifting in harness, a heavier load than any man had ever done.

He served in the Army during the Civil War. He was a pathfinder of the Fresh Air Club, and was seeking a route for the July 4 tour, when he met his death. Mr. Curtis was accompanied by Allen Ormsbee, and the two bodies were found close together.

Allen Ormsbee, who lived at 183 Joralemon Street, Brooklyn, was twenty-eight years old, and was employed by the Russell and Irwin Manufacturing Company, at No 45 Chambers-st., Manhattan. He was an active member of the Crescent Athletic Club, of Brooklyn.

When the news of Mr. Ormsbee's death reached the club the flag was hauled down to half mast. He was a member of the 23d Regiment, and served for eight years in Company A. About a year ago he resigned from the regiment, in order to give more attention to his business interests.

His father, A. I. Ormsbee, is a member of the Stock Exchange. Young Ormsbee was an enthusiastic, amateur photographer, and was a member of the Fresh Air Club.

New York Tribune, July 4, 1900
Courtesy of Deanna French

Previous Page